News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Short Iron to an Uphill Green
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »
There's nothing quite like hitting a wedge (maybe not even a full one) from a tight lie to a green high above.  The margin for error seems so incredibly thin.  #10 at Shinnecock.  #9 at Augusta.  Plainfield has a number of great examples.  For me, these shots are equal parts exhillarating and intimidating.  More a test of nerves than skill.  I love them.  I hate them.  I wish there were more of them.  What say you?

Ed

Doug Siebert

Re: Short Iron to an Uphill Green
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:12 AM »
Why a short iron?  What makes that shot more exhilarating or intimidating than a long iron to a high green?  I find the latter to be more of a challenge, because you know you have to hit the ball extra high if you want it to stop at all (due to the shallower angle of impact)  Unless a green is insanely high above where you are, far higher than any I've ever seen, this is not an issue with a wedge.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
But that's the catch, Doug - a wedge to a green is supposed to be easy.  But when you can only see the bottom half of the flag for a wedge, then you start thinking about it.  An 80s/90s shooter misses a green with a 4 iron, well, that happens.  Miss it with a wedge, and that's a different story.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »
Agreed.  The short irons are where we get closest to God.  The solid long iron is anticipated but not expected.  The mid iron is somewhere between the two.

The short iron allows us to go deeper into the green, given that it is spinning more and arcing higher (them there butterflies with sore feet).  Its trajectory is not nearly as flat as the long or mid iron, giving us a chance to stop the ball.  The second hole at Middlebury College's Ralph Mhyre GC is a 360 yarder with a wide and shallow green set on a shelf.  There's nothing like hitting that iron and hoping you get it far enough, but not too far.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
Jason, that's part of it.  But I think there is more.  First, the shots I have in mind are normally from a very tight lie.  Making matters worse, they often occur from a low point where water collects.  That's a bad combination in my book since you need to catch this shot clean and in the back of your mind you are thinking "Don't catch it thin...but make sure you don't chunk it."  Doug, I'd actually prefer a long iron from this type.  Second, these holes typically are designed with false fronts and maintained with fairway rather than rough on the slope of the hill.  So spin plays a huge factor.  Anything fractionally short runs the risk if sucking back off the green, sometimes far enough back down to give you the pleasure of playing pretty much the same spot again.  That's why if I am ever lucky enough to play Shinnecock again, I think it may be better to layup to this shot...

...than to go down the hill and be left with this...

http://golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/USA/N%20York/Shinnecock/index.html

Ron, I just saw your post.  That's it!

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »
FYI, the link in my previous post won't take you to the exact picture I was trying to show.  To see it, click on the right arrow underneath the photo thumbnails in the bottom left of the page 7 times.  The photo is then the third one on the top row.  Sorry, but its the best pic I can find of the view from the bottom of the hill.

Ed

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »

The 2nd at Spyglass is a good example. Paging Adam Clayman.

Anthony

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
#10 at Royal St Georges is a good example although usually a touch more than a wedge. Short rolls back and long is very dead, always a pleasure to see the ball settle and stay on the putting surface.
Cave Nil Vino

Carl Johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »
Assuming the ground conditions and pin position permit it and you're close enough to try, what about a run-up or bump option?  The fat/thin possibilities are lessend in my case.   I often find myself trying to decide which of the three options is the best one, an interesting challenge  Or, does that stray to far from Ed's question?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
Jason, that's part of it.  But I think there is more.  First, the shots I have in mind are normally from a very tight lie.  Making matters worse, they often occur from a low point where water collects.  That's a bad combination in my book since you need to catch this shot clean and in the back of your mind you are thinking "Don't catch it thin...but make sure you don't chunk it." 

Ed,

I play in Texas, so I guess I am used to all lies being pretty tight.  But yeah, your point about the half shot making spin more difficult also made sense.

And we easily get into Pete Dye territory here (paraphrased): 
"Once I get the golfer thinking, he's screwed."   :)

David Sneddon

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
There's nothing quite like hitting a wedge (maybe not even a full one) from a tight lie to a green high above.  The margin for error seems so incredibly thin.  #10 at Shinnecock.  #9 at Augusta.  Plainfield has a number of great examples.  For me, these shots are equal parts exhillarating and intimidating.  More a test of nerves than skill.  I love them.  I hate them.  I wish there were more of them.  What say you?

Ed

If elevated greens are your forte, Ed, then get thee hence to Cherokee Hills GC in Tulsa, OK.

Old Perry Maxwell design, redone by (IIRC) Tripp Davis.  Must be at least 8 elevated greens.  For me, the elevated green concept actually became tiresome - thought it was overdone.

David
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
Ed:

The shot you describe certainly is difficult...alarmingly so at times.

Does #8 at Grandfather meet your criteria...it certainly is a tough uphill short approach shot and if you miss short right the ball usually rolls back and even worse, it rolls to the left behind the bunker.

Bart

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:19 AM »
Bart, I think so.  But I wouldn't know since I can't ever hit that fairway to find out.  Actually, #3 at Grandfather may be an even better example.  The lies are so lush at Grandfather, however, that I don't get that thin feeling that really accentuates the effect.

Ed

CJ Carder

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
We've got a great hole like this at my course, the Gold Course at the Golden Horseshoe.  It's only 365 yards from the back tees, but a tee shot longer than 225 will leave the player with a wedge or 9-iron from either the downslope of the fairway or with a significantly uphill shot with no view of the green.

Here's a view from the preferred landing area:

archie_struthers

Re: Short Iron to an Uphill Green New
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

Help me you Georgia sycophants. Isn't there a hole at Jones Creek Near Augusta that has a really crazy uphill 2nd shot on a short par four . Just played it once , but I don't remember  ever having to hit a shot as high as this to a green .  Maybe some of you know the hole of which I speak.  thanks   "Archie"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:22:09 AM by archie_struthers »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back