News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Donnie Beck

Completely OT Amiga Computer
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
While home at my parents over X-mas a few months ago I stumbled on my old Commodore Amiga Computer. I haven't touched it since 1996. After searching ebay the last couple on months I have founds parts for it and got it connected to the internet tonight. I am making my 1st and probably last post using it but I wanted to see if I could make it happen. So here you go probably the only post ever made to golf club atlas on a COMMODORE AMIGA!!!!

Tim Bert

Re: Completely OT Amiga Computer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »
That's a nice find. Anyone want to trump him and post from a 64?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
Sometimes I post from my iPhone.  The Commodores were easier.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
Hell, I might just be motivated enough to break out my 1992 Duo 230 and do a follow-up post in the morning... nah, it just ain't worth it, although every 6 months or so I pull it out and boot it up just for old times sake!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Donnie Beck

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »
How quickly we forget how far computer technology has come in the last 15 years or so.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
 8) How about from an Osbourne or a Rockwell Aim 65?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »
Donnie,

Congratulations!

Did you have to do a full or only a partial restoration?  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
I wonder how GolfClubAtlas looks on my old version of Mosaic.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
8) How about from an Osbourne or a Rockwell Aim 65?

What does the 65 mean? Tons? The number of rooms needed to hold it? I'm confused...
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jason McNamara

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
You guys are making my NeXT Dimension (yeah, the early 90s dual-screen one) look positively new.

For those who don't like smileys - none of the boards I ever accessed with my C64 had any icons, so I recommend that system to the smiley-haters.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
My first computer was an Apple II+, bought in 1982.  It came with 32kb of memory, but I turbo-boosted that sucker to 48k by installing a 16k card, the first and only time that I ever sullied (sorry Sully...) my hands with bits and bytes and silicon and fiberglass.  I had a modem of 8 bauds which could connect me to the Dow Jones Information Service for up to date stock quotes.  It had Visicalc and a serviceable "Word" type program.  Come to think of it, it did just about anything and everything that do on my current computers, other than downloading all the You Tube videos that Dan Kelly sends me.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »
 8) Charlie

Rockwell 6502 processor family is what powered some early Apple Computers (like Apple II's)..  i had a Rockwell Int. computer kit that i put together in 1979 (AIM 65).. built a wooden box for it and the detachable keyboard.. 4 k memory, 20 character led & thermal printer using little rolls like calculator.. great days indeed.. assembly language.. basic.. watfor..

like Rich Goodale's experi.. when I boosted it to 48k, it was great being cuttin edge..

Osbourne was first "totable" portable, like a small sewing machine, 5.25 inch screen, two 5.25 inch floppys, CPM .. the 7 command fore-runner of DOS.. running VISICALC was really cool..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:52:39 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:52:31 AM »

I did not type before joining the discussion group. I still have to get my office manager to do my emails. Great Job Donnie.

Anthony

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:48 AM »
I'm right with you!  As soon as I find the ethernet connection on my slide rule (yep, I'm that old), I'll one up ya!  J

Donnie Beck

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »
Donnie,

Congratulations!

Did you have to do a full or only a partial restoration?  ;)

Mike,

I have gone a bit overboard with the project. My mom had thrown away my monitor, keyboard, mouse and all my disks and only saved the computer. I was really into Commodore computers back in the day. I unwrapped my 1st Commodore Vic 20 from under the x-mas tree in 1981. The following year I had a c64 under the tree. Next came the c128. Then around the start of the school year in 1985 my father bought an Amiga 1000 from One Byte Computers in Uncasville, CT. By x-mas 1986 he was back at One Byte and bought himself an Amiga 2000 and me MY OWN (not shared with him or my brother) Amiga 500. Now I had MY OWN Computer in my room I started calling local bbs. I worked the entire summer of 87 to save for a US Robotics 9600 HST modem (something like $800 bucks). Needless to say there were not many local boards with HST capability so next came the long distance calls. After a few months of these I figured it was time to put up my own BBS. The board ran on the 500 for about a year. At that point my father agreed to split the cost with me for my own 2000. I only had about 1/4 of the money but promised I would pay him back the rest. (never happened) At this point life was great. I had a high speed modem so the board quickly grew and I had an endless supply of games for the 500. In 1991 I mail ordered (and paid for myself) my final Amiga a 3000T. I used it happily until 96 when I finally gave in and bought a PC. Somewhere along the line I gave away the 500 and sold the 2000 for pennies but the 3000T sat in my parents attic until last x-mas. I have since added a 3.1 roms and os3.9, Cyberstorm 68060 PPC 150mhz Accelerator, Maxed out the ram at 128Meg, a Mediator PCI bus with Voodoo III graphics card, a deneb USB controller, ethernet card and optical mouse. In all I have probably dropped an additional $1500 into it to get it to where I am now but it has been a fun project to get me though a long winter on Fishers Island.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:24:22 AM by Donnie Beck »

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »
What is BBS? I am about as computer illiterate as they come.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
What is BBS? I am about as computer illiterate as they come.

Bulletin Board System..... back in the day they were very much like this forum.. They would have different areas where people could post messages but more importantly some systems had "special file areas" where you could upload and download games and utilities for your computer. The file transfers were illegal as the majority of the stuff was cracked to take the copy protection off the disks so you had to build trust with the "SYSOP" (system operator) to get access to them. It was a fun era..

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »
And the geek of the year award goes to...........

Just kidding.   ;D

It's amazing how much computer technology has advanced in the past 30 years. Last year we were doing some housekeeping around the office and threw out some old 5.25 inch floppy disks.   This kid that works for me had never even seen one and couldn't believe how little data they stored.   

I thought about using Gopher to access GCA and post, but no idea if that's even possible.  As Bill points out, it wouldn't be much worse than posting from the phone.

Tom Yost

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
What? Nobody still running a CoCo ?

JMorgan

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
Ah those were the days...

I had an Apple II.  I remember always wondering if a Commodore 64 was a better choice.  Then I bought an old BMW Bavaria with a fancy Blaupunkt stereo and a sunroof, and then I didn't really care.

(Hey ladies... )

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back