News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

MACAMISH GC
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
One of the pleasures of reading Darwin is that something new catches my eye on each reading.  On this most recent perusal I discovered a few words about Macamish GC - on Lough Swilly.  "The holes cross and recross each other and everybody aims at his own particular hole in a light-hearted, pic-nicking frame of mind, and perfectly regardless of the lives of others".  While it isn't clear, this sounds as though it could have been Sheep's Ranch.  Does anybody know much about Macamish and if its still "For pure, unadulterated fun I have yet to see the equal of this course."

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

Re: MACAMISH GC
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
Sean

I'm pretty sure that Bernie was talking about Otway GC, a few miles north of Rathmullan, and in the shadow of the Macamish martello tower.  I must have driven by it a few times 5-6 years ago when I had an Easter holiday in Rathmullan, punctuated by a few trips north to golf at Portsalon, but never played it or even saw it.  As Loch Swilly is a very special part of the world, you are hereby advised to to visit it posthaste and report back.

Rich

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:40:43 AM »
Yes, this is Otway Golf Club and by judging by Darwin's description, the course is the same now as it was then. I've played it a couple of times in the late 1980's, and it's totally different to any other course you'll play. The 9 holes are squeezed into a tiny area amongst rock outcrops. The holes criss-cross each other and it's a bit scary at times. We used joke that if you play in Otway, bring a helmet. It's unique and definitely worth playing just for the experience. It's just one of those courses you just need to play.

Dónal.

PS. This is my first post on GCA and it's a pleasure to finally join this esteemed group. I will post a intro of myself later.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
Donal

Yours is easily in the Top 100 of "GCA first posts."  Thanks and welcome aboard.  I was just talking a few days ago with some of the people who shared our stay in Rathmullan, and you and they have inspired me to go back.  If and when we do that, I will very much look forward to playing Otway.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back