News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

Re: Jay Flemma interviews author Tom Coyne- "A Course Called Ireland"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »
Nice article, Jay.  Hope you are well.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »

I have been on this site for 5 months. I miss ay Flemma.

Anthony

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »
JF: And how about some of your favorite in the U.S.?

TC: I enjoy the golf course at Glenn Mills outside Philadelphia, a Bobby Weed design, really fun golf course across some wild terrain, and Cobbs Creek is an oft-maligned course in Philadelphia that was once a world-class PGA Tour-caliber track. It hasn't been in great shape for I don't know how many decades, and a friend was once mugged while playing it (finished his match and won one-up), but it has the bones of a classic East Coast turn-of-the-century track. Home to some of the first great black golf professionals as well, it's a historically significant place.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:24:14 AM »
 I wish I had seen this topic before last night's book signing. I would have loved to have discussed Jay with Tom.
AKA Mayday

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
Anthony,
What do you miss more, his 65 word sentences or his ability to cram 45 adjectives into same.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »
Has Coyne played the sand hills or Oregon coast? 

It seems that meeting the people along the journey is very important to the story.  I think he'd like the sand hills in that regard, if he spent some time there.  Of course, Nebraska-CO doesn't have nearly the number of interesting courses to hike to, and the distances are way wider...  ;D

I think I'll have to spring for Mr. Coyne's book.  In looking at his book signing tour and 'pub crawl', the man certainly knows where the most likely place is to find his literate Irish brothers.  Nothing would beat the odysey of his epic Irish golf journey, but the pub crawl might be a good subsitute.  ;D 8) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »

Has anyone read the book yet? It seems like a fine idea and you have to admire his tenacity and energy in seeing it through.  But, I followed his contemporaneous blog for awhile and it seemed like he was getting a little tetchy and tired by the time he’d hit the north, and he still had along way to go.   I was thinking of starting a thread asking why Ireland had not produced  interesting golf books as (visitors to) Scotland has.  Is this as good as even A Season in Dornoch or To the Linksland?

I must say the interview causes me further doubts and Ill wait for a discount copy to become available.

JF: What do you stress most to your students about good writing and what distinguishes a merely pretty good writer from a truly great one?

TC: Specificity of detail is what I stress most to the students.

Then

TC: ...
The best course design in Ireland was the least course design in Ireland. Royal County Down was laid out in two days by Tom Morris, no bulldozers required.

It maybe a good story to hear in a bar but he does need to check more facts if he’s to avoid over generalising and sentimentalising this aspect of Irish history.   (See http://www.golfclubatlas.com/rcd1.html  for a more detailed account of RCD’s evolution).

Has anyone read An Emerald Odyssey by Paul Zingg?  It would be interesting to get another take on this. Published last year it seemed to get no publicity whatsoever.  It has a broad sweep from golfing gods in Ireland to Pat Ruddy and a chapter urging you to love the Irish rain, it deserves more attention.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:42:52 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
Tony:

Its a fun and quick read.  As in Paper Tiger, Tom uses golf (and in this instance the journey itself) as a vehicle to explore other themes.  It is very definitely written from the perspective of the Irish American who wants to understand the Ireland underneath postcards and Riverdance. I will be very curious to hear the Irish perspective (I am trying to get my father, a Dub, to give it a go).  For Eddie Hackett fans, Tom is not shy about expressing his admiration and discussing how much the man meant to golf in Ireland.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »

Has anyone read the book yet? It seems like a fine idea and you have to admire his tenacity and energy in seeing it through.  But, I followed his contemporaneous blog for awhile and it seemed like he was getting a little tetchy and tired by the time he’d hit the north, and he still had along way to go.   I was thinking of starting a thread asking why Ireland had not produced  interesting golf books as (visitors to) Scotland has.  Is this as good as even A Season in Dornoch or To the Linksland?

I must say the interview causes me further doubts and Ill wait for a discount copy to become available.

JF: What do you stress most to your students about good writing and what distinguishes a merely pretty good writer from a truly great one?

TC: Specificity of detail is what I stress most to the students.

Then

TC: ...
The best course design in Ireland was the least course design in Ireland. Royal County Down was laid out in two days by Tom Morris, no bulldozers required.

It maybe a good story to hear in a bar but he does need to check more facts if he’s to avoid over generalising and sentimentalising this aspect of Irish history.   (See http://www.golfclubatlas.com/rcd1.html  for a more detailed account of RCD’s evolution).

Has anyone read An Emerald Odyssey by Paul Zingg?  It would be interesting to get another take on this. Published last year it seemed to get no publicity whatsoever.  It has a broad sweep from golfing gods in Ireland to Pat Ruddy and a chapter urging you to love the Irish rain, it deserves more attention.

Tony

He was sloppy too about Waterville and its "100 year history."  I did, however, read some of his stuff last year when chapters were posted on the internet, and his writing is above average for this sort of thing.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back