News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Re: Dunes Golf and Beach Club
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2002, 09:06:42 PM »
I just got back from my trip to Myrtle Beach today. I got a chance to play at the Dunes twice and at Doak's Heathland course at Legends (I thought it was a good job on his part- very poor land to start with and he was able to craft it into an enjoyable course with some neat holes- one has to remember he designed it for Myrtle Beach resort golf- thus it cannot be considered in the same class as the Dunes)

To sum it up in a nutshell- if you are anywhere near Myrtle Beach I cannot recommend the Dunes highly enough!

The Dunes is a GREAT golf course- i absolutely loved it and wish I could have played it even more than I did. It is my favorite RTJ course- in my opinion the design is better at the Dunes than at my other favorites: Spyglass and Mauna Kea- however the settings at Spyglass and Mauna Kea are hard to beat .

In any case the stretch of holes 11-13 at the Dunes is truly all world- the 11th does resemble a cape hole-requiring two really good shots to find the green, #12 is an incredibly beautiful and demanding 245 par 3 across a marsh and #13 is one of the world's greatest par 5-s a 590 boomerang around a lake. 18 is a great and heroic finishing hole- 440 yards with the second shot over a lake to a green surrounded by bunkers. Every hole on the course has something going for it. There is some amazing bunkering on this course and the greens are really interesting- At 7150 yards it is a demanding struggle for all but the worlds longest hitters.

JakaB:
The Dunes is truly an oasis in the sea of mediocrity that is Myrtle Beach. You were absolutely right that there are better places to go to play golf- however the Dunes is the exception to the rule. There aren't the tourists there that exist at the other courses- it is a private club that allows limited public play to those who stay at certain hotels or have their head pros arrange reciprocal play (I did the latter). While the area of Myrtle was really dissapointing with its McDonalds, Dollar Stores and Hooters (Not to mention the biker week that occured when I was there! Horrible noise 24 hours a day)- the Dunes thankfully just doesnt fit in there- there are no signs advertising it- it is removed from the main road- it is actually quite difficult to find the entrance (my cabbie got lost while I waited for him to come pick me up--once you pass the gate with the guard you are for all intents and purposes no longer in Myrtle Beach. The course is just fantastic. I really would recommend it (even if you are just driving through for the day).

I give this course an 8.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

schultzmj

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2002, 09:37:18 PM »
Going to myrtle beach in three weeks for family beach vacation but will likely get in 4 rounds during the week.

Would appreciate any advice on best places to play.  Thinking about Barefoot Resort -  Dye or Norman, Caledonia, True Blue and Dunes.

Any other suggestions, opinions.....

Andy Hodson

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2002, 07:25:53 AM »
Evan

Good to hear you had a good time and thought so highly of the Dunes. As I stated earlier, I worked there for two years and came to love the club and the course. It is certainly a bear from the back tees. Pretty interesting terrain, being so close to the ocean, didn't you think?

Evan_Green

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2002, 08:09:31 AM »
schultzmj:

Do yourself a favor and play the Dunes 4 times- i really don't think you'll regret it. Just remember that resort golf is resort golf and the Dunes isnt resort golf

Hod:

Yes very interesting terrain with its proximity to the ocean in SC- and it is quite a challenge from the golds- it is one of my favorite courses- i just loved it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back