News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Best By Country
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »
Does anyone have the Golf Digest list for Mexico... top 10 I believe? Our copies apparently got kidnapped at the border crossing :'(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:35:13 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tom_Doak

Re: Best By Country
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:34 PM »
I still haven't got my subscription copy in the mail yet.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »
Greg:
1.  Cabo del Sol (Ocean)
2.  El Dorado
3.  Vista Vallarta (Nicklaus)
4.  Punta Mita
5.  Vista Vallarta (Weiskopf)
6.  Guadalajara
7.  Palmilla
8.  Cabo Real
9.  Cabo del Sol (Desert)
10.  Querencia

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
Greg:
1.  Cabo del Sol (Ocean)
2.  El Dorado
3.  Vista Vallarta (Nicklaus)
4.  Punta Mita
5.  Vista Vallarta (Weiskopf)
6.  Guadalajara
7.  Palmilla
8.  Cabo Real
9.  Cabo del Sol (Desert)
10.  Querencia

wow and ouch...

Cabo Real better than Desert and Querencia????????? that is laughable.

Thanks Carl
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:00:36 PM by Greg Tallman »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:04:46 PM »
I also question if even a single rater has played the new El Dorado as Señor Meldman does not grant access to anyone outside of the membership.

As I am critical of the ranking I should offer my own version:

1. The Ocean Course @ Cabo del Sol
2. Diamante Cabo San Lucas (not open but close enough to 100% and while I have not played I have spent considerable time touring it)
3. Querencia
4. Mayakoba (have not played)
5. El Dorado
6. The Desert Course @ Cabo del Sol
7. Guadalajara CC
8. Tres Vidas
9. Punta Mita (New Course... have not played new course... based on Bowman/Lipe comments versus existing PM course)
10. Vista Vallarta (Weiskopf) 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:21:49 PM by Greg Tallman »

henrye

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »
I haven't played Mayakoba or Guadalajara.  I have played the original Nicklaus course at Punta Mita and didn't like it at all.

Others worthy of top 5 include Tamarindo & Isla Navidad.  Some others that are pretty good (as good as Vista Vallarta) are Moon Palace and Playacar.  I also enjoy Las Hadas, which was in disrepair when I was last there, but it had some wonderful design features and green contours.  I also think Palmilla could be top 10.

Leo Barber

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:20:11 AM »
Courses by country?  Was New Zealand featured?  Im clasping here.  Having been kicked off the top 100 of the world, the top 100 outside of the US did Paraparaumu Beach make the top 10 of NZ??

Brian Phillips

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »
Just wrote this on the other thread:

I remember when a company that I owned shares in had the rights to the Golf Digest magazine.  Golf Digest just sent us an email for us to just list the Top ten courses in Norway.  The CEO did that and hey presto the list was born...just a joke.

No integrity from Golf Digest at all.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
I haven't played Mayakoba or Guadalajara.  I have played the original Nicklaus course at Punta Mita and didn't like it at all.

Others worthy of top 5 include Tamarindo & Isla Navidad.  Some others that are pretty good (as good as Vista Vallarta) are Moon Palace and Playacar.  I also enjoy Las Hadas, which was in disrepair when I was last there, but it had some wonderful design features and green contours.  I also think Palmilla could be top 10.

Henry,

Did you honestly believe Tamarindo was that good... or perhaps just a neat piece of land. Also have to say Tres Vidas is better than Navidad (similar courses) and thus Navidad did not make it.

Palmilla (original 18) could easily be included. I could not see Las Hadas anywhere in the discussion.

THe next list in 2011 will be even more Baja centered with Diamante, Chileno Bay, Bahia del los Sueños and possibly Quivira. 

henrye

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »

Henry,

Did you honestly believe Tamarindo was that good...
  Yup.
or perhaps just a neat piece of land.
Yup
Also have to say Tres Vidas is better than Navidad (similar courses) and thus Navidad did not make it.
  Nope.  Tres Vidas is a fine course, but Navidad has way more variety and is better.
Palmilla (original 18) could easily be included. I could not see Las Hadas anywhere in the discussion.
  Well, I disagree on las Hadas.  No doubt it has fallen into disrepair and it lacks the flash, eye candy and conditioning of the modern wonders, but it has some interesting quirk that is completely unique.  They have the "corkscrew" green, which is in the shape of a circular staircase and the "volcano" green, which is elevated 10 feet & completely surrounded by bunkers.  The site is very flat and it has some unique features.  I think it deserves attention.
THe next list in 2011 will be even more Baja centered with Diamante, Chileno Bay, Bahia del los Sueños and possibly Quivira. 
  That's OK.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
Leo,
1. Cape Kidnappers
2. Kauri Cliffs
3. Paraparaumu Beach
4. Titirangi
5. Wairakei International
6. Kinloch
7. Millbrook
8. Jack's Point
9. Gulf Harbour
10. The Hills

Leo Barber

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 12:17:57 AM »
Leo,
1. Cape Kidnappers
2. Kauri Cliffs
3. Paraparaumu Beach
4. Titirangi
5. Wairakei International
6. Kinloch
7. Millbrook
8. Jack's Point
9. Gulf Harbour
10. The Hills
Thanks Pete

I see resort golf is alive and well in NZ!  Probably a fairish list in the main  although I think there would have been a few Club courses that could have challenged for inclusion such as a Bridge Pa, Poverty Bay, Shirley, Auckland GC, or a Nga Motu perhaps but I guess all the courses listed deliver what could be described as a very pleasant golfing experience and all are set in the most amazing locations.  Glad to see PB didnt suffer the same fate as Russley a few years back ie 68th best course outside of the US in 2005 to not making the top 10 in NZ ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back