News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

Re: Best Charity Outings
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

Thats a great resource.  I wonder if there is something like that that compiles all the events for westchester?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »
Several years I and several other GCAers (Pat Mucci, John Bernhardt, Mike Sweeney, Bill Steele, Mark Rowlinson, Geoff Childs I think) played at the Creek Club on Long Island in an autism charity event.  It was really good, great McD/Raynor course, followed by steak and lobster dinner at their beach club.  Couldn't have been any better.

Bill - The Creek Club outing was a fantastic event... and what a dinner!!! This is where I met most of you guys for the first time!

That's when Bernhardt and I took our lives into our hands and rented a car, picking you up in New York en route to Yale.  Thank god that was on a Sunday morning!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
The First Tee Foundation, often in conjunction with the local organization, has annual fundraisers. I was able to play Oakmont (flying from Oregon) thru the WPGA/First Tee aegis. Another local organization/charity cosponsorship worth looking into is the Evans Scholarship.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

Thats a great resource.  I wonder if there is something like that that compiles all the events for westchester?
I found that website by googling LI golf outings a few years ago so you might try the same. Also the LI list is added to every 2 weeks or so. There will be many more than there is on it now. It;s the only way I've been able to play Creek, PR, Meadowbrook, Deepdale, Fresh Meadow and several others.
Be the ball

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Merion did hosts a Boy Scouts Charity outing each year.
I would imagine they still do ...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Several years I and several other GCAers (Pat Mucci, John Bernhardt, Mike Sweeney, Bill Steele, Mark Rowlinson, Geoff Childs I think) played at the Creek Club on Long Island in an autism charity event.  It was really good, great McD/Raynor course, followed by steak and lobster dinner at their beach club.  Couldn't have been any better.

Bill - The Creek Club outing was a fantastic event... and what a dinner!!! This is where I met most of you guys for the first time!

That's when Bernhardt and I took our lives into our hands and rented a car, picking you up in New York en route to Yale.  Thank god that was on a Sunday morning!

Exactly!!! I never will forget my wife's comment when I told her about my plans... "Let me see if I've got this straight... you are riding from Manhattan to Connecticut with a guy from Louisiana and a guy from Florida to play golf at Yale on an invitation from a guy in NYC?" "Yes, darling," I said. "Oh," she replied, "this must be one of those Golf Club Atlas things."

Little did she know what was in store, huh, Bill?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brian Potash

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
While we are debating the top 100 list, I see that charity outings at maidstone and sleepy hollow have been added to the mga site.

Brian

http://www.mgagolf.org/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:39 PM »
Bonnie Brae of NJ does a very nice full day at Plainfield every September. Usually this has found the course in its best shape and most beautiful. I don't remember the exact prices, but recall it was eminently reasonable and quite enjoyable.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »

Exactly!!! I never will forget my wife's comment when I told her about my plans... "Let me see if I've got this straight... you are riding from Manhattan to Connecticut with a guy from Louisiana and a guy from Florida to play golf at Yale on an invitation from a guy in NYC?" "Yes, darling," I said. "Oh," she replied, "this must be one of those Golf Club Atlas things."

Little did she know what was in store, huh, Bill?

We have been on some good trips, podna!  ;D  I relish the memory of our Buda match last summer against those studs, Andrew Mitchell and Lloyd Cole.  Except for the 18th hole.  :)  But halving a match with those guys was still pretty sweet.

George Freeman

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
While we are debating the top 100 list, I see that charity outings at maidstone and sleepy hollow have been added to the mga site.

Brian

Is there a similar association in the Chicago area that lists the charity events for the year?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

J_ Crisham

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
George,  I have not seen one but the likely source could be the CDGA.
                         Good luck,      Jack

Brad Swanson

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »
A now infrequent GCA poster used to purchase the first 4 some of the day at one of these charity outings on the East End of Long Island and generously offered a few of the spots to willing GCAers.  Since that round was guaranteed to be completed in a timely fashion, the afternoon was open for a second course at any number of nearby possibilities.  I thank my lucky stars I got a chance to partake in what was maybe the last year of this tradition several years back, and am eternally grateful to my host for the most memorable day I've ever had on the links. 

Cheers,
Brad

Neil Regan

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »

Brad,

That was a fine day indeed.
  Maidstone #9 is still at the top of my lists of the best holes anywhere.
  And your wedge to Shinnecock #10 green showed us what was to come the following June, iirc.  ;)

Neil

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:37:49 AM by Neil Regan »
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Brad Swanson

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
Love the pics, Neil.  Fortunately for me, Ben was the unlucky one on 10.  His approach came up a yard or 2 short and rolled back to where he is standing in the picture.  Seeing that didn't make my flip SW approach any easier, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Brad

Neil Regan

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
Brad, my memory is better now. But did Ben then putt off the green after making too sure his next was above the pin ?
(Even if that didn't happen, it wouldn't have surprised me. I'm not sure "unlucky" is the best word in this case.  :) )

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mark Smolens

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
George,  I have not seen one but the likely source could be the CDGA.
                         Good luck,      Jack

George, although it's not a comprehensive list, the CDGA's Sunshine through Golf Foundation has several outings at private clubs that you may not have access to.  http://www.sunshinethroughgolf.org/event.asp?id=46

They are very reasonably priced, and the Foundation does great work with getting kids with "disabilities" involved in the game.  You may have seen their three hole course next to the CDGA's offices across the street from Cog Hill.  When I was toting a friend's bag in the last Western Open, we played those holes with three kids from the Foundation.  Great fun for us (and hopefully for the kids too).  Hard to keep those allergies from acting up while you're out there with the kids and their parents. . .  Glad I had the sunglasses on.

hick

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »
  The Cluny School in Newport, Rhode Island has a golf outing at Newport CC on the 23 of april at 250 a person along with breakfast, lunch and a dinner buffet as well as a cash bar. This is the 15 annual .

Joe Bausch

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
Coming up is an outing at Pine Hill organized by a colleague of mine that lost his young wife to breast cancer about four years ago.  I'd be thrilled if any of you would like to join us.  Here are the details below.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Hendren

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
As an adoptive parent, it's been my pleasure to serve on the board of Miriam's Promise, a family services and adoption agency here in Nashville.  I chaired the golf fund-raiser a couple of times in its infancy, but an 84 years young female member of our board has taken the event to a new level.  It is held at a second tier private club in the Nashville area and there are no entry fees.  Scoring prizes are modest and donated.  The participants take pledges with prizes based upon certain levels being achieved.  Very few people accept their prizes anymore.  Over 90% of the funds flow to the bottom line, which has approximated $150,000 annually over the past few years.  It is easily the most joyous event one will play in and is not uncommon for a four person scramble team to not break 80. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Potash

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
We are still a few months away but the attached list has some really good venues for charity golf outings on long island this season.

http://www.afpli.org/imgafp/File/cal011910(2).pdf

Of note - Deepdale, Creek, Engineers

Also from the MGA website- The Westchester Caddie Scholarship outing is at Century this year.  I think thats a course not too many have the opportunity to play.  Last year I played in the event at Sleepy Hollow and it was a lot of fun and very well run.  No competition at all just play your own ball.

Brian

Ron Csigo

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Thanks for posting Brian.  I've heard that the Steak/Lobster event at the Creek Club is superb.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
Thanks, Brian for bumping this great thread.  I just looked this morning to see what the MGA site has posted thus far for 2010.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
There is a great event that will be posted on MGA in the near future held at Maidstone on May 26th to benefit the East Hampton Neighborhood House.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
Thanks for posting Brian.  I've heard that the Steak/Lobster event at the Creek Club is superb.

My son's old school still has it at The Creek, this year on August 16th:

http://www.slcd.org/news/news_default.asp

We are typically away that week, but it is by far the best outing that I ever attended.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »

My son's old school still has it at The Creek, this year on August 16th:

http://www.slcd.org/news/news_default.asp

We are typically away that week, but it is by far the best outing that I ever attended.
I've played in this several times. It is top notch.
Be the ball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back