News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipRoyce

Best Charity Outings
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »
The charity thread at Sebonack bring up an idea - let's create a thread that lists charity outings that either:

1) Are at courses worth playing / difficult to access
2) Are just great charity outings period (great value, great people, clubs, causes, gift bags, etc...)

Please share....

Ash Towe

Re: Best Charity Outings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
Chip,
Great idea.  This could be a really useful resource.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »
Autism Speaks - Played Deepdale & Sleepy Hollow - the celeb partners I've had over the years have been:  Melissa Stark, Matt Lauer & last year Otis Livingston (WNBC Sportscaster here in NYC).  Went toe to toe on a long drive contest with Gary Koch (beautiful swing and did I get dusted)....met and had great conversations with Lynn Swann, Johnny Bench, Mia Hamm (she is a terrific golfer).  Otis was a terrific partner this past year....we had a blast.

Boys & Girls Club of Newark - held at Somerset Hills every year.  You play each 9 with a different professional...I was teamed with Woody Austin & Jim Thorpe.  The best part of theis event is that there are spectators walking with you on the course during the outing (Like the US Am), so you get cheers, hi 5's etc. when you hit a goos shot.....wonderful event.

hick

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
Sakonnet golf club in Little Compton has one every june to benefit the AMOS House in Providence. I may try and get a foursome  for this years.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation Golf Outing at Double Eagle.  Held each year in September and supports the CBJ Foundation whose main cause is fighting pediatric cancer. 

8K per foursome and you play with a CBJ player or personality.  Always a great event!
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Brian Potash

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
11th Annual NY Celebrity Golf Challenge
June 15, 2009

The 11th Annual NY Celebrity Golf Challenge will be held on June 15 at the prestigious Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, N.Y., home of the 2006 U.S. Open. This highly anticipated event will continue to build on its impressive fundraising record which raised over $1 million on its 10th Anniversary last year. Participants will have the opportunity to show their stuff on the legendary Winged Foot championship courses, alongside a famed player! Past celebrity golfers have included luminaries from the worlds of sports, entertainment and media.

This event, benefiting the autism community, is truly a wonderful day of golf at one of the world's most challenging and renowned golf courses! The tournament also features fantastic contests, including a shootout for a million dollars! The lively dinner reception, attended by celebrities, players and their guests, consists of a thrilling live and silent auction, which offers guests the chance to bid on luxury items, exclusive access opportunities, and fabulous getaways.

Don't miss your chance to partake in this exciting event, and take your place on the leader board of Autism Speaks supporters! To reserve, please call Cindy Brown at 646.843.6659 or via e-mail at cindy.brown@autismspeaks.org.

Read more and view photos from the 2008 10th Anniversary event here.

CJ Carder

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but the St. Anthony's School in Wexford, PA always has an annual charity outing at Oakmont.  It's usually $800 per person / $3200 per foursome and is generally one of the last Mondays in April.  Here's the link to the school's website.  I got on their mailing list a few years ago but keep coming up a few dollars (read $800) short of going each year.

http://www.stanthonyschoolprograms.com/about.php

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
Several years I and several other GCAers (Pat Mucci, John Bernhardt, Mike Sweeney, Bill Steele, Mark Rowlinson, Geoff Childs I think) played at the Creek Club on Long Island in an autism charity event.  It was really good, great McD/Raynor course, followed by steak and lobster dinner at their beach club.  Couldn't have been any better.

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
I believe that there is one at Myopia Hunt that has been posted on here before.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »
In the great charities category, I LOUDLY proclaim "Golfers Against Cancer".  It's a grassroots organization that was started up by a small group in Houston about a decade ago.  Since then it has raised over $18 million for cancer research and spread to many other major markets (Atlanta, NYC, Boston, Greensboro).  The organization operates on a shoestring budget which means more of your donated dollars go towards actual cancer research.  On top of all of that, it is coordinated and maintained by your golfing bretheren.  For more information about the group, visit www.golfersagainstcancer.org.

By the way, each separate branch has its own auction and/or outing with lots of cool golf items and rounds.  I'm playing Seminole in May as a result.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:41:34 PM by Jay Kirkpatrick »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
Jay Sigel charity outing benefitting cancer research held at Aronimink every summer. Jay really gets involved -- you get to play a great course, great drink and food and Jay personally runs the auction at the end. He gets some great golf memorabilia and outings to auction off.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »
These are all great events.  For those of you in Chicago let me add one that I help chair.

The Sunshine Through Golf Foundation, an arm of the CDGA, provides golf to disabled war vets and other individuals who are physically challenged with a special emphasis on children.  We give numerous clinics at area clubs and have built a 3 hole facility at the CDGA headquarters which is wheelchair accessible and open to all.

Our largest single day fund raiser is our annual outing.  This yeat it will be held on June 8 at Shoreacres.  Limited field (maximum of 24 foursomes), no celebrities, walking with caddies.  Play is usually under 4:20.  Lunch then cocktails and dinner on Shoreacres back porch overlooking Lake Michigan.  Various other goodies as well.

Price $7,500 per foursome.  It has always been a great day.  If you want to know more contact me or the CDGA.  Sorry for the shameless plug.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
Thanks folks for contributing. I'm working to nail down info I've seen in the past on 2 big outings:

1) Seminole - seem to remember that the North Palm Beach Chamber of Commerce or other organization holds an outing just after the club closes for the season.

2) Myopia / Essex CC -  vaguely remember that a local restaurant has a fundraiser that rotates among 2 or 3 courses on Boston's North Shore including Essex and Myopia.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
TCC-Brookline holds a Village of Brookline outing every year...but I think you need to live in Brookline.

The only other "outing" they hold is an annual Brookline Police and Fire Day...where the club lets all the firemen and officers come out and play for free one Monday with the caddies. They also call this the "Caddy Bail Outing," as many speeding tickets have been avoided by caddies thanks to the generosity of that one Monday.
H.P.S.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
There are a couple at Riviera this year:

Pardee Scout Golf Classic

Benefiting Charity: Los Angeles County Council of the Boy Scouts of America
Date: Monday June 22, 2009
Entry Fee: $1500.00

This is the 27th annual Pardee Scout Golf Classic. This is an all-inclusive golf tournament. The entry fee is the only charge. There are no mulligans to buy, no raffle tickets to buy, and there is no auction. Continental breakfast, a full lunch, a served dinner, and all refreshments before, during and after the tournament are included. There will be a raffle; prizes are not known yet. This is a chance to play Riviera Country Club and benefit one of the most important American assets: its young men. Please contact Jim Wisda at jim.wisda@pardeehomes.com for more details.

17th Annual Tom Sullivan Blind Childrens Celebrity Golf Classic

Benefiting Charity: Blind Childrens Center
Date: Monday June 29, 2009
Entry Fee: $1100.00

17th annual tournament benefiting the Blind Childrens Center in Los Angeles. Join Tom Sullivan, Steve Garvey, Norm Crosby, Pat Boone and many more celebrities at the renown Riviera Country Club. Corporate sponsorships available. Enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner with auctions and entertainment, contest holes, putting contest, and so much more! This may be your one and only chance to golf at the Riv. Don't miss out!  Contact laurie@blindchildrenscenter.org for more information.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
The Mon General Hospital Foundation holds two events a year at the Pete Dye Golf Club in Bridgeport.  That's how I've played the course.  Otherwise, it's private, or at least it used to be.  The Foundation, which supports the Mon General Hospital in Morgantown, WV, was organized many years ago by my late father, so naturally I recommend it.  The tournament fees have been reasonable.  Caveat: The August tournament has traditionally been a scramble with six players per team.  It takes about all afternoon to play.  I don't know what the format has been for the June tournament.  The following link should take you to the site: http://www.monhealthsys.org/foundation.cfm?section=events

Brian Joines

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
I always play in a fundraiser for the Logan Center Foundation at Lost Dunes. I believe it's $1400 for a foursome and takes place on June 1st. PM for any specific information as I'm good friends with the family that runs the event.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »
In MSP the Trans Miss Golf Association always has a terrific fall fundraiser.  1 day 36 holes alternate shot at a great venue.  Play is very quick because players hopscotch each other from shot to shot.  I'm not sure if it is limited to trans miss club members.

Michael Powers

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
On October 26 the NEPGA holds a Pro-Am to benefit the NEPGA Scholarship Fund.  You need to play with an NEPGA Professional, but if 3 guys were to put up the dough, I'm certain the Section would pair you.  It is held at Myopia, Salem, and TPC Boston.  Might be a little chilly, but a great opportunity to play Myopia or Salem.
HP

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
The charity thread at Sebonack bring up an idea - let's create a thread that lists charity outings that either:

1) Are at courses worth playing / difficult to access
2) Are just great charity outings period (great value, great people, clubs, causes, gift bags, etc...)

Please share....

Chip,

Here in Denver the most popular venue for charity outings is The Sanctuary GC (Jim Engh). It's owned by Dave and Gail Liniger, who own Remax, and they are the only members. They open the club for numerous charity events every year, and it's usually the only way to access the club/course. I generally get to one event a year there and they are always first class events.  At last year's Children's Hospital event at Sanctuary, Jack and Barbara Nicklaus attended the breakfast and spoke eloquently about the childrens' hospitals cause that they support. Jack didn't play, but it was very cool to meet him.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
Several years I and several other GCAers (Pat Mucci, John Bernhardt, Mike Sweeney, Bill Steele, Mark Rowlinson, Geoff Childs I think) played at the Creek Club on Long Island in an autism charity event.  It was really good, great McD/Raynor course, followed by steak and lobster dinner at their beach club.  Couldn't have been any better.

Bill - The Creek Club outing was a fantastic event... and what a dinner!!! This is where I met most of you guys for the first time!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

ChipRoyce

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »

Bill - The Creek Club outing was a fantastic event... and what a dinner!!! This is where I met most of you guys for the first time!
[/quote]

Is this happening any more? I seem to remember that it may have been discontinued after last year.

Brian Potash

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »
On the MGA website - http://www.mgagolf.org/

they have a charity event section.  I rember last year there was an event where you could play either Creek or Piping Rock on the same day.  Not sure what the charity was.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
Myopia does do about 8 of these in April/early May and in October.  Some are local, some are more general, like Special Olympics...etc.  North Shore Golf Magazine (just google it) usually has a list of the N. Shore charity outings each year...including Essex, Myopia, Salem CC, Tedesco, Kernwood, Ipswich CC.

I know some GCAers have played in a couple of the Myopia ones in the past...I probably met a few of you while collecting double-your-$$ on the 9th tee in 2004.  Not a bad spot to spend 5 hours as an employee.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
On the MGA website - http://www.mgagolf.org/

they have a charity event section.  I rember last year there was an event where you could play either Creek or Piping Rock on the same day.  Not sure what the charity was.
There are numerous outings at Creek and Piping Rock. Try http://www.afpli.org
Be the ball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back