News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

North Carolina - 1 Game
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
On my way down to Kiawah I will be spending a few days in Raleigh.  We (Remy and myself) have time for one game late morning on Friday 3 April.  We must be back for dinner.  I booked Tobacco Road, but the last things the chap said was its $134.  I think this is a bit steep since I don't think I have ever paid more than $70.  I am not at all keen on on the Duke course so there is no need to suggest that one or others of the same ilkish.  I am told Finley is good, but the pix don't look promising.  Any other good public courses within shouting distance of Raleigh that would do the trick?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Cliff Hamm

Re: North Carolina - 1 Game
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
Play Tobacco Road and use an egolfcertificate. Cost is $79, Friday is considered weekend.  They do sell out so I would do it quickly.  Here is the link:

http://www.egolfcertificates.com/billboard.cfm?clubid=4553

Good luck!  I love TR and it is a love it or hate it place.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:44:34 PM by Cliff Hamm »

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
I will second TR.
H.P.S.

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
Sean,

You could always check out Keith Hills CC at Campbell University.  The original course is a pretty good Ellis Maples design.  Greens fees are probably pretty cheap compared to many others.

It's about 30-35 minutes from Raleigh.

http://web.campbell.edu/keithhills/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:56:37 PM by JSlonis »

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »
Play Tobacco Road and use an egolfcertificate. Cost is $79, Friday is considered weekend.  They do sell out so I would do it quickly.  Here is the link:

not valid during April
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:21:15 PM »
I really enjoyed Southern Pines and suspect it is pretty reasonably priced.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »

not valid during April

Sorry.  Saw it was good thru the end of the year.  Missed the fine print that it was good any month except for April.  Too bad.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
Sean,

You could always check out Keith Hills CC at Campbell University.  The original course is a pretty good Ellis Maples design.  Greens fees are probably pretty cheap compared to many others.

It's about 30-35 minutes from Raleigh.

http://web.campbell.edu/keithhills/

J

Tell me more about Keith Hills.  Do you have pix?  

Jason

I thought about S. Pines because I like the course, but they want $122.  Thats something like £85 -  which is a laughable green fee for that course.  Do they get any business?  

Pat & Cliff

I like The Road a lot, but I am sure I never paid more than $70.  Maybe prices have gone in the past few years or I was on a deal of some sort.  I may still go down there because its such a shot in the arm.  I still laugh as hard as my first go round there once I get past the 14th knowing that I haven't seen the end of the wild stuff.  I just wish they would turn the water down - the course is always so soggy.  

Any other courses of interest in the general vicinity?  How far is Tot Hill Farm from Raleigh?

Ciao

David Neveux

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
Sean,

If it's on the route, Tanglewood Park in Winston - Salem is a golf course I really enjoy.  The greens fees are VERY reasonable which I also enjoy.  It's nearly a two hour drive between the cities, but depending on your route down (presuming you are driving) it may be on the way.  

Here is the website's address:   www.forsyth.cc/Tanglewood/golf_TanglewoodCourses.aspx

Tobacco is certainly worthy of a go, but at that rate I understand your apprehension.  I will also add that the Duke University's golf course was average and pricey to boot.  

If your interested in some night life, I can recommend Franklin Street in Chapel Hill 8)

CJ Carder

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »
Sean,

Here are some pics I took the time I played Finley back in 2005 before the Pinehurst Open.  My pics weren't as good as I thought they were, but it should give you a decent idea of the course.  If memory serves correctly, I didn't even get pics of the best holes out there.

Hole #2

Somewhere on the front 9...

Hole #10

Hole #11

Somewhere on the back 9...

Hole #14 maybe?

And the one right after that...

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
Sean-

I will throw in a vote for Keith Hills as well.  It has been a long time since I played it, but I used to really enjoy it.  There are two courses there now, I have only played the old one designed by Ellis Maples.  I have played it half a dozen times and always had a great time.  Bent greens and built in the early 70s I think.  Probably pretty reasonable prices this time of year.  The older course has hosted a lot of good amateur tournaments.

As much as it pains me to as a UNC alum, but the UNC-Finely course is typical Fazio, and is just "OK".  Honestly the best holes on the course (#4, #17, #18) are the left overs from the original design.  The greens are some of the best in NC though.

The Dook course is well, Dookie (did anyone see that game last night :-)

I have heard Raleigh Country Club was restored very nicely (I played it years ago before the redo and liked it a lot) and was Ross' last design.

Mill Creek in Mebane is very solid track for pretty cheap.

Cape Fear CC in Wilmington is suppose to be fantastic (1920 Ross) however I have not played it.  Probably too far away though.

Benvenue is a 1922 Ross course in Rocky Mount (right off I95) that is pretty solid.  I played it 15 or so years ago though.

Of course I love, LOVE, Tobacco Road but that price isn't in line with the reality of the world right now....WOW, nor is that price at Southern Pines.

You could sneak on the few holes at Dormie Club that are done ;D

PM if you need any more help around there...

Chip

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
CJ

Thanks for the pix.  The course looks alright or have you just snuck in a few greens with little bunkering for my sake?????  Still, there are two examples of the dreaded bunker near water disease. 

Chip

I think I played Keith Hills many, many moons ago, but I recall nothing.  I will check it out.

I don't have any private connections and its a bit late now to start writing letters, but if I were to and if I had more time I would really like to see Cape Fear or go back to Old Town.  OT is comfortably my favourite course I have seen in NC.   

Ciao

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »
If you are going to go as far back as to Old Town, I would go to Sedgefield in Greensboro... an old Donald Ross that has been recently restored by Kris Spence and host of the Wyndham.

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
Sean--You will struggle to find affordable golf in this area during April, especially on a Friday. That is peak season around here. The courses don't have to make deals (normally) because they have people beating down the doors to play, especially Southern Pines and Tobacco Road.

The Neuse in Clayton is a pretty fair track, I used to work there. The rate should be reasonable, in the range of $50 or so. Its a cool place to play. (I played there once with a gentleman from England, he said it was a very fine place, and better than anything he had seen in England, for what that may be worth)

Raleigh CC is a good place, if you can get on. Tanglewood (Championship) is also a good place, held the PGA Championship in 1974.

And as far as being in Raleigh for a few days, PM me, maybe we can meet for a drink if you like.

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
One thing you may want to consider that time of year is aeration schedules.  I believe my club aerates in late March.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
Finley looks great, CJ. I am seriously impressed with some of the American courses I have seen on here that you otherwise don't hear about - at least where I am from. Quite amazing.

I've half a mind to ask the good lady if we can split our two years living overseas into a year in the UK and a year in the US ;D

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »

I thought about S. Pines because I like the course, but they want $122.  Thats something like £85 -  which is a laughable green fee for that course.  Do they get any business?  

Pat & Cliff

[/quote]

I don't think Southern Pines is $122.  I think you are looking at the rate for 2 days of golf plus one night's lodging!!  Wonderful place!

John Moore II

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

Pat & Cliff

I don't think Southern Pines is $122.  I think you are looking at the rate for 2 days of golf plus one night's lodging!!  Wonderful place!
[/quote]

No, that is not for 2 days golf and lodging. That is for course fee only, one round. When Avestra Golf took over managing the course 2 years ago, they hiked the rates. I didn't realize it was quite this high, but the rate does not surprise me.  Foxfire is charging $110 and Whispering Pines is charging $103. Insanely high, but so is everywhere else in the Sandhills during the April season. Talamore is charging $129 and Mid South is packaging for about $165.  You can get better rates at the clubs through the packagers when you tie it in with hotels and such, but as far as walk-up rates go, you won't find a course worth playing in the Pinehurst area for (much) less than $100 that time of year.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »
Sean;

Would be glad to have you out to Prestonwood CC here in Cary NC if you still haven't found a game. No better than a 5 or 6 on Doak scale, but we seem to like it here :)

Also, let me know if an evening of drinks materializes - would enjoy meeting you and reason for Raleigh area GCA gang to get together.

Best,
Chip

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:58 PM »
Sean,
    I haven't been out to see much golf yet since we just arrived in August. I have been to TR twice with the winter deals ($39 and $49) and it is a good value at those prices. Whatever watering issues they used to have have been solved or at least they are in winter. It isn't links course dry but it is quite acceptable. I wouldn't pay more than $80-90 to play there as I think Mr. Strantz got a little carried away with the skinny greens.
    I wish I could give you some advice but I have only seen TPC Wakefield Plantation, Occoneechee which is a decent local track that is VERY affordable, Duke which is okay (good place to practice), and TR. If you have time to say hello to another GCA'er I too would be happy to come over to Raleigh for a drink or dinner.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:57:09 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Moore II

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »
Sean,
    I haven't been out to see much golf yet since we just arrived in August. I have been to TR twice with the winter deals ($39 and $49) and it is a good value at those prices. Whatever watering issues they used to have have been solved or at least they are in winter. It isn't links course dry but it is quite acceptable. I wouldn't pay more than $80-90 to play there as I think Mr. Strantz got a little carried away with the skinny greens.
    I wish I could give you some advice but I have only seen Scott Burrough's home course TPC at Wakefield Plantation , Occoneechee which is a decent local track that is VERY affordable, Duke which is okay (good place to practice), and TR. If you have time to say hello to another GCA'er I too would be happy to come over to Raleigh for a drink or dinner.

ed_getka

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »
John,
    Thanks for the help.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

No, that is not for 2 days golf and lodging. That is for course fee only, one round. When Avestra Golf took over managing the course 2 years ago, they hiked the rates. I didn't realize it was quite this high, but the rate does not surprise me.  Foxfire is charging $110 and Whispering Pines is charging $103. Insanely high, but so is everywhere else in the Sandhills during the April season. Talamore is charging $129 and Mid South is packaging for about $165.  You can get better rates at the clubs through the packagers when you tie it in with hotels and such, but as far as walk-up rates go, you won't find a course worth playing in the Pinehurst area for (much) less than $100 that time of year.

I agree SP has improved dramatically but those prices are unreal.  The MidSouth/Talamore rates are shocking.  Is the demand really that high?  I understand those rates for Mid Pines and Pine Needles and some of the resort course... wow!  Thanks for the warning!  I always wondered why my club members frequented PH in Dec, Feb and August!

John Moore II

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »

I agree SP has improved dramatically but those prices are unreal.  The MidSouth/Talamore rates are shocking.  Is the demand really that high?  I understand those rates for Mid Pines and Pine Needles and some of the resort course... wow!  Thanks for the warning!  I always wondered why my club members frequented PH in Dec, Feb and August!

No, the demand is not that high, at least it wasn't last fall, and that was before the economy really nosedived. That rate for Mid South is $30 lower than the peak rate from last year. I am not sure how the Talamore rates compare. I don't know what the demand will be for this season. Some of the rates seem lower than last year, some seem higher (the Avestra rates are higher than last year, BTW). But I can't see the market commanding those rates in these times; places down there will be hurting I think.

Craig Disher

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »
Sean,
With Mid-Pines charging $105 weekday and $140 weekend during April, what are these courses thinking?

A course that hasn't been mentioned is the Bayonet at Puppy Creek. It may be too far for you - it's near Raeford, between Pinehurst and Fayetteville - but the greens fee is reasonable and the course is worth a look. A few uninspired holes but the rest are great fun. The course is very walkable and has been in great shape when I've played it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back