News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Myrtle Beach Sleepers
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any good courses in Myrtle Beach that surprised you?  I'm headed down over Easter Break with family and some prices are absurd that week, even with packages.  Some courses are $200.00 bucks like Caledonia, TPC, and Tidewater- unless they have moved Merion or Cypress down to South Carolina and I didn't know about it, I refuse to pay $200.00 for those type of courses.  Anyone know of some surprising sleepers worth $70 bucks or so? Thanks

Rick Sides

Re: Myrtle Beach Sleepers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »
Forgot to mention, even decent, middle of the road courses like Glen Dornoch and Legends want like $160.00 that week!

Adam Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
Rick,
 Try The Pearl. Seriously, that's the name. Was about $35 end of summer the last time I played it. Good shape with the same kinds of views as Tidewater. Seemed like it had some 80's Dye elements to it. It's in Calabash, so if you're staying down in Pawley's = long drive.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
If you play The Pearl you should throw in Oyster Bay and Marsh Harbor. they are in the same area in Calabash. Very good bang for your buck. I would pass on Tidewater. Good but not great course. Another course of some local historical note is Pine Lakes . It is just being reopened after a major renovation. Played it years ago and had a fun day here. Have a fun trip,               Jack

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »
Marsh Harbor has been closed for about five years.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
Michael,   What brought about the closing of MH? I found this to be a pretty good track if you are on the North part of the strand. I last played there in 2002 as I recall.                 Jack

Peter Nomm

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:46:57 PM »
Litchfield Plantation is kind of a fun old school course - narrow tee shots.

New school - play the King's North at MB National.  Pretty fun par 3s and par 5s (and par 4s!).

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
I'd recommend Willbrook Plantation and The Witch... both interesting tracks. I find Dan Maples to be a very underrated architect.  I also second Oyster Bay.  I had a great time there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:37:45 PM by Jay Kirkpatrick »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »
Marsh Harbour was built on a 25-year lease.  When the lease expired, the landowner decided not to keep the golf course open.  I think he planned to do a development there, but I'm not sure if anything moved forward.

Oyster Bay was on a similar 25-year lease; unless it's been renewed, their 25 years should be up right about now.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:05 PM »
there have been several golf courses in the myrtle beach area that have been closed and developed as residential real estate.  it would really suck to have a golf course front home in that scenario.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
For some odd reason, this thread just gave me a twinge of sad nostalgic sentimentality for a place called Robber's Roost.

I'd recommend Arcadian Shores which is early Rees Jones (yes, I did just recommend a Rees course, skeptics take note), and Surf Club, a George Cobb design from the 60s.

I believe they are still both around and think they might qualify as the type of low-key, well-designed, and reasonably affordable courses you're looking for.

I came across this website and it's sort of depressing to see the number of old standards that are NLE;

http://www.mbga.com/COURSES.HTM

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »
I second The Witch. The Wizard and Man O War are part of the same group. Perhaps there is some sort of package deal for these courses.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
Best "sleeper" course is Prestwick Country Club. Classic Pete Dye with LOTS of old school features.

By the way... April & May are PRIMETIME months on the Grand Strand. You will find the highest rates of the year during these months. Many courses will offer a lower late-afternoon rate, so you might want to check on that if you don't mind playing late in the day. But, if you want a morning tee time on one of the popular courses be prepared to pay a hefty sum. The Grand Strand courses are not rate leaders... these rates trickle down from the Pinehurst-Sea Pines-Kiawah Resorts who lead the way on rates in this area.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

rboyce

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
Did a trip to Myrtle a week ago and all the courses were playing firm. Part of this was the grass still being dormant. But, the area may also be short some rain right now.

Tidewater was by far the best course we played. We did a replay off a cookie cutter course (CCC) that need not be mentioned and got on Tidewater for $50 which was a great deal imho.

Also played Pine Lakes and when the bartender told me the regular green fee outside a package was $160 I was stunned. We played it the day after it re-opened and it is a solid course, but not $160 worth. My friends thought it was a very nice club though and it seemed to be busy for lunch. Guess it's a private/public thing going on.

The best course we played that I had never heard of was Farmstead which I thought was solid.

Btw, the traffic on the courses we played was *very* light.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
Robbers Roost is gone to the big resort in the sky.

Surf is now private... not open to any "golf package" play.

Marsh Harbor was taken back by the owner, Ladane Williamson, when The Legend Group's operating lease expired. She also took back Ocean Harbor. Ladane claimed plans to upgrade the facilities and operate the course, but never did. She even missed the real estate boom and never developed the property... which is what everyone thought she would do. So, both course and the ground they were built on just sit there waiting for something... God know's what! 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
Rick,

Michael Whitaker is the GCA "inside guy" at Myrtle.

His recommendations are "word".

The rest of us send you to places like the Surf Club, which I haven't played in 15 years and now Michael tells us is private.   :o

So, whatever your proposed itinerary turns out to be, I'd pass it by Michael first.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
Btw, the traffic on the courses we played was *very* light.

I was down there during the first week of March and even though the weather was awful, the traffic at the courses I was at was super extra light.  And I've been going down there maybe every other year for the last 15.  And I've never seen it this deserted... perhaps it was the courses I was at and others were busy.  I sure hope so.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
Joe B,
Did you play any courses of interest?

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
thinking about myrtle got me to wondering why dan maples hasn't done more golf courses...

does he or his colleagues post on here?  i've always been impressed with his work especially when put in context of the era.  looking at his website, it would appear that he is more into renovation nowadays.  any added insight would be appreciated...

Greg Holland

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Shaftesbury Glen by Clyde Johnsont is a solid course that opened a few years back.  Been there a couple times, and enjoyed it. 

Farmstead by Willard Byrd is also good, and Prestwick is as well -- classic Dye with some really tough holes.

Another decent course is Possum Trot.

Arcadian Shores is an early Rees Jones and good.  I think the conditioning has improved since one of the resort's (I believe) bought it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 04:32:24 AM »
Joe B,
Did you play any courses of interest?

Pearl, Tiger's Eye, Barefoot Love, and The Dunes.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:40 AM »
There are two courses at the Pearl.  Play the West; it is by far the better of the two, and a personal favorite.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »
I'm also a fan of Pearl West.

Adam Russell

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
I third the Pearl West...
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tim McManus

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
I second Shaftesbury Glen.  Firm greens, interesting angles, little surrounding real estate.   It has replaced Tidewater in the rotation for our annual trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back