News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Travel & Leisure Golf is closing
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »
Very sad indeed , one of the few magazines out there that truly appears to have a grasp on architectural issues as opposed to strict golf course promotion.
That really leaves Brad Klein and his efforts at Golfweek as the best source...and I would imagine he has to try very hard to be an avid architecture "bod" first and advertising sourse second...a very thin tightrope I would think.
I think he does the job of juggling to the wto very well by the way.

One has to wonder if there is a market out there for a strictly architecrure based quarterly or something?
With Tom Paul's contacts..One wonders if a high quality"gca quartely" would have a market?
Tom Dunne what do you think?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
Saw that today on Twitter from someone who keeps up with the layoffs and closing in media.

The irony in that statement cannot go unnoted.

Tweet, tweet. (Coincidentally, that's just what the canary in the coal mine always said, too, moments before it keeled over.)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 12:49:33 PM »
Damn shame.  Loved this magazine and had a subscription almost from the beginning.  Really enjoyed the course/trip profiles.  Last time I went to Hilton Head (05), I used the restaurant recommendations and each place was exquisite!

Guess I'll need to box my back issues up and save them for a rainy day.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
There's probably room for such a thing at GCA -- but it would require some advertising/sponsorship of the site. I doubt it would change much, but it would allow a few professional writers to tackle some subjects that the magazines will have little regard for. Look at how interested everyone on this site is when Whitten or Brad actually get an architecture story into their respective publications. Now imagine how good those stories could be if they were web-based and written for a more specific audience...

Very sad indeed , one of the few magazines out there that truly appears to have a grasp on architectural issues as opposed to strict golf course promotion.
That really leaves Brad Klein and his efforts at Golfweek as the best source...and I would imagine he has to try very hard to be an avid architecture "bod" first and advertising sourse second...a very thin tightrope I would think.

One has to wonder if there is a market out there for a strictly architecrure based quarterly or something?
With Tom Paul's contacts..One wonders if a high quality"gca quartely" would have a market?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
Saw that today on Twitter from someone who keeps up with the layoffs and closing in media.

The irony in that statement cannot go unnoted.

Tweet, tweet. (Coincidentally, that's just what the canary in the coal mine always said, too, moments before it keeled over.)

Good one, Dan (insert humble admiration emoticon here)

Rich

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

MWP, you should check on the fantastic magazine produced by the Australian golf course architects' society - I'll dig up a link. It's is miles beyond any mag out there, so much so that you can't even really call it a magazine.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
George,

Are they still publishing since Neil left?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »

Michael:

This thread, and more broadly GCA as a website, is probably why such a quarterly will never get off the ground. As others have pointed out over the years, for all the nashing of teeth that goes on occasionally on the Discussion Board about OT threads, re-runs of old themes/discussions, and wandering topics, the DG -- and more broadly the website -- remains (by far, I'd argue) the best source around for strictly golf architecture-related discussions and information.

And, thanks to Ran's benefice, it remains free to peruse at one's leisure.

That's the big difference between the web and traditional paper-based publications: one charges for its product, and the other is part of a broader Web culture that transmits and stores information, for the most part, for free.

I suppose I'm part of the problem. I used to subscribe to Golf Digest, and looked forward in particular to anything architecture-related. But I don't subscribe anymore, occasionally looking at it in the library, and have yet to see Whitten write anything that I haven't read before, with more depth, and more detail and insight, on GCA.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »

It was a good source for new courses and wasn't watered down with the trivial.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
George,

Are they still publishing since Neil left?

I'm pretty certain Neil indicated another would be taking over.

SAGCA - The Society of Australian Golf Course Architects
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
I know he indicated that, but nothing appears to have been done. Look at the web page you put up. They are still advertising 2008 as the next issue to be published.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »
My recollection is that the new issue comes out in late spring or early summer. I don't think they're marketing junkies, so they probably just haven't updated the website.

Or I could be just dreaming...

Tom Dunne

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Even though I wasn't there for the magazine's last call, I really appreciate it. This morning it dawned on me, in a kind of bittersweet way, that the last editorial page of the last issue of T+LG carried my byline. It was just a casual little interview with the actor Billy Crudup, a Bayonne member and really nice guy, who I have to imagine will catch no small amount of hell at the club for his role in "Watchmen", as a 100-foot tall naked blue guy who can bend time and space to his will. Thinking about everything that came before it, all the wonderful writers who contributed to those pages over the years...well, it just struck me (and perhaps only me) as funny that it ended on that note. If only Dr. Manhattan could bend our economy back into shape...

On a personal note, I have to thank Ran Morrissett for creating this community. GCA has pulled together so many talented people over the years and I'm sure I would not have encountered, much less worked with, some of you otherwise: Tom Doak, Mark Rowlinson, Jeff Silverman, Rob Thompson, Ian Andrew, Derek Duncan, Tom Ferrell, Lloyd Cole, Scott Macpherson. Rich Goodale even managed to sneak a "charticle" into the very last issue. And there are so many more members of this site who provided amazing insider tips behind the scenes. I know all this sounds sentimental, but working for a magazine gives you such a buzz--creatively, intellectually, socially-- that it leaves a real void when it's gone.

But we move on!

I'm sure my former colleagues--everyone from John Atwood on down the line--would want to join me in saying thanks to all of you who supported the magazine over the years.

Thanks.  

John_Cullum

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
I had never heard of the Florida Sand Belt until T&L Golf made me aware, and I belong to GCA.COM! T&L Golf will be missed including Faldo's tips which seemed to make more sense than most you read.

Interesting. I live in it and I have never heard of it
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Mayhugh

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »
I had never heard of the Florida Sand Belt until T&L Golf made me aware, and I belong to GCA.COM! T&L Golf will be missed including Faldo's tips which seemed to make more sense than most you read.

Interesting. I live in it and I have never heard of it

Why would anyone want to read about the Florida sand belts when Golf Magazine has another club comparison article?  ???

I'm hugely disappointed to lose T&L Golf. 

Here's a link to the sand belt story for those who didn't see it.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-the-florida-sand-belt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back