News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: The best architects you've never heard of
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
No disrespect to Tom, but back home in Australia, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the 15 or so blokes I regularly played with would have never heard of Tom Doak. And some of that group have played Kidnappers and Barny Dunes!

The ex-pro designers are at an advantage if only because they hit the scene with a Name and public awareness.

Lester George

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »

Tom Self, Redlands, CA

Glenn Muckley, Richmond, VA

James McMenamin, ODG

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
Scott:

No disrespect taken -- that's the way of the world, and it really doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm always surprised when someone DOES recognize me or my name.

Lester:

I'll vote for your guys, because you're the first to list three guys that I have never heard of.  How many courses have they built?

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
Tom, I didn't imagine you would, and when you think of it, how many Knicks fans could tell you which architect designed Madison Square Garden, or could art fans tell you who designed the Musee d'Orsey in Paris?

I'd imagine the % who could might well be as small as the % of golfers who take notice of golf course designers. Just as well you didn't get into it for the chicks ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Bob Renaud

I grew up on a steady diet of Renaud designs:

-Lake Tansi
-Deer Creek
-Cumberland Gardens (aka Briarwood & Renegade Mountain)

all in Crossville.

Lester George

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »
Tom,

McMenamin did only one course, James River Country Club in Newport News Virginia.  He was a Virginia State Amateur Champion.  He was rumored to have worked on another course but I have never found any connection.  James River is an excellent golf course that I did a renovation on in the mid 90's.

Tom Self is an artistic genius (along the lines of Stranz) who worked many years as the principal designer for Algie Pulley in Walnut Creek.  When I went to work for Algie, Tom came east and ran the Virginia office and spent the better part of two years teaching me grading, drainage, strategy and basically "how we do it for Algie".  He has done maybe 3 or 4 courses on his own but I don't know which ones.  He currently manages and operates Redlands Country Club.

Glenn Muckley is my senior design associate and has been with me now for almost 5 years.  He has tremendous potential and is very talented.  He has an engineering degree from University of Illinois and worked at Williamsburg Environmental (on golf course projects) for 4 or 5 years before coming here.  He has been the lead guy on many projects and has built Ballyhack, Willow Oaks, Old White, Rock Manor and Langley Air Force Base with me in the last three years.

Lester

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
There are a bunch of them.  I don't think the industry has ever had such a depth of talent.

While most everyone here knows Jeff Brauer, he is probably not all that well known outside of TX.  His Tangle Ridge, Ridgeview Ranch, and Squaw Valley- Links, all in TX, are really good, very affordable courses.  I enjoyed his course just south of Denver and look forward to visit his highly regarded courses in KS and MN.

John Colligan came out of Jeff's shop and has done excellent solo work at Squaw Valley- Lakes, Hawks Creek, and Mansfield National.  He has also completed the highly successful renovations of Prairie Lakes and Tillie's Brackenridge in San Antonio, and serves a number of TX clubs in ongoing renovations and improvements.

Gary Stephenson worked with Graham/Panks and was primarily responsible for one of my favorite TX daily-fee courses, Tierra Verde.  His solo effort at Frisco Lakes is very good, and though I have not played Robson Ranch, I've heard that it is in the same class.

I have played Wolf Point and it is THAT good.  If this represents Mr. Nuzzo's first effort, the future is most exciting.  I can't wait.

PCCraig

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 12:53:56 PM »
Rick Jacobson has done some nice work around Chicago. He may not be the GCA-Style as I believe he used to be under Jack N., however he has done alot of restoration work at various privates (North Shore/Bob O') as well as his own designs (Strawberry Creek in Kenosha) and a neat par-3 course next to The Glen Club (Glenview National Nine).
H.P.S.

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
A relatively new guy on the block, Dan Hixson of Portland, Oregon.

His first venture at Bandon Crossings has generally been well reviewed. Wine Valley in Walla Walla, Washington is due to open soon and judging from the pictures, looks like he might be 2 for 2.

Ray Richard

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
Tim Gerrish, affiliated with Mark Mungeam. Great draftsman who develops nice bid packages.Bid forms in Excel are great!

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »

Tom Self is an artistic genius (along the lines of Stranz) who worked many years as the principal designer for Algie Pulley in Walnut Creek.  When I went to work for Algie, Tom came east and ran the Virginia office and spent the better part of two years teaching me grading, drainage, strategy and basically "how we do it for Algie".  He has done maybe 3 or 4 courses on his own but I don't know which ones.  He currently manages and operates Redlands Country Club.

Lester, I am curious if you were on staff for Pulley when he was involved in the expansion of Moraga Country Club in the SF Bay Area from 9 to 18 holes?

I was part of the outside membership group that helped fund the expansion and most of us were bitterly disappointed with the outcome of that project. Without a doubt some of the strangest golf holes ever known to mankind ended up being built.

I understand he was relieved of his duties during the construction project and the finished product may not be reflective of his designs. Any input on this? Thanks.

david h. carroll

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »
locally, in the Maryland area, Joel Weiman has done some great work at The Uplands (NLE), Mountain Branch and Glen Riddle.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
One name: Keffrey Bauer.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
One name: Keffrey Bauer.

yeah I hear that guy is awesome. Some of his courses include Bowcoys Golf Club, Holbert Kills, Can Streak Station, We Thilderness, Riant's Gig, and Lopryland.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
Scott:

Your analogy to Madison Square Garden or the Musee d'Orsay isn't such a reassuring one, because those places are not marketed with their architect's names like golf courses generally are.

Lou:

I agree with you that there is a TON of talent out there.  Best example I can think of is Barnbougle Dunes.  Most of my crew had worked in New Zealand the previous six months, and just wanted to get back to the USA; plus the developer was pleading poverty and couldn't afford the highly-paid guys.  So I put my youngest associate, Brian Schneider, on the job, with three interns (Kyle Franz, George Waters, and Philippe Binette), plus a couple of shapers who worked with Michael Clayton in Australia ... every one of them under 30 years old.  And they just went out and built one of the best courses I've ever done.  There are lots of talented people if only there was work for them all.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
locally, in the Maryland area, Joel Weiman has done some great work at The Uplands (NLE), Mountain Branch and Glen Riddle.

I second this.......he is a joy to work with
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
Bill Bergin in the SE.  Great work at Auburn Univ., a great renovation of Chattanooga CC (Ross) and a solid body of other work in GA, AL, SC and elsewhere.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back