News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

2009 Carnegie Shield
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
I just received my letter indicating my application to play in the Shield was successful.  Did anybody else hear from the club?
Wishing all applicants good luck.
Steve

Rich Goodale

Re: 2009 Carnegie Shield
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Steve

I got in too, but so did everybody who applied. ;)  There was no ballot this year and there may still be some spaces available, if anybody in interested.  Obviously this is a sign of the times, but before anybody panics, the Shield wasn't fully subscribed until the mid-90's or so.  Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

See you in August

Rich

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Steve

I got in too, but so did everybody who applied. ;)  There was no ballot this year and there may still be some spaces available, if anybody in interested.  Obviously this is a sign of the times, but before anybody panics, the Shield wasn't fully subscribed until the mid-90's or so.  Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

See you in August

Rich

Rich,

Is the reigning champion entered?

Bob

AndrewB

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

A little bird told me that he is.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
Steve

See you in August

Rich

Rich,

Bob

I'll take Andrew's word for it.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
Sorry for going a little off-topic, but there is an article in today's Press & Journal ("Tourism boom amid the gloom") implying there might actually be an uptick in tourism in the Scottish Highlands this summer. It looks like, with the pound weak vs. the euro, more Brits will vacation this summer within the UK, rather than head for the beaches of Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.

It remains to be seen whether this will make up for the expected drop-off in American golfers not making it over to GB&I this summer.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1107451/   

Walter Bart

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
I'm in also in the higher Hcp grouping  - Fraser Cup.  Hoping to see some of you there .

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:19:07 AM »
Sorry for going a little off-topic, but there is an article in today's Press & Journal ("Tourism boom amid the gloom") implying there might actually be an uptick in tourism in the Scottish Highlands this summer. It looks like, with the pound weak vs. the euro, more Brits will vacation this summer within the UK, rather than head for the beaches of Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.

It remains to be seen whether this will make up for the expected drop-off in American golfers not making it over to GB&I this summer.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1107451/   

I wonder how much of a drop off there will be.  I am thinking of going back this summer if I can work it in my schedule because the exchange rate is a hell of a lot better than it has been, flights are cheaper, and probably the B&Bs will be cheaper too.  Maybe TOC will suspend its yearly price increase for once if we're really lucky ;)

If when I got over I got to play more with the locals than fellow Americans, all the better...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:43:25 AM »
Doug S. -

I know Royal Dornoch has not raised its visitor green fee for 2009. I believe  visitor greens fees for TOC and the rest of the St. Andrews courses are staying at last year's levels as well.

With the pound now at $1.40-$1.50, that makes golf in the UK a good deal less expensive than last summer's $1.95-$2.05.

DT

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »
I just received my letter indicating my application to play in the Shield was successful.  Did anybody else hear from the club?
Wishing all applicants good luck.
Steve

Good Luck Steve. Would you mind refreshing my memory on the format for the Shield ?

Thanks

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
I too got in the Higher Handicap section.  Hope to see everyone.  Sounds like a great time.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:56:17 AM »
Two rounds of stroke play qualifying and then Match play in scratch, low handicap and higher handicap brackets of 32.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back