News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re: There's no way Tiger is going to lose this one
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »
I think the most incredible aspect of Tiger's dramatic wins is the sense of inevitability that comes over everyone at the moment right before he "does it again."  My golf team was at a Bojangles in Martinsville, VA watching on TV and we all were musing about the odds of Tiger making it.  Even though we pegged the odds at about 3-to-1, I'm pretty sure we all knew deep down that TW wasn't going to miss.  Pretty astounding when a 16-footer becomes a gimme for a player.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »
Did anyone really think he was going to miss that putt?

With the par save on 15 and the up and down on 16, the bogey on 17 was a surprise.  The great iron shot and made putt on 18 were quite reminiscent of last year, same course, same situation.

Welcome back Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
The only thing painful about being able to watch that awesome finish was having to suffer thru a 5+ hr round by those 3 to get there.  Even Johnny Miller was ripping em for taking so damn long especially those last two holes as daylight was running out.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »

Long straight narrow courses definitely favor Tiger (Firestone, Bay Hill, Medinah)

Surprising, since Tiger often has trouble finding fairways.  I guess the penalty for missing is not that great.  

Courses like TOC seem to favor Tiger as well.  So do courses like Augusta, Hoylake, Pebble, Bethpage and Southern Hills.  I'm not sure what courses don't favor him.  

Remarkable stat:  Tiger only hit 54% GIR this week.  Tied for 50th.  He did not drive the ball especially long (283) or accurate (60%).  Everyone else in the top 10 hit more fairways and greens.  But he scrambled at 75%, and came in 2nd in average putts/round.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »

Long straight narrow courses definitely favor Tiger (Firestone, Bay Hill, Medinah)

Surprising, since Tiger often has trouble finding fairways.  I guess the penalty for missing is not that great.  

Courses like TOC seem to favor Tiger as well.  So do courses like Augusta, Hoylake, Pebble, Bethpage and Southern Hills.  I'm not sure what courses don't favor him.  

Remarkable stat:  Tiger only hit 54% GIR this week.  Tied for 50th.  He did not drive the ball especially long (283) or accurate (60%).  Everyone else in the top 10 hit more fairways and greens.  But he scrambled at 75%, and came in 2nd in average putts/round.  

Riviera and the Kikuya...thats his kryptonite!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »
Is the unauthorized biography of Tiger to be titled,  'splender in the grass' or 'victory in the gloaming'?

Somebody ought to do a study on Tiger's solunar feeding time.  It seems he devours competitors whenever the light is waning.  He is absolutely crepuscular!  How's that Dan? 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »
Kalen, oddly enough, Nicklaus never won there either.  For those who say a course's quality is proven by its champions, Riviera must be pretty poor!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »
Pretty damn good call Philippe! 

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »
"Did anyone really think he was going to miss that putt?"

Bill McB:

Sure I did. I've been around a long time and I've seen all the greatest golfers of the last half century thoughout that time and stuff like this just never happened with anything close to the regularity of Tiger Woods. Sure they all may've made putts like that a time or two in situations like that which became their career highlights but Woods has done this kind of thing about ten times more in around 13 years then all the rest of them combined in their total careers. I've never put much stock in weird fate but this guy is beginning to make me rethink that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:36:14 AM by TEPaul »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:31 AM »
I'm not Tiger's biggest fan... I just look at that situation and thought: this is going to happen again...

I don't think O'hair played badly, he just could not make the killer shot... Birdie putt at 14th, with O'hair missing it, Tiger grinded harder, made the par putt the rest is history...

Hat off to O'hair, more experienced players have done a lot worse than him against Tiger

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40:44 AM »
I'm not Tiger's biggest fan...
I am.

But from those who haven't accepted Tiger as their personal lord and savior, can I get an "amen, brother" for yet another remarkable performance under pressure? 

Yes, O'Hair opened the door for him, particularly with that shot into the water.  But doors are opened for all athletes on a regular basis; I just find it compelling to watch Tiger walk through the door yet again.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
"Did anyone really think he was going to miss that putt?"

Bill McB:

Sure I did. I've been around a long time and I've seen all the greatest golfers of the last half century thoughout that time and stuff like this just never happened with anything close to the regularity of Tiger Woods. Sure they all may've made putts like that a time or two in situations like that which became their career highlights but Woods has done this kind of thing about ten times more in around 13 years then all the rest of them combined in their total careers. I've never put much stock in weird fate but this guy is beginning to make me rethink that.

Tom, I was thinking about just 12 months earlier when he did the same thing.  This was an easier putt.  I'm no kid myself at 67 and I've never seen the like of this guy with his ability to come through.  Even the great Jack missed one every now and then.  This was the third time Tiger won at Bay Hill with an 18th hole birdie.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »

I guess we're all wondering how the new groves, when, 2010, are going to change things for Tiger.  I'm thinking he'll figure out how to deal with.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
I guess we're all wondering how the new groves, when, 2010, are going to change things for Tiger.  I'm thinking he'll figure out how to deal with.
I think it will have a minor effect, but in the end it will help Tiger.

Any change that lessens the impact of technology, and increases the premium on skill and shotmaking, is good for Tiger.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
Agreed...watching paint dry might be quicker...but it was still incredible theater.

The only thing painful about being able to watch that awesome finish was having to suffer thru a 5+ hr round by those 3 to get there.  Even Johnny Miller was ripping em for taking so damn long especially those last two holes as daylight was running out.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back