News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

A shelter at Atlantic GC comes to mind.

It's cut into a dune/mound, completely hidden from play and appearing as a natural feature on the golf course. 

From the non-playing side, it has an full entance and is easily accessible.

The only negative is that it's so well incorporated into the architecture that an unaccompanied guest would never know it's there.

What other courses hide or blend their shelters to the degree that they're indistinguishable from the rest of the golf course ?

K. Krahenbuhl

Portrush has some fantastic examples of these.

J_ Crisham

Pat,             Doonbeg has shelters that are quite similar to what one would find at Portrush. The most memorable at Portrush is adjacent to the Calamity hole,#14.  I also recall seeing one at Lahinch that some caddies alledgedly sleep in overnite. These are all buried in a dune .          Jack

James Bennett

Pro Shop at North Berwick West.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

Pro Shop at North Berwick West.

James B

The one thing, the absolutely ONE thing, you don't want to do off the 18th tee is to get a bit worried about the OB right and duck hook one into the hole behind the pro shop on #18 at North Berwick.

Don't ask me how I know.......... :(

Bill_McBride

A shelter at Atlantic GC comes to mind.

It's cut into a dune/mound, completely hidden from play and appearing as a natural feature on the golf course. 

From the non-playing side, it has an full entance and is easily accessible.

The only negative is that it's so well incorporated into the architecture that an unaccompanied guest would never know it's there.

What other courses hide or blend their shelters to the degree that they're indistinguishable from the rest of the golf course ?

I like the way the little half way house is built into the hillside between the 4th and 13th greens at Pacific Dunes.

Ian Andrew

Nothing beats the old trees used at Capilano

Sean_A

Kyle is right.  The shelters built into the dunes at Portrush are superb.  My only thought about seeing a handful of these things was how bad does the weather get?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

I played Burntisland on Sunday.  They have a couple of shelters which consist of old fishing boats buried upright into the turf.  I've only been in the one near the 3rd tee, but then only because I was waiting to play the long par-3, but it and the others are cool and very much blended into the cultural landscape.

Rob_Waldron

Have you ever noticed the shelters at ANGC? No you say...then i guess they are pretty good!

Bill Gayne

I think this is the shelter on the tenth hole at Doonbeg.

Chuck Brown

Have you ever noticed the shelters at ANGC? No you say...then i guess they are pretty good!
Hmmm.... Behind 12 tee?  Behind 13 green?  To the left of the members tees at 11 back in the woods?

C. Sturges

The club house at Nanae.  The bathrooms at the Straights course.

Carl Rogers

Are there any shelters of this type at Bandon or Sand Hills?

The opposite view would be some strikingly contrasting structures that might create an interesting contrast on some fairly non-descript golfing ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back