News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Russell

Palmetto Golf Club
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:07 PM »
So I got a great chance to play Palmetto the other day, and came away feeling impressed by the club. Est. 1892, perhaps the second-oldest club in the U.S. if you count continual use of one site. It also happened to be the first time I've played a MacKenzie. With all due respect to the lists, this is a top-100 club. It gets so much out of a confined piece of property for a 6700 yd. course. While 16-18 are crammed and a bit awkward if you don't know the routing, 18 possessed the best psychological hazard I've ever witnessed (more on that later). So many unique holes with strategic problems throughout, so one has to actively weigh options on every shot. The place was welcoming as I had heard it would be, allowing me to bring a guest. I asked my father, who had not hit a golf shot or played with me since I was 14. Ten full years since a hip replacement, and it was truly special to be able to share a day on the golf course with him again. This day goes to the top of the chart for all those reasons, so enjoy the pics...

This is not a golfing community. It's a horse neighborhood with a nice golf club. But a good-looking sign, albeit hard to find tucked behind a barn.

Stanford White clubhouse

Men's Locker Room

#1 - Lookout/Par-4, 389 yds.
 Testing distance and accuracy right off the bat, the play is anything on line with the end of the right fairway bunker. Notice the depression after the first set of bunkers that catches long hitters being aggressive off the bat and gives a possible downhill lie to an elevated, shallow green.

Awkward stances abound behind the 1st

Not a good idea to be short and left like Dad

#2 - Whiskey/Par-4, 368 yds.
 Huge wow factor with waste bunker short and sunlight on the giant knob fronting the green. Without looking at the card, the hole looks like a driver, but a 230 shot puts it right before the right fairway bunker...

Again, not a place to be short or long, but the wind swirls here, and the elevation makes the shot that much harder

#3 - Southern Cross/Par-4, 455 yds.
 The ball-buster. Hogan loved it, but I can't twirl a high draw, so this ate my lunch. After a blind tee shot drawn around a stand of pines, the green sits with an 8' high false front, road and o.b. ten yards left, and more swirling wind. Get par and run.

#4 - Red/Par-4, 388 yds.
 Such a unique tee shot, because short of the bunker way left is better than far down the right, because you can see the putting surface from the left. Palmetto asks you to judge where the best spot on each hole is, and does not necessarily reward pure distance every time.

#5 - Palmetto/Par-4, 458 yds.
 We've played 5 par-4's to open the course, but each is different in hazard style and tee shot preference. While #4 asks for a smart play, this is bomb driver to the left. Not quite the brute as #3, but the four-shelf segmented green is the nastiest on the course.

#5 - Valley/Par-5, 464 yds.
 Not a par-5, and not really in a valley, this is only saved by the great bunker work and the chipping areas surrounding the green. Easy birdie that gets taken away on the next hole.

!!!

#7 - Ridge/Par-3, 180 yds. (with a 193 tee available)
 Bobby Jones called this "the best non-water par-3 in golf". Yep. This is also the first par-3 on the course. Wind was at our backs, making this even more difficult for the club selection. The first time I've ever purposely played to hit in a bunker. Dad went off the cliff, but made bogey. Noticeably slower green, and did not seem to be as firm (thankfully...)

#8 - Blackjack/Par-4, 441 yds.
 Eye candy right in front with the waste bunker, the wind helped make this hole seem relatively easy. Then I noticed the green.

A small target with a sideways buried elephant beneath, the area fronting the green has a Biarritz type swale where a running shot disappears and comes back up a bank. Which is the shot I hit to get pin high. But the whole time, the eye seems goes left to the 9th hole...

#9 - Halfway/Par-3 199 yds.
 As soon as we stepped on the tee, the wind turned and came back into us. That made it play about 215. The depression on the left hides a blind bunker, so a low shot into the bank is tricky. Just hit and hope!

(Part 2 Coming Up...)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:47:23 PM by Adam Russell »
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Chip Gaskins

Re: Palmetto Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
I played it about 15 years ago and loved it then, it looks much better now.  That #3 green is pretty sweet.

Thanks for posting.

Jon Heise

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
These are the first pics Ive seen of this course.  Spectacular!
I still like Greywalls better.

Adam Russell

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »

#10 - Turn/Par-5, 518 yds.
 After coming off what seems like a high ridge, 10 goes higher than that. The wind is blowing harder, and the back of the green is noticeable from the second one steps to the tee. There is sure death behind it, and the golfer jockeys for position on every shot to avoid it.

Or you could shank it in the woods on your second shot and leave this for an approach. Still made birdie after knocking it to 5'. Huge chipping slopes that feed heavily into the green, pushing the pad upwards.

#11 - Drop/Par-3, 185 yds.
 This shot was taken five paces off the back of #10 green.The shot is not interfered with by brush, but is is semi-blind from the back of the back tees. The wind aided the shot, and the front shelf accented by the falloff to the back portion of the green makes this shot hairy.

The cant of the front portion of the green is evident, as is the size, which is much bigger than from on top of the hill. I say try to play short, because this shot seemed easier than any other point on the hole, including putting from back to front of the green

#12 - Pond/Par-4, 448 yds.
 Ree Jones has a direct copy of this hole, #4 at Piedmont Driving Club in Atlanta. Nice swinging draw, but from the forward tees I would have thought to give it a go if they cut the pine tree to the left down. The green tilts sharply back to front and is wide and squared off, but the chipping area in front has an angle that will stop a ball running in.

#13 - Cabin/Par-4, 423 yds.
 Named for the maintenance shack of the left, this must be the goat hill hole Doak talked about in the Confidential Guide - it's U.S. Open hard and straight up the escalator. The green complex saves it in my opinion. Think small, angled halfpipe with a back left knob.

#14 - Crazy Creek/Par-5, 550 yds.
 One of the most unique feature hazards I've seen. With a downwind I flew this on right, but I didn't know it was even there until I got further down the hole. Its blind, and about four feet deep. There is a scary approach shot with water seemingly looming left. A visual trick, its not really in play on this hole. Right-to-left cant of the green defies the placement of a good drive on the right, as a shortside is dead.

#15 - High/Par-4, 338 yds.
 Blind shot that curves and bounds up a hill, this shot is made all the more difficult by the members on the 1st tee looming to watch your shot. Part of the psychological hazards in this part of the course. This is where the acreage starts to get cramped, but every inch of space is well-designed, as this short half-par goes through a natural hogsback with a larger halfpipe depression on the right. The front of the green is hollowed out, and the wind pushed my flip wedge back down the slope in front.

#16 - Berrie/Par-3, 212 yds.
 Unique to me because I don't know many other par-3 16th's that play from the front door of the club. A fortress green perched five feet high on the left, the running shot will be stymied by the sharp angle of the front. Very shallow and small green for the yardage. Par is quite good here.

The slopes of the surrounds

Looking backwards to where we just played, the hole seems like the front yard for the club. Design-wise I thought this was an interesting/appropriate landscape solution

#17 - Brae/Par-4, 388 yds.
 One to be careful with the placement, as a huge depression splits this hole into a target fairway and green. The best play is to the left away from the fairway bunker, unusual for Palmetto, as most bunkers are placed to entice getting close to get a better angle. Not so here since the green angles right. The wind pushed the shot right towards trouble, but the green itself is the flattest on the course.

#18 - Home/Par-4, 306 yds.
 I say this is the least driven hole of its length. Why? The great waste bunker, the hidden green and two deep greenside bunkers positioned to catch anything short and bouncing or faded, and the fact that when I went to hit, there were ten people within twenty yards on the left, right, and back of the hole. So I layed up. And then I layed up again...I'd like to be invited back someday, and hitting a member wasn't cutting it  ;) 18 must be the smallest green on the course, and the closeness of the surrounding areas make it charming, old world, but very claustrophobic.

All in all, a wonderful course, fully capable of stretching out and flexing its teeth. Because of a college tournament the day before, the course was lush and all pins were in the middle. Yet perhaps half the holes offer a chance to post a big number. It is exactly what a good club is all about, and it was an honor to be a guest and show my Dad a little bit of good golf architecture. An unforgettable day, and a must-play for anyone.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:41:34 PM by Adam Russell »
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »
My dad and I had the great fortune of playing there four or five years ago.  They were in the midst of the beginning of their renovation when we were there.  I cannot think of many places where I have felt more beautiful serenity on a golf course than at Palmetto.  I love that place; it looks fantastic from the pictures.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:57:59 AM »
Wow!  I really like the look of this course.  It sort of reminds me of Pinehurst area courses, but with a bit of pizzaz and rough n' readiness mixed in.  Adam, thanks for posting the pix.  Do you have anymore?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:36:54 AM »
I promised my wife I would not travel as much this season.

I promised my wife I would not travel as much this season.

I promised my wife I would not travel as much this season............

Thanks for the pics. Love everything about Palmetto albeit from afar to date.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
Adam

Thanks for the pictorial tour.  The routing is Herbert Leeds, the greens Mackenzie, built from May to July 1932 (or thereabouts).  Wendell Miller's firm handled the construction and RL Brown served as the on-site foreman. Miller's firm built ANGC at the same time.

Mackenzie also lengthened the course in this project from 5,838 to 6,270.  The club believes the 9th hole is original to Mackenzie.

The course and its greens have been altered, notably in lengthening and in Rees Jones's reworking.  Not sure the extent of Jones's work; according to newspaper accounts, in 1989 he redid the bunkering and in 1998 he redid the 5th green.

Subsequent to all this Gil Hanse came in, and with the help of Palmetto's excellent greenkeeper, restored or rebuilt the bunkers (as best as the photographic evidence allowed) to the time of Mackenzie's work. (I think Hanse may have lengthened the course, too.)

Regarding the greens, they provide an excellent study in the application of Mackenzie's economy in golf course construction.  Mackenzie's earliest writing contains passages on using cut-and-fill techniques to save on the costs of carting.  These greens offer excellent examples of that.

Mackenzie design elements or themes around the greens abound, including his employment of one-sided bunkering, sideslope-benching, bold slopes, and visual compression.

In short, they are a joy to behold and I know of at least two people who separately and happily marooned themselves on the course for 5+ hours!

FWIW I would not consider 13 goat-hillish.  11, 15, and 18 are hillier.

Sean, if I can I will try to post a few pictures that illustrate what I've written.  Additionally, are there any holes of particular interest?

Mark

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:57:59 AM »

Dixie Cup?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
Adam,
Thanks for posting these pics.  It's been a while since I've seen any of Palmetto and it's looking great.

Missing right on 7 looks either like no fun or a lot of fun depending on what you're playing for.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »

Dixie Cup?

From conversations at and immediately after last October's Dixie Cup, I believe Palmetto and Camden are on the radar.  Mr. Whitaker?

Mike Sweeney, this would be a brief stop for you en route to Mountain Lake!  ;)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
Looks like Rhett Baker and Crew are doing a great job! The tee markers look like the same ones used at Yeamans Hall.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:11:25 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Shimp

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Adam,
Thanks so much for posting.  These are the best pictures of Palmetto that I've seen taken.  A friend saw your posting before I did and thought so much of the pictures that he recommended that the club consider asking permission to use them. I will make sure that this link gets forwarded to the club.

Palmetto is a unique, fun, and demanding course that has aura that should be taken in by architecture buffs.  A fall '09 Camden/Palmetto event is in the works.  In fact I owe Jamey Bryan a call.

Thanks again.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
Wow...that looks absolutely terrific.   Talk about making me ache for spring!! 

Thanks for your efforts here, Adam!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
Wow, what great timing, I'm playing here for the first time on Tuesday and these pictures just increased my anticipation level ten fold!!  Thanks for the great pics.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
This course is very high on my wish list and I fortunately have a gracious invitation outstanding.  From the photographs I'm thinking it fits nicely into the "mere quintessence" category along with such courses as LuLu and Mid-Pines.  It is such a wonderful juxtaposition to modern courses - including those reknowned ones, with their superfluous frilly edged bunkers, impeccable conditioning, contrived minimalism and architectural gimmicks. 

LONG LIVE THE DEAD GUYS!

Bogey
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:01:32 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
If I could figure out why I've only played at Palmetto once even though I live an hour and ten minutes away (and have a niece and nephew who live in Aiken to boot) then I'd be a much smarter person than I actually am. It's a wonder.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
Adam,
nice pics.
I'm curious about your comments on the green complex on #13 "saving" the hole.
It's a great driving hole and a great approach. Why does it need saving?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Russell

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
Sorry everyone for just getting back - sleeping in during Spring Break!

-Sean, here are some pics that show off the site and landscape more...

Shared area between 10/8 that showed off the Pinehurst element with the love grass and scruffy sand. The curves of the waste bunker in the distance are directly at eye level, a cool designed look that makes you take notice

Going back, 11 greensite is to the immediate right behind the leaning tree, #6 behind it, #5 to the left of that, and #4 is way back. Shows off the openness and course presentation well.

Shot of the Cabin and scruffy areas between holes that contrasted with the quality of the turf on each hole's set-up and really made the course shine

Taken looking back down #5 with connecting fairway and bunker of #6.

Through the trees looking back at #8

As required on an adventure and picture-taking trek as this, the obligatory rear shot and the chipping plain before #6 green

I try to see if I can answer all the questions. For the hospitality shown to me and my father by Rhett and the staff in the pro shop, I'm giving blanket permission to anyone who wants to use these pics - I'd really be honored that they thought enough of our photography to use it. I wish I had one pic of the wooded cart path areas with stark red clay paths between magnolia trees and a shot of the hill left on #7. The paths take you in and out of the woods, and it feels like a time warp.

jeffwarne - Cabin (13) was my least favorite hole. Visuals are okay, but its really just a flat plain going up canted sharply to the left, flat area past the bunker, flat plain going up to the green. Little or no movement in the ground, and I kept wanting to see more of the bunker on the left. Most tee shots at Palmetto have something in the distance that grabs your attention on the tee shot and makes you jockey for position. This tee shot said hit it as far as you can with driver to me. Not the same kind of thought into design ideas. Plus, I hit my tee shot a little right of the right bunker edge and it kicked me down twenty yards left to right behind the pine tree, so I may have been frustrated somewhat. It just didn't seem to have much to it in relation to other holes at Palmetto, where there is so much going on with ground movement and bunkers that it stuck out. Tough hole, though.

Mark B. - you're right. 11, 15, 18 are all hillier - probably 9 as well. You just notice it more on 13 because its cleared out all around and the angles are sharp going up the hill. I loved the 2,3,4 stretch, because as far as architecture goes, nothing hits you in the mouth quite like the knob front right on 2, the false front/road combo on 3, and the gully on 4. High quality stuff. 7 carved out of the hillside is a lesson in simplistic design being stand-out and terrifying. 15 for combined natural ground undulations and designed greenside swales/valleys.

Anthony Nysse - you reminded me what I forgot to take of picture of. Every one of the markers had the name of a Tennessee railroad company stamped into it - don't know why, just stood out because we were in SC.

John Mayhugh - For my dad, it was a joy, because he was always a good short game player. For him, and anyone for that matter, hitting a crisp chip back up that mountain told him he was back as a golfer, and he played relaxed the rest of the day. Bogey from down there is a good score, because from that angle the green is about seven yards wide with deep bunkers behind and thick native to catch a shot too strong.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
How this isnt a Top 100 Classic, i don't know....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Adam Russell

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »
Just looking at the Classics list on another thread, I could easily see this between 80-90, and probably between 70-80...

Chris Ord

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
spectacular!  thanks for the pics.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

Dixie Cup?

From conversations at and immediately after last October's Dixie Cup, I believe Palmetto and Camden are on the radar.  Mr. Whitaker?

Mike Sweeney, this would be a brief stop for you en route to Mountain Lake!  ;)

Bill -We're working on it!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Copeland

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
Im glad I rescued Rhett from Club Car and hired him to work with us at The Walker Course when he decided to change careers and go to turf school at Clemson ........

Looks like he took what he learned at Walker and ran with it.....course looks fantastic
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Chuck Brown

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:52:27 PM »
What is the deal that the magnificent Palmetto membership offers to outsiders during Masters week?  Special "unaccompanied" rates as I understand it.
From all I know, the club is an absolute model for classicism, grace and friendliness.  What else is there?
I want to be there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back