News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Courses you appreciate more because of GCA
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
I just posted in one of the MPCC Composite threads that MPCC is perhaps #1 on my list of courses that I appreciate more because of GCA -- i.e., that I had heard of, but didn't realize how terrific they were.  That list is pretty long, but my top 5 are probably something like:

1.  MPCC
2.  Ballyneal
3.  Ridgewood
4.  Plainfield
5.  Cal Club

I haven't included any courses outside the U.S. because I don't know any of them well, and thus didn't really have any preconceptions about whether, for example, Walton Heath is a great course or not.

I'd be interested in other courses people thought they didn't fully appreciate until GCA.

Scott Warren

Re: Courses you appreciate more because of GCA
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
Every course I play is more interesting and enjoyable for the small amount of GCA knowledge some of the members of this site have helped me accrue.

The reason I love NSWGC now, for instance is vastly different, and IMO richer, than the adoration I had after my first few visits in my early teens.

A course like Deal I may well have completely missed much of the appeal of before I started to appreciate GCA.

Case in point: before GCA, I adored Bonville. Not been back, but I am fearful that when I do it won't be the same.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:39:54 AM by Scott Warren »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:06 AM »
Three I simply liked, but never really appreciated before coming to this site are:

Yahnundasis
Otesaga
Teugega

(Can you tell I'm from Central New York!)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
Probably many of the remote overseas golf courses which I had never heard of...many in Austrailia.

Also, the photo tours many on here have done have peaked my interest.
H.P.S.

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »
There are several courses that I used to be perfectly, obliviously,  happy playing. Now that I know so much about gca, my enjoyment of them is lessened, 'cause now I just see more and more things to not like.

So, can we ask if there are also courses you appreciate less because of GCA?

;)

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »
Though I have always liked the odd ball courses I think GCA may have made me more interested in how both natural hazards and bunkers are used.  Consequently I look at courses like Harlech, New Zealand, Huntercombe & Kington with fascination because they present the unexpected, but wholly sensible approach to design.  I may also have a greater appreciation gravity golf.  Though I grew up on hilly courses with sloping greens and bunkers whose placement was entirely predictable, these were not so much influenced by gravity.  Its wonderful to see a ball nearly good roll 40 yards away from the target, but its not such a common occurrence.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
Delaware Springs and Rockport Country Club.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
I certainly look at architecture more than I used to and I will remember good holes or features long after I have forgotten my awful golf. I also gain so much more insight playing with other GCA enthusiasts who point out this or that that I would not have noticed.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »
I'd also say that GCA makes me appreciate every golf course more.  I'd always been somewhat curious about how golf courses were designed, but discovering and becoming a participant in the proceedings at golfclubatlas.com has deepened my love for the game tremendously.

If I were to pick a single golf course that has gotten better in my eyes because of GCA, I'd have to say it's Gillette Ridge.  The first time I played it I hated it and thought it was tricked-up and unfair and all.  But upon further plays, while it sill has a couple fishy holes, I enjoy it as a whole and always look forward to playing it.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »
Without this website, I might have heard of, but would probably never have visited Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Dismal River Rustic Canyon, or Black Mesa, all of which are among my most-prized golf experiences.

Without other participants, I would never been granted access to MPCC-Shore, Riviera, Ballyneal, Victoria or El Niguel (!!!). Again, treasured memories.

My ongoing architectural education (via this discussion board and books recommended by its participants) has improved my appreciation of places like Stevinson Ranch while tempering my desire to visit places like Hawaii, Florida, and  Palm Springs (with the notable exception of Stone Eagle) for golfing purposes.

My GCA experiences certainly makes every round on great courses much more fun, though my course management isn't necessarily any more proficient for the effort.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Deucie Bies

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
North Berwick

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »
Fernandina...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
The Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach....
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Painswick..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »
Sheep Ranch
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
Lawsonia and Tobacco Road because I was not familiar with them, and likely would never have played them, thereby missing two very different gems.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:30:55 AM »
Every course I play is more interesting and enjoyable for the small amount of GCA knowledge some of the members of this site have helped me accrue.

The reason I love NSWGC now, for instance is vastly different, and IMO richer, than the adoration I had after my first few visits in my early teens.

Scott,

totally agree. I'd been a member of NSWGC about 5 years when I read my first GCA text, "The Golf Course" by Cornish & Whitten. Talk about the penny dropping, took 5 shots off my handicap over the next 6 months .
Might be an idea to read another some time  :D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:01:27 AM »
Terry

Just stand on the correct side of the ball - that should help  ;)

James Bennett

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:31:16 AM »
Yes  Painswick, and North Berwick West.  You know you have had the full GCA lobotomy when you 'fondly' remember Painswick.

Locally, a lesser course that I always enjoyed is perhaps more understandable GCA wise to me now.  Thaxted Park.  Its use of the stream/wash/barranca  (we call it a gully here in OZ) through the back nine makes for a lot of memorable holes despite very average soil and limited irrigation water.

A couple of local courses here in Adelaide which I used to enjoy, and now have limited desire to play.  Grange East and Victor Harbor.  Both have some short doglegs on some holes and both have varying degrees of excessive vegetative ingress, as well as a lack of acreage necessary for an optimal course.  Some things have been done to these courses to make them more 'difficult' but the effect to me is 'less enjoyable'.  That said, there are holes at both of these tracks that I really enjoy, probably more so than I did before.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
Without having reviewed the site threads, my experience at Tobacco Road would have been far less informed.

WW

Adam Russell

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
Palmetto Golf Club  ;D
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »
I played Forsgate a few times before "joining" here. I knew it was something special and different but I didn't know why. Now I do.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pat Burke

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »
There are several courses that I used to be perfectly, obliviously,  happy playing. Now that I know so much about gca, my enjoyment of them is lessened, 'cause now I just see more and more things to not like.

So, can we ask if there are also courses you appreciate less because of GCA?

;)

Funny, I've had the same experience since I began working on a golf course, first as an equipment operator, then moving up to asst to an unbelievable supt.
The experience helped my game in many ways, but seeing the little things that were missed at some courses absolutely grated on me.
Architecture wise, I was fortunate to learn the game in New Jersey, so I tend to measure the courses I play against all the great courses I was obscenely spoiled to grow up on. ::)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
Lincoln Park,
Jans National,
Lake Chabot 9 holer.

Just about any ratty, worn down, ill-maintained course that is full of quirk, unusual holes, and general uniquness despite its bad genes...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Lincoln Park,
Jans National,
Lake Chabot 9 holer.

Just about any ratty, worn down, ill-maintained course that is full of quirk, unusual holes, and general uniquness despite its bad genes...

cough..cough...err...emm...excuse me young man??

Aren't we forgetting something?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back