News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

McCloskey

TEPaul

Oh yes, definitely. Projects of all shapes and forms are being cancelled and/or put on hold all over the map. Work is drying up except in special cases like with me. In the last six months I've gotten over a 100 calls to do projects and from clients all over the place.

My call quantity has increased about ten fold in that six months period. Did I hear you ask why that would be in this horrible economic climate?

The reason for it is because I've told everyone that I am one of those "amateur/sportsmen" like Leeds, Fownes, Macdonald, Wilson, Crump, Thomas et al and because I am I will do it for free.

So I have over a hundred projects to choose from but I probably won't do any of them. But if I do I will be an honest guy like those mentioned above and I'll be sure to tell any client of mine that they are sure to get what they pay for.

Jeff_Brauer

There have  been layoffs all over the map, as I understand it.  Heck, I even fired myself three times last week, but luckily, I hired myself back each time.  whew!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

There have  been layoffs all over the map, as I understand it.  Heck, I even fired myself three times last week, but luckily, I hired myself back each time.  whew!

You mean to tell me that with all the good people that are out of work you couldn't find a better replacement?

;D

Sorry, Your post just begged for that.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

Yeah, I deserved that. And truth be told, I probably could find a better replacement!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Andrew

This is a very tough time to be in this industry.

There are lots of people out of work - and even the ones that are still employed are worried about their job. The ones running the businesses are very concerned about how much work their company has for this year.

We went through this about 15 years ago and it was a really tough time to try and survive. I see many similarities to that period.

Brad Klein

Ian, I don't think it's close to 15 years ago. It runs much deeper, extends to credit markets, overseas, too. This is profound and extensive one with major layoffs all across the industry, not just design and construction but real estate, travel, resorts, club memberships.

Carefully-priced daily-fees will probably benefit, but this one cuts really deep and far.

Ian Andrew

Brad,

The biggest firm in the world (in 1992) went from over 50 down to less than 5 overnight. Most firms let all the support staff go and many big firms let all the associates go because there was no new work. I think so far - the two eras match - I hope it doesn't get worse than this. If it does - than we’ll halve the industry in a year.

Joel_Stewart

If you're not working in Asia you're probably not working.

My question is have architect fees gone down or are architects still demanding 1999 type fees?

Brad Klein

Ian, 

not sure what firm that was Can you say?

1992, let's see, unemployment was about 6%, there was no big economic crash (certainly a slide) that shaped the election outcome, and while Asian markets were tanking Europe stood on the verge of unification and consumer credit was being extended and the stock market was making steady recovery from 1987.

Sorry, it doesn't compute. Bad, but not what we have now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back