News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Re: Bring Back the Lash ...
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
The Herald is part of that annoying cookie-dependent MNG system, so those who want to be able to get to the article directly can check out

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_12071306?nclick_check=1&forced=true

This articles says: "The country club has about a half dozen cases of vandalism to its courses each year, Bowhay said. More often than not, no one is caught."

Six cases of vandalism each year! No one is caught!  What's going on here?  Seriously.  I've never been to the Monterey Peninsula, but my image is not of a place where this could happen.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
Rescended
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:20:35 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bruce Leland

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
I say press-gang them into the Royal Navy.  Along with the lash they'll get rum and sodomy too!
Priceless!! 
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »
The fact that there is control of who enters the area of Pebble Beach would allow one to conclude that the list of vandals could certainly be a short one. The notion that it is a disgruntled adult employee is a strong possibility. Drunk teenagers would never put in the effort to cause this level of damage. It is sad when people fail to follow The Golden Rule!
                                  Jack

Joe Hancock

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:31 PM »
The fact that there is control of who enters the area of Pebble Beach would allow one to conclude that the list of vandals could certainly be a short one. The notion that it is a disgruntled adult employee is a strong possibility. Drunk teenagers would never put in the effort to cause this level of damage. It is sad when people fail to follow The Golden Rule!
                                  Jack

Jack,

I used to own a golf course next to a campground. One morning we came in to 4 greens with similar damage as the one shown here. They used a camping hatchet and a camp shovel to do their worst. They also left a trail of beer cans, a cheap brand and many of them. We had a shotgun start event that morning, and most of the golfers picked up on those greens and offered condolences as we worked tirelessly to get things back together.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
Rescended

Mike,

One only has to sit in the waiting room of a cancer hospital to understand human suffering and injustice.

But, just because there are more calamatous events/tragedies in the world doesn't mean that we should give criminal activity a free pass if there's no bodily harm done.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
In trying to imagine the pattern of the damage (if there is one) it looks like a fairly systematic attempt was made to probe all around the green.  The article mentions broken rakes, and one only sees one rake tyne side up in the big hole and one broken off to the side near the bunker sticking in the ground, and I don't know if that is a broken off handle next to the big hole.  But, if there were more broken off handles about, with soil around the broken ends, it might almost seem a mob was probing specifically for something.  the must have had one shovel and took it with them.

So, on a goofy and wild hunch, I'd ask... was there anything like one of these stupid radio station "treasure hunts" with some clue like next to the ocean on a green place... yada yada.  It just seems to me that it isn't all that random in that there seem to be many probe holes on the green, with a large effort to dig up something at one place. Why no damage off the green?  Why so much effort in one spot on the courese (14th green) and then on one spot on the green? 

I'd like to work on that case...  ;) ;D 8)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:59:26 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Elvins

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »
Very lucky that no one was killed. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:51 AM »
Someone might be if they catch the culprits!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 02:14:34 AM »
The article says the super estimated $6-8000 damage.  I'd do a different evaluation.  I'd take the cost of a yearly membership and all the required extra bar and food tab, etc.  then divide that by average number of rounds a year, then divide that by 18 holes, to find what cost per hole for members to play, then figure out how many average weeks loss for repairs effecting average number of rounds per member.  I'll bet you get a big number there.  Then add in the 6-8000 it might take to fix the physical damage.  I'd get the number reasonably or justifiably as high as you can, so that there will be a higher perceived loss in $$$ so that the Sheriff's office make it a high priority crime to find the vandals. 

I've heard that many courses are now putting out cameras, and even night vision stuff. 

What are the rules out there about public being able to walk the beaches all night?  Is that common out there near MPCC?  If anyone can walk those beaches anytime of day or night, and it is common to do, perhaps someone else saw it, besides a bigger pool of who had access to do it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »

Why no damage off the green?  Why so much effort in one spot on the courese (14th green) and then on one spot on the green? 

Dick,

The green is adjacent to the 17 Mile Drive and there is a footpath some fity yards away.

Easy access.

Bob

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
That really stinks...no question about it. I hope the club has insurance against it?

I suppose there is a constant risk for MPCC being so close to the road and the beach that people may wander up to the course.
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 02:37:27 PM »
Seems to me its just as easy to hit any of the 7 courses that are in the general ocean vicinity.  Whether it be Pacific Grove, Spanish, MPCC Dunes, Shore, Spyglass, Cypress, or Pebble.

Its a shame though, and unfortunate that is happens. I would disagree with Pat that it was a targeted malicious thing.  It could have just as easily been some drunk kids out wreaking havoc in a random nature.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
I had written to Bob that because it looks more purposeful and confined to this green, which if I'm not mistaken is on the ocean side of 17 mile drive, and right next to the beach, that perhaps a beachcomber with a metal detector and a shovel did this.  How many folks carry a shovel with them?  All the holes poked with what looks to be broken rake end, seem to be probing.  I wonder if a metal detector guy and his gang didn't do this probing all over the green, then found a strong hit and dug in a certain place.  Security cameras are a great thing.  They should have a 24/7 web cam recorder there scanning the general vicinity.  It wouldn't cost what the repair will be.  It wouldn't prevent it so much as help catching the goofs or deter them.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »
I had written to Bob that because it looks more purposeful and confined to this green, which if I'm not mistaken is on the ocean side of 17 mile drive, and right next to the beach, that perhaps a beachcomber with a metal detector and a shovel did this.  How many folks carry a shovel with them?  All the holes poked with what looks to be broken rake end, seem to be probing.  I wonder if a metal detector guy and his gang didn't do this probing all over the green, then found a strong hit and dug in a certain place.  Security cameras are a great thing.  They should have a 24/7 web cam recorder there scanning the general vicinity.  It wouldn't cost what the repair will be.  It wouldn't prevent it so much as help catching the goofs or deter them.

RJ,

I would agree with the cameras.  Technology like this is so cheap these days and easy to implement with Wireless.  And they wouldn't need to have much storage either as they could overwrite the previous nights video on a daily basis.  My buddy did this at his house with 4-5 external cameras and put an end to the semi-frequent break-ins he was having.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
In trying to imagine the pattern of the damage (if there is one) it looks like a fairly systematic attempt was made to probe all around the green.  The article mentions broken rakes, and one only sees one rake tyne side up in the big hole and one broken off to the side near the bunker sticking in the ground, and I don't know if that is a broken off handle next to the big hole.  But, if there were more broken off handles about, with soil around the broken ends, it might almost seem a mob was probing specifically for something.  the must have had one shovel and took it with them.

So, on a goofy and wild hunch, I'd ask... was there anything like one of these stupid radio station "treasure hunts" with some clue like next to the ocean on a green place... yada yada.  It just seems to me that it isn't all that random in that there seem to be many probe holes on the green, with a large effort to dig up something at one place. Why no damage off the green?  Why so much effort in one spot on the courese (14th green) and then on one spot on the green? 

I'd like to work on that case...  ;) ;D 8)

Ya know, Dick, Robert Louis Stevenson used to live nearby. Maybe he left a treasure map that has recently fallen into the wrong hands...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

David_Elvins

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
Ya know, Dick, Robert Louis Stevenson used to live nearby. Maybe he left a treasure map that has recently fallen into the wrong hands...
Robert Louis Stevenson's original routing of Cypress point?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

James Bennett

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
David

no, Stevenson's Ranch (sp.).

;)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike McGuire

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:57 PM »

RJ,

I would agree with the cameras.  Technology like this is so cheap these days and easy to implement with Wireless.  And they wouldn't need to have much storage either as they could overwrite the previous nights video on a daily basis.  My buddy did this at his house with 4-5 external cameras and put an end to the semi-frequent break-ins he was having.

Cameras I am familiar with are able to play prerecorded messages during specific times if they detect motion or infrared. So between 10 PM and 5 AM if anyone is on the green play a message " you are trespassing and being recorded, leave immediately. The video has already been sent to the police"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back