News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

A Fathers dream or curse
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:26:54 PM »
I think most of us dream of one of our children playing college golf or maybe more. I have the good fortune to have one very wonderful daughter. She had the patience as a little girl to travel all over the world watching me play golf and playing maybe a hole or two a round herself. She has not played a round of golf in 6 years. Katie asked me for new clubs for Christmas so we could start playing together. While sitting in class talking to a golfer on her University team about learning to play again. It came up the team was a player short. Well 2 weeks later I am about to watch my daughter play in her first collegiate tournament on Monday. I hope she has a great time and enjoys the experience. I am sure I will love it water balls and all.  Sun Belt Confernce golf here I come. cheers Tiger

Garland Bayley

Re: A Fathers dream or curse
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:30:20 PM »
Here's hoping there is a real tigress stalking the fairways of the sun belt conf.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
Congratulations.  Same situation for me...Our oldest daughter announced her intentions to play for me (coach) on our girls high school team this Spring.  After taking her to the dome for a few sessions, it became apparent that I might be her coach, but I could not be her teacher.  I enlisted the aid of Tonawanda's finest, John Lindner, to teach her and the improvement in one session was remarkable.  It ought to be a fun Spring but who ever knows?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:51:39 PM »
Tiger, good for you to follow.  I loved when my dad was able to see me play in a college tournament.  I never knew where he was (didn't want to spook me....but I wouldn't have cared anyway) but could tell me every shot I hit.  I think he would climb the trees w/ his binoculars  :D

We weren't very good, my 2 years of college golf were probably the worst 2 years of golf I ever played, but having family there was great.  Keep us updated.

Clint

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
John,

Not many people know that she postponed growing up to care for you during your  darkest hours. I cannot imagine how happy you are in her quest to play on the team.

Leslie and I send our love to Katie.

Bob

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »
Any conference that has the Lady Toppers is okay in my book. Live vicariously.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
It takes a lot of motivation, effort, and skill to play golf on the college level. It take the same amount of support from others as well.

Congrats...please let us know how she does!
H.P.S.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »
I think most of us dream of one of our children playing college golf or maybe more. I have the good fortune to have one very wonderful daughter. She had the patience as a little girl to travel all over the world watching me play golf and playing maybe a hole or two a round herself. She has not played a round of golf in 6 years. Katie asked me for new clubs for Christmas so we could start playing together. While sitting in class talking to a golfer on her University team about learning to play again. It came up the team was a player short. Well 2 weeks later I am about to watch my daughter play in her first collegiate tournament on Monday. I hope she has a great time and enjoys the experience. I am sure I will love it water balls and all.  Sun Belt Confernce golf here I come. cheers Tiger

John:
Speaking as one who has a daughter who played college golf enjoy the experience.  It is simply fantastic and definitely a dream and not a curse.
Best to your daughter and her team.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »
very cool Tiger....my oldest plays and playing a round with her is SO much fun!

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
Congrats John...hope you have a blast today!

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
My two girls, aged 6 and 8 have clubs and I hope that they take up the game and stay with it(they enjoy it so far).

Best of luck to your daughter.  Let us know how it goes.
Steve Pozaric

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
Good stuff Tiger, as long as Santa Clara isn't in the field, I am sure she will do well ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »
Go Katie - that is great news.  She is making you a proud papa, Tiger!  I know you will be throwing up nervous but having a great time.  Have fun!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
Thank you guys very much. It was as much fun as a Dad could have. I am also very proud of her too. As one might imagine after 6 years away from the game, she was not competitive by any definition.  Katie had the character to play hard for 54 holes and enjoy the experience. I was made an assistant or associate coach so I could walk with her and help out. Unfortunately for her the rules prohibited me from raking traps. lol next stop Little Rock

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:43 AM »
Are you able to think about the architecture at all when you're on the course? 

Good luck to your daughter (and you) as she gets rid of 6 years of rust on the game.  Wow, that's a long time off.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
  Katie had the character to play hard for 54 holes and enjoy the experience.

A worthy accomplishment achieved by few!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
Tiger --

Good for Katie. Good for you.

Perhaps we'll meet in the rough somewhere. My younger daughter will be off to college (and someone's D-III golf team; three schools are still in the running) next fall.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back