News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek Dirksen

Re: The Patriot GC
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »
All the bunkers are the same.  The rugged natural edges are what Jay Blasi wanted.  The photos don't do the bunkers justice.  We have put liner over all of the bunkers so the sand won't get contaminated while we are finishing up.  That liner makes the bunkers appear be less rugged  and more round.  I think we are going to be sodding about 85 acres.  Most of the fairways are 50+ yards wide at the Patriot.  The rough cut will only be about 6 to 10 feet wide.  Most of the greens have fairway around them as well.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
Here are the final two holes for the Patriot.

Hole 17 – Par 3 – 168 Yards
The penultimate hole is a narrow par 3 playing along the edge of steep cliff to the left. A long saving bunker left will gobble up those who tempt fate or fail to judge the wind correctly. The green slopes from right to left and offers and open entrance making a low draw the ideal play here.

Hole 18 – Par 4 – 432 Yards
The final hole at The Patriot incorporates many of the elements from the rest of the course and adds one new design feature. After players hit their tee shot along the edge of a steep ravine, they will be faced with a middle iron approach across the ravine to a well bunkered green. This shot over the ravine will serve as a fitting end to a thrilling day of golf.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 02:08:10 AM »
Tim, after seeing the pics of 15-16, I still can't work out the idea of the centerline way off to the left.  It doesn't look like much side slope for that.

There sure are some rugged bite-off shots across ravines and forced carries.  I think I'll let those errant balls down there in the rocky ledges to these guys...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »

Derek,

Thanks for posting the pics!  Keep us informed as things progress.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
Here are a couple updated photos of grassing.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
Here are a couple of updated photos of Hole 1 , view from tee, 1st landing are and 2nd landing area.  Next 2 photos are of Hole 3.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »
Thanks Derek. Great fun seeing the course take shape. Jay's green diagrams are very cool to think through.

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Bill Kubly

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »
It sure makes it great when you can sod all of the playing areas other than the greens.  On a severe site like this, the erosion for a seeded or sprigged course could have been a disaster.  Of course the only real way to establish Zoysia is with sod.

Also, all of the greens were seeded this Spring at the same time so the grow-in of the greens has been very consistent.  Originally we were going to seed 8-10 late last fall, but waiting has been the right decision.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
Here are a few updated photos of the coures.  The course has taken a pretty good beating the last 2 weeks.  We got over 7 inches in 3 days but got 4 inches in less than 2 hours.  Here are a couple of before and after photos of the damage.  I haven't been back to see the damage 1st hand (I've been told I don't want to).  I will be heading back to the site in the next day or so.   I will take some more photos at that time. 

Hole 1 after sodding is complete. 

Hole 1 after the 4 inch rain.  We had just finished sodding the hole less than 1 week before so the sodd and not knitted down yet.

Hole 5 view from 6a tee back at 5 green.

Hole 5 after the rain.

Hole 5 after the rain

Hole 12 view from the landing area towards the green

Hole 12 after the rain

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »

Here is Brad Kleins review of The Patriot GC, a RTJ II course that opened over Memorial day here in Oklahoma.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/jun/15/raters-notebook-patriot-golf-club/

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 09:53:02 PM »
The Story of this project is special and there was a nice article on it in Golf Week not long ago. I feel the Jones team includng Jay are really pleased with this course. I am certainly looking forward to seeing it.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »

Tiger,

Me too!! Biggest course opening in Oklahoma since Karsten Creek.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »
Craig, when are you going to make it up there? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back