News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Now where did I put that bulldozer?
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »
Apparently somebody decided to hide a bulldozer under the golf course..

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/031009dnmetbulldozer.2a228b7a.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:43:38 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Anthony Gray

Re: Bulldozer bogey
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »

I think there are a few at Whistling Straits.

Anthony

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Bulldozer bogey
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »
I am struggling to figure out what motive someone would have to report a dozer stolen, but then just bury it rather than sell it?  Did they break it so badly that they didn't want to pay for the repairs under the lease agreement?

In the comments section, someone who seems to know the situation hints that there is more to the story than reported.   Who knows.  I have known contractors to bury old, end of the line equipment that they own on sites.  Even that would probably be a crime now under environmental laws, unless all the oil parts were taken off.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Hancock

Re: Now where did I put that bulldozer?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
An insurance policy with "Replacement costs" vs. true value was in place, I would bet.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
How many bulldozers actually get stolen? I always see them sitting around construction sites overnight...but how would you move it without anyone noticing???
H.P.S.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »
there is course in austin, tx i have played, river place i think, that supposedly has a school bus buried under one of the greens on the back nine....i have to admit that green was much much harder than any other on the course, is really built up, and has a very hollow/echo sound when you hit your putter on it...  not sure i really believe it, so take it for what is worth.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 09:08:44 AM »
In 1978, at the depth of the drought in Northern California, the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in the Sierras, source of San Francisco's water supply, got so low that bulldozers and steam shovels and other equipment caught when the reservoir was built and flooded in the 1930's was revealed as the water went down!

I'd love to see photos of that if anybody can find them.  It must have been quite dramatic!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »
I want to know how they found it? I mean, did some hack take a divot so big he revealed the roof or something? Was some old boy out there with a metal detector looking for burried quarters? Severe rainfall leading to some gigantic sinkhole? I want to know how this was found.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
 Allegedly there's one under the 13th at Loch Lomond that sank during construction :-\
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:35:15 PM »
I guess the only thing to left to figure out is which lucky person gets to try to find the tractor that is likely buried elsewhere on the course...  ;D

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
I know I've had to operate a few dozers I would have buried!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »
Bulldozers are nothing. In the great PNW we bury dynamite bunkers under golf holes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back