News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

True North open to the public this season
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
 the course "welcomes public play and group outings...during the membership build up based on availability"
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

Re: True North open to the public this season
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
Wow...Harbor Springs is really far north!
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
Saw this one coming...

Unfortunately it was a terrible time to open a high end private club in northern Michigan.  It is a difficult prospect even in a good economy (i.e. Forest Dunes, Kingsley, etc.), and now that things are the way they are, the difficulty grows exponentially.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Paul,

True North has really always been availible for public play.  I played 2 or 3 years ago when it was supposedly private at a reasonable fee.  As for the course, I liked it alot more than I believe others have.  Big elevation changes, large undulating greens, and a controversial 18th hole with an option to reach the green in 2 by driving to a small elevated langing area in the left fairway to make the route much shorter.  I always thought of it as a version of the MacKenzie Country Life competition hole - I liked the hole and just missed getting the green in two taking the shorter route.  However, I have only played the course once and if you look at the aerial of the 18th hole it appears that if one takes the conservative route the landing area does not have a lot of width compared to the shorter route.

Course hole aerials are availible on the website here:

http://truenorthgolf.com/course_layout.html

Chris

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »
The course is definitely unique.  It's the only Jim Engh I have played, and it is unlike anything else I've come across...Jim's courses seem to be a very artistic take on golf architecture (as I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum on here).  Some people love it, some people hate it. 

It is a very severe course:  It has a high slope which equates to death if you're not on with the driver (which unfortunately I was not when I played and got eaten alive; I think it was my highest round of the summer).

As for the 18th hole:
The landing area on the drive is not to small as Chris had mentioned.  This is because the effective landing area spans from the left fairway island, down across the rough and cart path that splits them, and includes the right landing zone (see pic below).  When I tried to play to the left fairway, I over-cooked a fade (ok...I sliced it) and my ball ended landing on the rough between the fairways and kicking down to the lower fairway. 

The issue with the hole comes on the third shot of players that have taken the long route to the hole.  If you do not get to the very end of the fairway (probably the last 30-50 yds, which can be a long shot if you're not long off the tee), you have trouble with the three or four tall trees acting as multiple sets of goal posts between you and the hole.  Depending on where the trees are in relation to your line of play, you may or may not have a angle into the green (which plays severly uphill from the second shot landing zone).  I ended up having to punch a gap wedge between two trees and up onto the green.  It was a fun shot, but it isn't for everyone...

It's definitely an interesting hole...

Here is an aerial from the website

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

David Neveux

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
I liked this course, although no shocker that they haven't filled the membership ::)  The elevation changes are no joke, and the course was a lot of fun.  It's tough to judge after one play, and hopefully I can get another crack this summer. 

I also thought it was quite challenging, but not nearly as severe as George thinks.  If you are not controlling your tee shot on 95% of Northern MI tree lined golf courses, your in for A LONG DAY, PERIOD. 

In regards to the 18th, I was not a big fan.  One, from the back tee I felt the left FW option was highly un-doable without the command of a big hook.  The angle made it really tough, and without trying to play a big hook the trees directly off the tee box were in play.  I also felt like the actual LZ left was semi-blind.  As George points out, the lay-up is really do or die.  You have to be at the end of the fairway to have a clean look at the green, which again like he points off can require a long shot, maybe even a FW medal for some who aren't long or mis-hit there tee ball. 

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
George,

Others that have played the course have commented to me that they did not like the width of the longer option initial landing area.  Also, juxstapsing the landing area on this course with the MacKenzie Country Life hole that was built at McCullough's Emerald links (another multiple route) hole I felt it was kind of small.  I do agree that the area is larger b/c the fairway on the shorter route is elevated and the rough (if I remember correctly) is cut lower thus the ball would roll off down to the lower - shorter route fairway.   Others I have talked also noted that the 2nd shot has to clear the last line of trees to have a view of the green.

Chris

Brian Cenci

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »
I did not like #18 either.  I actually made it up on the left tier (which is not easy) and even though I can't hit a 250 yard 3-wood decided to go for it and came up like 40 yards short.  But, the rough and grass was so beaten down that it turned out that was really the play.  Dave went the long way and you need to be so far down on the 2nd shot it's really stupid IMO.  Overall I did not like that particular hole.  I also was not a big fan of #3 as it was way to penalizing for a long long par 3.  Overall I thought the course was pretty good but as far as an Engh course I prefer Tullymore, Hawkree, Lokota Canyon and Redlands Mesa.  I'm not surprised it is going public.  With better private options within an hour-and-a-half (Kingsley, Forest Dunes) struggling to get full membership and a pletheray of good, yet affordable, public courses in the area it would seem they have problems getting membership.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
I know it's not fair to judge from a picture , but the hole above looks hideous, IMHO.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
The course is definitely unique.  It's the only Jim Engh I have played, and it is unlike anything else I've come across...Jim's courses seem to be a very artistic take on golf architecture (as I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum on here).  Some people love it, some people hate it. 

It is a very severe course:  It has a high slope which equates to death if you're not on with the driver (which unfortunately I was not when I played and got eaten alive; I think it was my highest round of the summer).

As for the 18th hole:
The landing area on the drive is not to small as Chris had mentioned.  This is because the effective landing area spans from the left fairway island, down across the rough and cart path that splits them, and includes the right landing zone (see pic below).  When I tried to play to the left fairway, I over-cooked a fade (ok...I sliced it) and my ball ended landing on the rough between the fairways and kicking down to the lower fairway. 

The issue with the hole comes on the third shot of players that have taken the long route to the hole.  If you do not get to the very end of the fairway (probably the last 30-50 yds, which can be a long shot if you're not long off the tee), you have trouble with the three or four tall trees acting as multiple sets of goal posts between you and the hole.  Depending on where the trees are in relation to your line of play, you may or may not have a angle into the green (which plays severly uphill from the second shot landing zone).  I ended up having to punch a gap wedge between two trees and up onto the green.  It was a fun shot, but it isn't for everyone...

It's definitely an interesting hole...

Here is an aerial from the website

I think the hole looks pretty cool, considering I have never been there. I would probably aim for the cartpath and if I end up pushing or pulling my drive, at least I would be in the fairway. If I hit it straight at least it will ride the path!
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »

I think the hole looks pretty cool, considering I have never been there. I would probably aim for the cartpath and if I end up pushing or pulling my drive, at least I would be in the fairway. If I hit it straight at least it will ride the path!

Pat I think that 'ride the path' play has gotta be THE PLAY, standing on this tee.  As you said, you can pull it or push it into the fairway from that target. 

Can you say 450 yard drive? ;D

Jim Thompson

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
Play Lochenheath, you'll have more fun!  I hope it opens again this year...
Cheers!

JT

Edit:  If you are going to be up in that neck of the woods, go play the local hideout Chestnut Valley, if its still open.  Nothing sexy, but good fun as well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:57:16 AM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back