News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

Eldorado Country Club (1959 Ryder Cup Venue) Photos
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
Eldorado Country Club is one of the more famous old style country clubs in the Coachella Valley.  It hosted the 1959 Ryder Cup in October, where United States won.  They are celebrating their 50th anniversary right now, and have great flags on all of the pins. 

This course was designed by Lawrence Hughes in 1957, but was then redesigned by Tom Fazio around 2003.  The course is quite tight with multi million dollars home bordering almost every hole on each side.  This equates to have OB on both sides of the fairway on every hole, which IMO is horrible.  If you are not a straight driver you would be extremely scared to play here with all the nice homes around.  The tee shots are pretty plain with a couple of holes asking for a slight cut or draw to avoid the solo fairway bunker on the one side of the fairway.  The greens on this course are the most boring set of greens I have ever played.  They are pancakes; I had a couple of putts that didn't move an inch from over 40 feet.  It was an enjoyable walk on flat ground, but not once does the course go up against the mountainside property, it was all saved for real estate.  I can't argue with them though because this club sold all its memberships and home sites, and is now member owned without any problems in this economy.

Hole 1 Par 5

Hole 2 Par 3

Hole 3 Par 4

Hole 4 Par 4

Hole 5 Par 3

Hole 6 Par 4

Hole 7 Par 3

Hole 8 Par 4

Hole 9 Par 5

Hole 10 Par 4

Hole 11 Par 4

Hole 12 Par 3

Hole 13 Par 5

Hole 14 Par 4

Hole 15 Par 4

Hole 16 Par 3

Hole 17 Par 5

Hole 18 Par 4

John Kirk

Re: Eldorado Country Club (1959 Ryder Cup Venue) Photos
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »
Hi Peter,

I found it quite a shock to see your less than complimentary comments, then be treated to a very nice collection of photos.  The holes may play too narrow and the greens may be too flat for our tastes, but I find the photo tour quite attractive, and see some nice strategic elements there, especially greens with pins tucked behind bunkers.

Probably a very nice club for an older membership.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back