News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Kauai Renovations
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Has anyone been to Princeville or Kauai Lagoons recently?

The Ocean &Lakes nines at Princeville Makai are supposedly under the knife as is the back nine (oceanfront nine) at Kauai Lagoons (Kiele)

Was just curious if anyone has seen the progress of these renovations or has any insight into their progress...?

Derek Dirksen

Re: Kauai Renovations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »
I believe RTJ II is doing a remodel of the Makai. 

http://www.heritage-links.com/Default.asp?page=Projects

Brian Cenci

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »
I was at Princeville a few months ago and saw the work on the other course.  Can't say really how it looked.  A lot of dozers and noise.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »
I'm just back from vacation in Kauai.

The Makai course (all 3 nines) are still under construction.  They now say they want to open when the St. Regis opens in September but I'm not sure they will make it.   Some holes are being seeded but some holes haven't been shaped.   I walked around maybe 3 holes and I really didn't see anything interesting architectually.  Lots of lakes and huge cloverleaf bunkers with bright white sand.  Its going to be a resort course with length.  It looked like the entire course was going to use paspalum, at least the greens and surrounds.

I played The Prince on Thursday of last week.   The condition was better then I expected but still only a 5 or 6.  They have planted paspalum on the 5th green as an experiment.  I'll post some pictures and comments in a week or so.

Kauai Lagoons is playing a composite course.   I talked with the pro who said it was in good condition.  It appears someone bought the place and certain holes needed to be moved for time shares, condos and homes.

Pukea.  I drove in and took a look.  Looked like it was in great condition.  I'm told they have 9 great holes and 9 mundane holes.  They haven't started construction on the clubhouse yet although the temp building is fine.

Wailua:  Still one of the best munis and best values in golf.  Condition was great.  The two nines are seperated by a driving range which backs up to the ocean and a pounding surf.  Its a complete waste of land for a driving range.   The front nine is flat and devoid of any shaping.  Looks like the local play for some pretty good money games and the putting green has some very lively games.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
I've played just about every course in Hawaii and Wailua might be the toughest.
Be the ball

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »
I've played just about every course in Hawaii and Wailua might be the toughest.

They has sectional qualifying for the US Open there a few weeks ago.  12 players for 1 spot.  71 was the low score.

I'm told they put out a RFP for some redesign last year but have put the plans on hold.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
I did not make it to Poipu so I don't know the status of the courses there.

There was some promotions on the real estate channel for the Tom Weiskopf high end devolpment Kukuiula.  I read that it was under construction but then told it was delayed???

http://www.kukuiula.com/golf_spa/index.php

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:07:11 PM »
Here are 2 photos of the construction of the Makai course.  Both holes have 2nd shots over a lake.

This green is in the initial phase of being shaped.

The following hole. This green and bunkers are complete and in the grow in stage.

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Joel,

Thanks very much for the report as I'm heading that way later this year.

From your pics, looks like Princeville Makai will not be ready by Sept...

I've heard Kauai Lagoons ocean back nine isn't scheduled to open until 2011....

Also, did you end up actually playing Wailua? I've always been curious about it. If so, how busy was it/how long did it take to get around and how hard was it to get out?  I'm going to have limited time and may be able to get a dawn patrol round in, but cant spend the whole day there if I play it.

Thx, Evan

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
No I didn't play but I walked around.  I was there last Sunday at 1pm and there was no wait.  There was 1 person at the range. My guess is people go out fairly early to beat the heat.  Furthermore, it is Kauai and there isn't that large of a population base or demand.

I would call but don't be surprised if they don't have much interest.  The county employees that work there aren't very driven and I'll leave it at that.

http://www.kauai.gov/default.aspx?tabid=66

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back