News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Its a Sad day Indeed
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:57:15 AM »
when a topic like best shops is getting more hits then several proper threads.  Whats GCA turning into?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Brian_Ewen

Re: Its a Sad day Indeed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:06:27 AM »
and been like this for some time ..... sadly !

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:30:40 AM »
when a topic like best shops is getting more hits then several proper threads.  Whats GCA turning into?

Ciao
[/quote

A fountain of information.

Anthony

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »
Golf shops and basketball threads. It is a mess around here!  :D

I haven't watched a game all season, but I always support Michigan.  However, being realistic Michigan won't get past Oklahoma.  The only real surprise will be Texas making the Final Four which will consist of

Mich St, UCONN, Texas and Oklahoma. 

Tell me which region plays which in the final 4 and I will give you my predicted champion.

Ciao

Seems like everything is just fine as the GCA Double Standard lives on !

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
Sean
I tend to agree with you, but my main problem with that thread on golf shops is that it is so obviously OT but is not labelled as such. I'm sure many, most or all of us have posted on OT threads from time to time, maybe we have even started the occasional one, I know I have. Perhaps when GCA gets is planned rejig, there can be a separate board for OT threads.

Mike
I'm sure you can find an OT post by nearly everyone on this board if you try hard enough, but did Sean start the basketball thread? I suspect not.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:54:24 AM »
Neil

What this board needs is a good 19th hole discussion, don't you think?

Mark

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »

Mike
I'm sure you can find an OT post by nearly everyone on this board if you try hard enough, but did Sean start the basketball thread? I suspect not.

It was started by Villanova Wildcat Joe Bausch. That guy contributes nothing around here. Let's toss him!

My point being, OT is part of the board, and if I were King for a Day, I would only ban the OT threads about OT threads!

I personally embrace, live and get a big kick out of the GCA Double Standard.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »
GCA Double Standard...oh, you mean the Domer Standard ?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »
Arbs,

Me, being a simpleton, can only offer you this explanation; There's 1500 posters on this site. The likelihood that there will be different interests at times is quite high.

It's Spring here in the good ol' USA, and people can't wait to buy new golf stuff.....because all the larketing propaganda works, don't you know.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »
There's 1500 posters on this site. The likelihood that there will be different interests at times is quite high.

But there lies the problem , we ALL have different interests , but we DONT ALL post about them on here .

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »
There's 1500 posters on this site. The likelihood that there will be different interests at times is quite high.

But there lies the problem , we ALL have different interests , but we DONT ALL post about them on here .

I agree. However, there's a window of opportunity to post the occasional O/T thread, and if that means people run it up the flagpole for a day or two is nothing to get out of sorts over. It's been a part of GCA for a long time. In the end, architecture carries the day, and all is well.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
Curious , do American Basketball forums have threads on Golf Course Architecture ?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
Curious , do American Basketball forums have threads on Golf Course Architecture ?

I understand your point, except the "American" part. Nice dig, perhaps?  ::)

Joe

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
Wait, here's a guy who tried to start an OT architecture thread -- only to see it get hijacked into an O-OT Tiger thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45515

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »
The problem with OT threads is simply that they push worthy ON-topic threads to the GCA version of Limbo, or purgatory (off the first page) far too quickly.   

Do you realize that most topics that are started here are off the first page in less than one day?   That is simply not enough time because a lot of folks who have worthy contributions here simply are not on here every second of every day. 

They can be fun, no question, and I've participated in a bunch so call me a hypocrite as well, but if I had a vote, I'd vote for either a separate board or a strict topic policy.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »
Mike,

Inspired by Google's Mail Goggles, a while back I proposed similar for GCA.com  Rather than ban OT threads, to start a thread you first would have to read Ran's question, "What can be learned about architecture from exploring this?"

People would still be free to start OT threads, but GCA GogglesTM would at least provide a gentle reminder.

Alternately, if you've got a good topic, just start the thread during times when the board is slow.  Like when the U.S. population is not at their "work" computer terminals.

Helpfully,
Mark

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »

Do cricket forums? How about football (soccer) forums? I personally enjoy seeing cricket or rugby threads on here occasionally, it helps to put life in perspective, I think.

OT threads help to foster a strong sense of community. If you don't like 'em, ignore 'em, and certainly don't start 'em or post in 'em.

I'm with Mike - I'd only ban OT threads about OT threads.

MOST IMPORTANTLY (and this is not at all directed at you, Brian): If you're not contributing to the actual architecture threads - and I mean starting interesting threads, sharing interesting information, something more than just little quips here and there - you really don't have much of a right to complain about the lack of focus, imho. There are plenty of architecture threads that die quickly because people don't share, for whatever reason. Start helping out on those and maybe I'll take the criticism more seriously.

EDIT: I just counted a whopping 4 out of 35 first page threads that I'd characterize as OT. Not exactly a sign of the apocalypse.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:59:07 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »

I actually agree with all the comments made from the frustration through to the explanations of why OT does matter. I’m with Mike C – I don’t mind the OT threads but hate watching a good architectural discussion relegated to page 2 in a day – only to disappear in a week.

Just to offer an interesting perspective

I am registered on two "other" golf course architecture sites. Both are with much smaller groups with a greater emphasis on golf architecture and the golf design business. I've discovered that I participate in all of them the same way. Interest comes and goes – it depends on:
1. how busy am I
2. the topic
3. the people involved

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »
At least no one has been using the site to organize protests at AIG executives' houses . . . yet.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »
I don't think that OTs are a huge problem. I counted (hastily) 4 OT threads out of 35 on the front page. That doesn't sound like a lot to me. And usually OTs are either golf or board related. (with the exception of all the political ones last fall). I think on-topic threads are more responsible for pushing worthy threads beyond the first page because there are way more of them.

At any rate, most of us (myself included) need to be more diligent about reading beyond page 1 and less shy about bumping threads that we think are worthwhile, even if we think no one is interested (or we don't want to seem to be pushing an agenda).

Edit: George P. Sorry I didn't read closely enough. I hope you don't nail me on plagarism! ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:49:59 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
G  O  R  E  D  W  I  N  G  S
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »
Mike
More curious , do you find it easier to debate American , sorry North American Ice Hockey on a Golf Course Architecture forum , than a forum that debates that particular subject ?

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »
Brian -

I posted a set of letters that are intended to bring a smile to Sean's otherwise dour face.

Please tell me what I can post to do the same for you, sure seems that you need something to make you smile ...

Mike

Ps:  Here is a LINK to a webpage where two hockey players are discussing manicured or hairy edged bunkers ... 
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back