News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Cirba

Ring My Bell
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
A great feature on a number of courses I grew up playing was simply, "The Bell".

The Bell was located in blind hollows, and were to be rung as players were leaving that area to let the group behind know that all was clear.

The first Bell hole I ever played was the 6th at Scranton Municipal course, a James Harrison/Fred Garbin design, where one drove over a blind ledge to a blind landing area on a midlength par four.    Near the bottom of the hill, one would need to ring a bell once approach shots were played and golfers moved out of range.

Years later another was installed on the par four 14th, which had a similar blind landing area.

A great one I played some time later was the short, blind, downhill par four 6th hole (must be something about 6th holes!) at Wilkes Barre Municipal by Geoffrey Cornish/William Robinson, where golfers would often wait til they left the green and were on their way to the 7th tee, as the hole was just over 300 yards and driveable under the right 1970s conditions.

The recent Pete Dye GC thread got me thinking about them, and wondering why this feature is so rarely used these days.   From that thread, this wonderful picture;

So, does anyone have other examples of existing Bells?  Other devices which help alert players of when they can safely hit, like big mirrors up in trees?

Where did these devices go?   Have they been litigated out of use?

They certainly had a charm to them. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:12:25 AM by MikeCirba »

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Ring My Bell
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:15:18 AM »
Mike,
There are several course I play that have bells, mirrors, periscopes, and even one that uses cameras and monitors on a couple of holes.

I don't think we see the same willingness to create, or leave, blind situations on today's courses so their decline is inevitable.

....and none of them are as safe as going forward to have a look.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Old Marsh Golf Club in Palm Beach Gardens, FL also a Pete Dye design, has the exact same bell located behind the 5th green. The 5th green is blocked by a massive, 18-20 foot mound of turfgrass and pot bunkers. Old Marsh opened prior to Pete Dye GC.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dale Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
How about periscopes taken from submarines.  Here is what the starter at Elie uses to see if the (blind) first hole is clear.

I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
Tobacco Road has about 4 bell holes if I remember correctly...

Obvious liability concerns are the modern architecture/design reason. 

It is those damn lawyers impeding our fun again!   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »

Mike

Bells abound in Scotland.  There are two at my home course (Aberdour) and several at Mackenzie's Pitreavie.  The coolest one I have seen is the one at the 15th at Cruden Bay.  The bell is high up the slope of the hill you must hit over, and is rung by pulling a 50 yards or so rope at the edge of the green.  I know the hole is being remodeled.  Hopefully they'll keep the bell.....

Rich

TX Golf

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Sorry to jump off topic..... but considering the title of this thread I had to do it.

Ring my Bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhoUMOCuyc
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:00:48 PM by Robert Warren »

TX Golf

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
And a more appropriate and on topic post....

The 5th at Prestwick

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »
Off the top of my head I know there is a periscope on #13 at Waterwood National and on a hole at The Elks Club in Shawnee, Oklahoma.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Old Marsh Golf Club in Palm Beach Gardens, FL also a Pete Dye design, has the exact same bell located behind the 5th green. The 5th green is blocked by a massive, 18-20 foot mound of turfgrass and pot bunkers. Old Marsh opened prior to Pete Dye GC.

Anthony,

That bell is dedicated to Pete's dad.

The 3rd at NGLA has a bell, donated by, and in memory of Joe McBride

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »

Anthony,

That bell is dedicated to Pete's dad.

The 3rd at NGLA has a bell, donated by, and in memory of Joe McBride

Pat,
  The bell at PDGC appears to be dedicated to him, as well.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

CJ Carder

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 02:58:28 PM »
Tobacco Road has about 4 bell holes if I remember correctly...

Obvious liability concerns are the modern architecture/design reason. 

It is those damn lawyers impeding our fun again!   ;D

There's a bell hole on #14 at Stonehouse - another Strantz course. 

Mike Wagner

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
Erin Hills

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
There's a periscope on the 1st hole of Simsbury Farms, the pretty good Cornish muni in Simsbury, CT, that I grew up playing.  The 1st has an abrupt drop before the LZ, making the tee shot blind.  As a result, people would congregate near the periscope to check to see whether prior groups had cleared.

My current course, Bethesda CC in Bethesda, MD, has a mirror and a bell on the very blind 8th hole and a red/light switch on the fairly blind 10th.  It used to have a bell on the semi-blind 15th, but that seems to have disappeared.

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
Mike, one of my favorite hidden gems is Blueberry Hill in Warren, PA, also by Harrison and Garbin. It has a bell on both the opening and closing holes. A really good course in the middle of nowhere.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
Gleneagles has one on the Kings course, maybe the 2nd or 3rd hole.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
Gleneagles has one on the Kings course, maybe the 2nd or 3rd hole.

3rd hole, by the green. 

Also, Stonebridge in Monroe, NC has a bell on the 4th, to be rung after clearing the strong dog-leg right. 

JeffTodd

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »
#3 and #12 at Yale both have bells behind the greens iirc.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
The Presidio GC in San Francisco has two par-4 holes with mirrors mounted on tall poles (behind the tee boxes) to see if the landing area for blind tee shots has cleared. They did install a bell on one of the holes, but, after it got stolen a couple of times, they gave up on that.

#11 at Tain (the par-4 locals call "Dolly Parton") has a bell to ring when clearing the green.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:04:10 PM by David_Tepper »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Pendleton County CC [KY] has two cases of a bell. #10, and I misremember the other. Both, of course, to allow safety on blind shots.

Pipestone in Ohio has a Red/Green light which you switch red after your second, then green after you clear for the folks behind. I remember it well because it was on green, so I hit, and someone came angrily back at me. When I pointed out the green light he just cussed some more and left, apparently telling the people at the clubhouse that we hit into them, without 'the rest of the story'. Hopefully he broke his ankle stomping around!  ::)

Useful equipment, obviously, but not for those who insist on 'having the course in front of you'.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
Mike,
I am so well chuffed you brought this up.

I HATE BELLS!

We have no less than 5 on Balbirnie and I loathe having to walk to them to ring them, hate having to say to playing partners that since they happen to be on that side of the fairway to be sure to ring them and especially hate that when I or a member of our foursome forgets to ring the damn thing, someone from the following group will give me the glower of disgust that we dared to forget.

I HATE BELLS!

Architects who design golf courses in this day and age which require bells, deserve to be ritually disembowelled and have their guts hung from the damn bells they needlessly create.

luv,
FBD.

PS Did I mention that I hate bells?
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
A pox upon you, O Michaelus of the Cirbaen tribe,
for you dotheth hath maketh me thinketh too much upon the great bellatian conundrum.

Eh? Someone please take away this glass of Jura...

But then again. Bells? What is thee mosteth famouseth course which is despoiled by the installation of an extraneous campanological presence. TOC, for all its' blindness is bell-free, there ain't one on CPC as I recall. PV, I think, is a bell-free sandy-zone. Is ANGC with all its humps and hollows a health and safety investigators nightmare?

Enquiring minds...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »
Martin,

On that note, I'm going to go down to the cellar and open a bottle of Zinfadel and hopefully in a few hours I'll better understand your perspective.   ;)  ;D

Peter Nomm

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
We (Minocqua CC - WI) had a bell after the original blind 9th green.

When the course was re-built in 2000 by Ron Garl, and the new green being visible, we moved the bell between the 18th green and the golf shop.  So now members ring the bell when their round is complete.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
At least three courses in Cinci have bells. Maketewah #s 10 and 17, Miami View #12, and Glen View #16.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back