News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Travel & Leisure Golf is closing
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »
At least that is what it appears. Saw that today on Twitter from someone who keeps up with the layoffs and closing in media.

It's not surprising considering the economic environment, but unfortunate. I always enjoyed the magazine.

George Pazin

Re: Travel & Leisure Golf is closing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
Just when it was really coming to its own; I think the last couple years it has been my favorite golf mag.

(I don't count the Australian Golf Architecture as a golf mag, it is an ever expanding treasure. :))
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
This is indeed bad news.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
Although the recent redesign is not to my taste, it's still the only golf mag I truly enjoy. Pity.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »
This confirms it is really happening:

http://www.foliomag.com/2009/travel-leisure-golf-folds

A real shame. I agree the magazine had really improved over the past couple of years.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
This is a pity.

I always enjoy Tom Dunne's writing on golf architecture, too.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
I agree T and L Golf was improving with each issue, it will be missed.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
I had never heard of the Florida Sand Belt until T&L Golf made me aware, and I belong to GCA.COM! T&L Golf will be missed including Faldo's tips which seemed to make more sense than most you read.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
Very sad
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Garland B. -

I agree with you about Faldo's column in T&L Golf. They are some of the best written instructional pieces I have ever read. I hope they get gathered together and published as a book at some point.

DT

Tom Dunne

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
As some of you know, I worked for T+L Golf for four years. I was part of the first wave of layoffs at the end of 2008. Like any job it had its ups and downs, but overall it was a great place to work. Whenever the occasional magazine-bashing topic appeared here (or elsewhere) it was always really hard for me to hold my tongue because I didn't think people really understood how much labor went into each and every issue of that magazine, and I didn't want to sound self-serving, either. But every issue of T+LG was produced with an uncommon attention to detail from start to finish.

The magazine had a great staff and a great group of freelancers (a fair number of whom are members right here at GCA). It was just a quality publication. What more can you say? It's a sad day.  

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
How did I guess... when production costs start taking a shave, it's always a bad sign for any publication.

Tom Dunne, I've always greatly enjoyed your articles, and hope you and the other freelancers manage to land other gigs, despite these hard times.  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

Shame.

David Druzisky

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
Yes, unfortunate.  I too thought it was one of the better magazines and it kept me informed on some of the new stuff going on around the world.  Had some nice photos as well as compared to the other publications.

How does this economy effect some of the other publications like Links Magazine which has a target market of development oriented properties and the related advertising?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
While certainly much lesser known, those seeking accurate and independent information pertaining to golf travel all around the world, thankfully we still have Golf Odyssey. Given that they don't accept any advertising, they aren't subject to the same economic pressure that be-felled T & L.

Looking back, Ran interviewed David Baum, Golf Odyssey's owner in March 2007 on the Feature Interview section here.

I subscribe. love their work, and this month they have a great piece on Castle Stuart.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
the web site is still active ???

http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »

This is sad news, it was one of the few golf magazines I actually still read.  :(

Chuck Brown

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
It very quietly became my favorite golf magazine.  This is sad.  My thanks to everyone who made it what it was.

Damon Groves

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:18:37 PM »
This is a pity.

I agree. He had some very good articles.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
It is too bad. I liked to save some of the copies that covered courses I hoped to see in the future.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Sean_Tully

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
This is a pity.

I agree. He had some very good articles.

I for one would agree! Bring on the Spion Kop!

Tully

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »
Thank you to Tom Dunne & David Gould.
Good luck.
I hope you make where you go next that much better.
Cheers

Jeff what is your feed?

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 08:34:45 PM »
This is a shame. I was a contributing editor to T&L Golf since 2005, and had the good fortune of meeting Tom Dunne through my work with the publication. It was Tom who gave me the position on the masthead and I wrote a few things for the magazine each year. In fact, I have a piece on Kelowna/Kamloops BC that was supposed to run -- but I suspect it is dead in the water now.

This is too bad -- it was a smart magazine.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
I, too, have been a contributor to T&L Golf for the past year or so.  I very much respect Dave Gould's editorial sensibility - he is as committed to the reader as anyone you will ever know.  If I'm not mistaken, Tom Dunne had already left the magazine.  Tom is an outstanding editor - and a fine writer as well.  He bought a story from me two years ago - a piece on Robert Hunter.  It never ran, but I guess I will shop it around now.

RIP, T&L Golf.

My best to all those affected professionally - and to all the magazine's readers and supporters.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »
There may be others close on T&L's tail....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back