News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: 2009 Top 100 Golf Shops
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
Support your local pro.
When is the last time your golf discounter gave you a 5 min lesson on the chipping green-for free?
Or, squeezed your group in on a busy Saturday?
Or, offered to make a call to the course down the road to get you a tee time?
Or, gave free lessons to one of your local highschool team players?

AMEN.Plus,do you really want to buy equipment at the suggestion of a part-time high school kid being paid to push today's special?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
Ha ha,

Audible yuks.

Top 100 Huckaby wannabes

Can that be limited to 100?

;D

Easily....my count stands at one for the moment ;)

Hey,

I got permission to use that 1st as well know the huckster has copyrighted the phrase.   ;)

Mark Kinney

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Kalen Braley on Today at 02:39:35 pm
With this recent list by Golf Digest,

I wonder  which "Top 100" list will be put out there next:

Top 100 Locker Rooms.
Top 100 clubs with best mixed drinks and on-tap beer selection.
Top 100 courses with the nicest benches.
Top 100 clubhouses, although I supsect something like this already exists.
Top 100 best bag drops.

Top 100 Caddies
Top 100 Beer Cart Girls

The top 100 bev cart girls issue would be the best selling ever (with enough "tasteful" pics of course)

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 07:16:54 PM »
For those that think that rating golf shops is a waste of time.....

As the article mentions, it's been going on for 24 years. It was handled most of those years by Golf Shop Operations magazine (an industry pub, so most people would never see the results). For many clubs whose courses we'd never discuss here, it's a chance to get some recognition among their peers.

It's an application process. Panelists are not submitting ratings. A club decides if they want to submit their shop for consideration, and the application is very time consuming. For those that apply, being named to the list is a great source of pride. Is it that horrible to give the professional something to feel good about?

I challenge someone to go into one of the clubs on the list and tell the pro what a joke/waste of time it is and report back with the reaction you get. Please cut your PGA Professionals some slack.

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 07:47:18 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The top 100 bev cart girls issue would be the best selling ever (with enough "tasteful" pics of course)

I agree...but it would have to be published in Maxim!
H.P.S.

Ray Richard

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
It’s nice to see Pine Oaks Golf Course in South Easton, Mass on the list again. Leigh Bader and Joe Ricci started out as clerks in the pro-shop at nearby Easton Country Club thirty years ago. They acquired the nine-holer Pine Oaks in the early 1980’s. The original clubhouse, built of cheap plywood, contained about 500 square feet. They added plenty of product with good service, creating a golf course equipment dynasty. The clubhouse is now a two-story showcase with an indoor driving range stocked with everything needed to outfit a golfer.

They added an Internet division, 3balls.com, ten years ago. It’s amazing that this golf equipment powerhouse is located at the end of a winding drive, on a quirky nine-hole course, in a sleepy town.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »

AMEN.Plus,do you really want to buy equipment at the suggestion of a part-time high school kid being paid to push today's special?
[/quote]

I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions on the equipment I purchase, I don't need a part time high school kid pushing todays special on me, nor do I need a golf pro in a golf shop pushing the equipment that he carries on me.  I can demo whatever I want, whenever I want, and when I make the decision to purchase, I can go to a golf discount store where the options are endless and the deals are great and buy the equipment I decided I liked the best.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Peter Galea

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »

I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions on the equipment I purchase, I don't need a part time high school kid pushing todays special on me, nor do I need a golf pro in a golf shop pushing the equipment that he carries on me.  I can demo whatever I want, whenever I want, and when I make the decision to purchase, I can go to a golf discount store where the options are endless and the deals are great and buy the equipment I decided I liked the best.

If price is the only thing that's important to you, then you've got it nailed.
"chief sherpa"

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:49 PM »
PGA Tour Shop -- San Francisco, San Francisco, Calif.

A shop at the airport made the list? 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
I go to my local top 100 rated shop and try out the clubs at the range and then buy them on line because the prices are so much lower.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
The only reason Hidden Creek is listed on there is because of the girl that works in there!!!!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 01:05:47 AM »
I go to my local top 100 rated shop and try out the clubs at the range and then buy them on line because the prices are so much lower.

No doubt you go in and complain to the pro and let him handle any problems you have with your online clubs :( :( :( :(

Did you forget to use  :P or are you really that big a ......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »
Check out this website that this thread inspired me to find:

www.badgolfer.com/beer-cart-girl
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
Me and my boy Anthony, we like to keep it real when we shop.

Seriously? What golf stuf do you buy at Wal Mart?

Pat,

This has been a very educational thread. I did not realize you can get golf stuff at the course. I thought all that stuff was for MEMBERS ONLY.

Wal-mart is awesome. I take my wife there on date nights.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back