News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Re: Palmetto Golf Club
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
Looks like a very challenging set of one shotters at Palmetto - all with at least fairly formidable distance and strategic merit, yet still unique.

Great pics!

hick

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
Has anyone seen the link to this thread from the palmetto web site? thanks for the photos.

john_stiles

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

Would agree with Ed that it is not an unrelenting beast, and that is much of the charm, always trying to better your play on a course that doesn't yield many easy birdies.  You just know you could have done better.  The course drains well, and generally plays very firm and fast.

The newly renovated (2007?) golf shop and snack bar are a little more formalized than before.  Still the snack shop offers only nice sandwiches, hot dogs, drinks, and snacks.

Also, on hole #4,  would agree to get as close as possible, and probably need to get inside 150 yards to have a decent shot at the green.  The left side of fairway is a much better angle for approach though.  Even for a long hitter,  you need something (hybrid/4/5 wood) drawing and going 230-240.   If your drive is shorter, and you are back at a 175-200 yard approach,  the second at #4 becomes very difficult.

Thanks for the photos.  As we all know from TV and our photos that the elevation changes are 'flattened out.'  The course has quite a bit of rise and fall as you play.   But,  it is not a difficult course to walk.

Homer Stiles

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »
Ahhhh, great pics.....one has to LOVE golfing in the low country!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
Bump

Just 21 more days Dixie Cuppers - can't wait!

A neat write-up about the Palmetto Golf Club by SI's Michael Bamberger can be found here...

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1608483,00.html#

Where I loved seeing this...

"Palmetto sometimes yields vintage gutties after a hard rain."

8) 8) 8)

JC Jones

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »
Solid BUMP Eric.  I cant wait to play this gem.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »
Here is a picture from a 1932 magazine. Mackenzie (and Miller) redesigned this course (which is cross town) while they were building ANGC. In this picture it appears the greens were still sand.

David Stamm

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

A neat write-up about the Palmetto Golf Club by SI's Michael Bamberger can be found here...

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1608483,00.html#

Just the thought of Rees's pieces being allowed to work on a place like this makes me cringe. Why does he continue to get employed at these places??
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Joe Hancock

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
Solid BUMP Eric. 

You utter anything closely resembling this remark while we're sharing a room, you'll be out in the hallway in a heartbeat......
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Solid BUMP Eric. 

You utter anything closely resembling this remark while we're sharing a room, you'll be out in the hallway in a heartbeat......

Unless Eric is also in our room, you shouldn't have too much to worry about; and there is little chance he will be.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Niall Hay

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
Are there any updated pictures for this course? Looks fantastic. 

What is the recent history on the club/course? Work by Renaissance/Doak and/or Hanse? How recently and what was changed?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
Are there any updated pictures for this course? Looks fantastic. 

What is the recent history on the club/course? Work by Renaissance/Doak and/or Hanse? How recently and what was changed?

Niall, I have a full set from November.  If no one else has I'll post them when I get a chance.

Niall Hay

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
Mark, do you live on this site? Very much appreciated.

What did you think of the course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back