News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: The Drivable 10th at Augusta National Golf Club?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 04:15:44 AM »
Fascinating article.  Within four or so years of opening, already major changes were made to ANGC.   They wanted to make the course more "fair": no freaky bounces.  Less links-like, with fewer ground game challenges.  Truer to the Georgia landscape. 

I wonder how much input Bob Jones had on these changes.  I'd also love to see pictures of the course, from the ground, that show how it looked, pre-Maxwell.  Does anyone know more specifics on how they neutered the course's links character?

BCrosby

Re: The Drivable 10th at Augusta National Golf Club?
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
Jim -

See Stan Byrdy's book. It will answer most of your questions. The look of the greens at the time ANGC opened were captured in a number of photographs by Frank Christian. When you combine those photos with MacK's detailed green elevations, you can get a pretty good idea what MacK and Jones built.

As the 1938 article notes, the greens were by any measure, radical.

The article itself is very interesting. The refrain that MacK's and Jones' design was changed to make certain features more "fair" is especially significant. I say that because the egregious "fair/unfair" locution is not one that Bob Jones used. He knew better. It is, however, a locution that Cliff Roberts used.

Bob 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back