News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

Playing golf at Wentworth, Surrey
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/16df1ac2-f66b-11dd-8a1f-0000779fd2ac.html

Looks like Ernie Els and his Design Group has work in 2009.

Tom Birkert

Re: Playing golf at Wentworth, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »
Hmmm that reads suspiciously like a paid for advert...

I really dislike the changes Els has made. I think they are simplistic, unattractive and do not augment the course.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
"But then, as Gibson points out, members are the prime concern here – visitors are merely incidental extras."

Hmmm is that really true? Would they turn away company X who wanted to bring 50 clients at mega bucks on a Saturday morning.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Hmmm that reads suspiciously like a paid for advert...

I really dislike the changes Els has made. I think they are simplistic, unattractive and do not augment the course.

And that was when he lived on the course and had all those family distractions. Now that he's relocated to Florida I'm confident he'll give a lot more time to the new changes.

One of the most jaw dropping moments I've known in golf was when two caddy members at North Berwick told me about the americans who adopted them and took them in their car for the rest of the trip as playing partners.  "Wentworth, now that's  a great Golf Course" they offered. To each his own.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »
They are replacing all of the greens with bent, aren't they?... the pros have their way again, what with the poa not playing too well at the PGA in early May...

One of the things I find interesting about Wentworth is that it is one of very few traditional 36-hole clubs where the "New" Course (in this case, the newest of the three) has become known over time as the "Top" course, regardless of whether there is any truth in it...

Alister Matheson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
To try and toughen the west up a bit more a couple of years ago after the els overhaul which had stretched the yardage as much as room would alow,i think the pga asked for the course to be set up with the greens being firmer and the rough a bit thicker more us open style.
Problem being the poa got stressed out and started seeding with the lack of water creating bumpier surfaces .
Before the new set up the greens were very receptive  BUT  good surfaces to putt on in May.

With modern technoligy ect converting the greens to usga spec with pure bent  is probably the last option avalible at wentworth to keep tournaments. It is a big  project but im sure it will be done right, the greens will then be naturally a lot firmer ,less receptive making it tougher to score on. 
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back