News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Architectural History in North America 1900 - 1915
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
Given the amount of discussion that has taken place on this site over the years I am sure this has been discussed before but ...  I would be interested to know which architecturally significant courses were built and who the important course designers were in the very early 20th century. 

Which courses - Chicago, NGLA, others?

Obviously CBM would be at the head of the list of designers but who were the others? 
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Architectural History in North America 1900 - 1915
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:34:33 PM »
Dale,

History certainly tells us that National Golf Links of America set a new standard for golf course design and construction in North America when it opened for play in the early part of the 20th century.

Harry Colt's 1910-11 layout at Toronto Golf Club (and a few years later, Hamilton) set a similar standard in Canada. Colt's work had a major influence on a young caddie at Toronto called, Stanley Thompson, and his older brother Nicol, who was long-time club professional at Hamilton and a pioneer golf course designer in the province of Ontario as well.

I once wrote that Stanley Thompson's Jasper Park layout (1924) was the first course of significant quality to be constructed west of the Mississippi River. This was a mistake, in retrospect. Here we go with Vernon Macan again (!), but his 1913 layout at Colwood, in Victoria, pre-dates every western course of sincere quality I can think of. Colwood definitely set THE standard for golf in the Pacific Northwest. Macan deserves credit for this.

Can anyone think of a truly good course built west of the Mississippi, prior to 1913? Keeping in mind as well that Macan's original design at Royal Colwood is pretty much intact today... routing and most greens, anyway. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:38:44 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
Dale,

Also, in what sense do you define a course as "architecturally significant?"

For example, Tilly's Shawnee was important but not significant as a design, yet it becomes extremely significant because it had such a major impact on his ability to become a seminal designer of the Golden Age.

His work at Brackenridge Park is another xample of this, as it came at a time when the ability for architects to travel East-to-West was far more difficult than North-to-South and led to Tilly garnering a great many important commissions in the mid-to-far West.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
Philip,

Speaking of golf west of the Mississippi River prior to World War II, which year was San Francisco Golf Club opened for play, 1915?
jeffmingay.com

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
I am beginning the research for Royal Colwood's 100 year history (1913).  As Jeff points out, Colwood is a very significant course in western North America.  I am trying to get a feel for its place in all of N.A.

The architect, AV Macan, used s set of principles similar to those other espoused - Mackenzie most famously.  I believe Colt also wrote of his principles and that all seem to flow from John Low (no poetry intended!)

The regional golf historian, Mike Riste believes Colwood may have been the first course built in NA using such a set of principles, although if Colt did Toronto and Hamilton just before that, some adjustment might be needed.

So far we have NGLA, Toronto and Hamilton.  What else folks?   :)
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
Dale,

I don't think it's accurate to say Royal Colwood was the first course in North America to be designed using a set of "principles". Macdonald had his "principles" as well (which really aren't much different than Macan's), while laying out NGLA; and, as you point out, Colt certainly did as well.

You're also correct that John Low's philosophies and writings were a major influence on many pioneer golf architects, including Macdonald, Colt and Macan... all three share a very similar philosophy and "principles", stemming from the example set by the Old Course, really.
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »
Seminal early courses in the US that were built or being built during that period;

Myopia Hunt
Garden City
Pinehurst
NGLA
Merion
Pine Valley

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
Old Elm in Chicago (buuilt 1913 opened 1914), a Colt Ross colloboration, set a new standard for architecture (and agronomy) in Chicago and set off a scramble among the established courses to "modernize" their courses.  As a result Mr. Ross was quite busy in Chicago in the teens.  In my study of Chicago courses, besides the original Chicago Golf Club, courses that really stand out from the earlier era are Glen View Club and Flossmoor.  CGC was completely revamped by Raynor in the 20's, and GVC and FCC received updates, but their core routings remain intact today. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Seminal early courses in the US that were built or being built during that period;

Myopia Hunt
Garden City
Pinehurst
NGLA
Merion
Pine Valley

You could add Ekwanok to that list...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »
Ally,

Agreed, fervently!

I'd place it between Myopia and Garden City chronologically.

Thanks!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
Philip,

Speaking of golf west of the Mississippi River prior to World War II, which year was San Francisco Golf Club opened for play, 1915?

Depends on which course.  The original SFGC was located over by the presidio.

Old Del Monte opened in 1897 so it may make your list.

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
Dale Jackson:

I agree with some of the posts above in that it may be an historical mistake in looking at the years 1900-1915 in North America to assign too much significance to Macdonald and/or NGLA.

The fact is Macdonald massively promoted his idea and himself during that time while others who created some really good architecture both before and after his NGLA just didn't do that.

For that reason alone some of the courses from that timeframe (1900-1915) probably didn’t get the degree of notoriety Macdonald and NGLA did.

I was reading one of the magazine’s own editorials from one of  the prominent golf magazines in the end of the first decade of the 20th century and there is no doubt that in their opinion at least, the man in America who was considered the most significant as a golfer, expert student and teacher of the game and expert on architecture was Walter Travis.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

I was reading one of the magazine’s own editorials from one of  the prominent golf magazines in the end of the first decade of the 20th century and there is no doubt that in their opinion at least, the man in America who was considered the most significant as a golfer, expert student and teacher of the game and expert on architecture was Walter Travis.

Tom,

Yes, and on my list of;

Myopia Hunt
Ekwanok
Garden City
Pinehurst
NGLA
Merion
Pine Valley

...Mr. Travis was involved directly or indirectly with 5 of them.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:58:09 PM by MikeCirba »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
Tom,

When did Travis' "infamous" remodel of Garden City take place? Wasn't it 1902, or thereabouts? This must have been a very significant event in the history of golf course archtiecture in the United States.

Re Macdonald, his overt self-promotion certainly lead to widespread info. and knowledge about the great courses overseas and the idea of "golf architecture" in general out to "the masses" for the first time, don't you think?

I'll never fault him for this contribution  :)  

Great point, Mike... re your list, and Travis being involved with five of those courses. Pretty cool.
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
Jeff,

Mr. Travis was also involved in the latter stages of construction at Cobb's Creek, which I find to be ULTRA cool.  ;D

If memory serves, most of his work at Garden City took place around 1906, which is why I have it sequenced in the order it is above.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
Mike,

I wonder if some of those odd shaped rear guard bunkers were Travis - where the sand cavity is up in the air?

mark chalfant

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »
Huntington Country Club, an excellent long island  course by Devereux Emmet, appeared c. 1912

Toronto Golf Club, 1914  by Colt is splendid

Somerset  Hills, 1917 by Tillinghast is historic, and has many excellent holes

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
Mike,

I wonder if some of those odd shaped rear guard bunkers were Travis - where the sand cavity is up in the air?

Bradley,

I'm not sure about those, which are quite unique in their own right, but most of us who have been involved in the historical research of the course are betting that Travis might have been around for the creation of this baby, which Geoff Walsh inspirationally dubbed the "Tie Fighter" green, ala Star Wars.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:47:00 PM by MikeCirba »

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
How about the Mayfield Club (Way, Barker) that opened in 1911 and whose intent was to “Beat Myopia”?

The par three 13th at Mayfield....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:31:50 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Lester George

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
Alex Findlay's 9 holes at the Greenbrier called "The Greatest Course in America", 1910

Lester

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
Dean,

How close is Mayfield today to what Barker and Way built?   

It doesn't seem to have nearly as much cache' these days and I'm wondering if something fundamental was lost or dramatically changed over time?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
Tom,

When did Travis' "infamous" remodel of Garden City take place? Wasn't it 1902, or thereabouts? This must have been a very significant event in the history of golf course archtiecture in the United States.

Re Macdonald, his overt self-promotion certainly lead to widespread info. and knowledge about the great courses overseas and the idea of "golf architecture" in general out to "the masses" for the first time, don't you think?

I'll never fault him for this contribution  :)  

Great point, Mike... re your list, and Travis being involved with five of those courses. Pretty cool.

Plus he had that putter thing over in England, right?  ;D

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »
Dean,

That hole at Mayfield looks kinda cool.

Bert Way was a pioneer golf course designer in the Midwest. Early courses at many old clubs in this region were originally laid-out by Way. His brother Ernest was head pro at Detroit Golf Club when Donald Ross was hired to layout 36 holes there about 1915. In fact, he may have supervised construction of both courses, at Detroit GC. Ernest Way also remodel the original Essex Co. Golf and Country Club course, across the river in Windsor, Ontario.
jeffmingay.com

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
Mike:

I don’t have a fundamental knowledge of Mayfield’s changes since it was built by Barker and Way in 1911.  However, in comparing today’s golf course to an aerial from 1952 on www.historicaerials.com, some of the things I noticed were:

- The routing seems to be essentially the same.
- Fairways are much narrower and “ribbon like” today.
- Some of the bunkering has changed, but not much.
- Looks like the 7th and 8th greens have been moved slightly.

Overall, it seems that not very much dramatic change has been implemented over the years.  I think it’s more about tastes of most golfers these days since Mayfield has multiple blind shots (only the first time played) and a total length of less than 7000 yards (Mayfield is around 6700 from the back tees).  For me, Mayfield is one of the best in the area and a round of golf there is one I always look forward to.

Jeff:

Thanks for the interesting info.  Way also did the Aurora Country Club which is a wonderful course here in NE Ohio.  Fixed up, it would be great.  Unfortunately, it is one of the courses in our area that is barely hanging on due the economy compounded with the overabundance of courses in the Cleveland area.

Also, below is an image from George Thomas’ “Golf Architecture in America” of Mayfield’s 13th hole, which is the second of back to back par threes, in its infancy.  I believe the image is on page 97.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »
Dean,

Is the 13th hole the one in the modern pic above, as well?

Mayfield does look pretty cool in both pics, honestly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back