News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

Bethapge-Red
« on: May 26, 2002, 07:51:02 PM »
From everything I have read and heard the Red is one of the more underrated golf courses. Have the improvements to the Black had any effect on the Red? How do the two courses compare from a design viewpoint? I am especially interested in the two courses greens, the one complaint you hear about the Black are the ordinary greens - what are the greens on the Red like?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Adam_Messix

Re: Bethapge-Red
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 08:51:34 PM »
Tom,

I would like to switch the 1st hole on the Red with the 1st hole on the Black.  The 1st hole of the Red Course runs paralell with the 18th of the Black and is a 474 yard par 4, with a green perched up on the hill.  A brutal starting hole.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 05:49:48 AM »
Bethpage Red is one of the best courses on Long Island.  Our Met PGA Assistants Championship and Long Island Open are held here annually.  This year due to the US Open the Long Island Open was moved to Long Island National.  The post above mentioned the first hole and I have to admit it is LONG and TOUGH.  It is about 475 yards from an elevated tee and then the approach is back uphill.  I have hit an 8-iron in once but usually it is a 3-iron or 4-iron.  Not the nice little benign opening hole you hope to see.  The course over the last two years has improved dramatically in the course condition area as well.  

The Red is one of the better diving courses I've ever played.  A lot of dmeanding placement required off the tee and length is a definite plus to have.  The par threes are all strong except for 17 which is a little bland but a subtly tricky putting surface.  I could write about this course for days.  I heard that there is talk of possibly hosting a Womens US Open on the Red Course.  Anyone else hear that rumor?  If you have any questions I know the course inside and out from a players standpoint.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 05:51:39 AM »
OOps!!!   Couple of typing errors there.  I meant to say "driving" not diving"  and "demanding" not "dmeanding".  Sorry!

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Will E

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 07:30:28 AM »
I too have played the Red quite a few times and remember it as an "okay" course, maybe a 4 at best. I haven't played it since the 96 LIO so can't comment on the current state. I sure can't see calling it "one of Long Island's finest" though. If you really think that Jeff I'd be curious to see your list and where the Red course stacks up on it. I'd rate it #3 at Bethpage, and not even in my top 25 on the island. Maybe it's gotten a lot better, I don't see how though. Craig Currier is a good friend and a great super, if he could get this course good enough for the women's open...wow. hadn't heard that rumor.
If we needed to stay in Nassau county I'd much rather see a women't open at, Piping, Creek, Sands Point, Deepdale, NORTH HILLS, Wheatly Hills, Nassau, Inwood, Glen Oaks, Engineers, Plandome, Cherry Valley, Garden City CC, Cold Spring, Huntington CC, Cresent, Rockaway, North Shore, Old Westbury, Meadowbrook, Glen Head and a few more I can't remember this early in the morning.
I'd think that the Blue course would have more promise if  the bucks were thrown at it (another brutal first hole too).
-Jeff, what does Mike think of all of the time you spend on this site ;D ?

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 09:02:44 AM »
The Red is a great course.  The first hole is a brute, but it's the 4th par three and the 5th par five that are really special, along with 14 and 15.  The 7th par three is very unique.  Then you get to the back portion of the course which is very reminiscent of the 10-11-12 stretch on the Black, very much a links feel.  The 14th with it's split fairway is quite interesting.

Shooter, no disresepect, but Plandome, Garden City CC, Cherry Valley, and a few others may have the nice country club conditioning, but the strategic value and layout pale in comparison to the Red course.  The Red course has been a direct beneficiary of the Black's attention and is in terrific shape.  The USGA didn't want the Black to get all the attention!

Also, while the Blue has a tough front nine, with a couple of very difficult par 4's (2 and 6, with 6 stacking up against hole on the Black) it's not the Red as far as terrain and strategy.  I've always found the Blue a bit unbalanced as far as the front and back 9's are concerned.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2002, 09:16:51 AM »
Shooter,

My name is almost always logged on but that doesn't mean I'm always on the site.   ;D  Mike is great to work for and I do my job so there haven't been any complaints yet.  By the way, what is your name?  Do I know you?  Are you a pro in the Met Section?

As for the Red Course, I happen to think it is a GREAT golf course.  They have done a tremendous job getting it in good shape and I find it to be one of the finest tests of golf anywhere.  It's not over the top hard but it is tough off the tee and pretty tough on the greens.  Overall I find it to be fair for everyone and any type of player can win there.  Short hitters, long hitters, straight, good putters, anyone playing well.  I guess that's what I like, that it is really a fair test of golf for everyone.  How can you not like holes #1,#4, #12 or #15?  These are fantastic holes!  Just my opinion I guess.  I agree that there are many good courses on Long Island that are worthy of more attention but the ones you mentioned can't logistically host a big event or don't want one.  I would definitely have the Red in my top 25 on Long Island and it is probably in my top 15.  

You said the Red is the 3rd best course at Bethpage which I can't believe.  I agree that the Black is definitely the best at Bethpage but are you saying that you think the Blue is better than the Red?  I would say WOW! if you did think that.  But to each his/her own. :)

By the way Shooter, have you won the Gold Jacket yet or does Happy Gilmore still beat you every year?! ;)

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2002, 03:01:37 PM »
What are the greens like on the Red - are they similar to the Black's or do they have a little more contour? I'm also curious about the green's on what was the original Blue.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2002, 08:05:00 PM »
I think the greens on the Red are just little more contoured than the Black.  The Red's greens definitely aren't sloped like a true Tillinghast or Mackenzie but are definitely sloped enough to be mentioned.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back