News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

The greatest looking golf course trees IN THE WORLD!
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
Have just got to be on the 14th and 15th of Cypress Point.

It's been a number of years since I played out there a few times and I remember being impressed with them then but Professor Wayno Morrision was out there recently and did a massive photo shoot of the entire course and all the holes and I was just stunned by the mindbending beauty of some of those trees on both those two holes. Their shapes are phantasmagoric!!

I've seen a lot of courses, a lot of holes and a lot of trees on golf courses in my life and times and travels but never trees that amazing looking---actually none on any golf course anywhere that're in the same universe as the trees on those two holes.

If somebody has posted a thread about this on here, sorry about this one, I guess I missed it but since I did I thought I'd just mention it.

Incredible!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:51:41 PM by TEPaul »

Tom Huckaby

Re: The greatest looking golf course trees IN THE WORLD!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »
Gorgeous trees there, yes.

But the insult of Wayne being out here with no contact with his fans shall be hard to bear.

Or maybe it was just THIS fan?

;D

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »
Any chance he could be convinced to let you post a few of them on here Tom?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »
TomH:

I'm sure Wayne would've been in touch but the primary purpose of his trip out there was apparently some meetings he expected to be severe and they were severe and that's probably the only reason he wasn't in touch.

About posting his Cypress photo shoot I don't know about that, as I'm not one who knows a thing about posting pictures----just posts!  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
TomH:

I'm sure Wayne would've been in touch but the primary purpose of his trip out there was apparently some meetings he expected to be severe and they were severe and that's probably the only reason he wasn't in touch.

About posting his Cypress photo shoot I don't know about that, as I'm not one who knows a thing about posting pictures----just posts!  ;)

No sweat, just having some fun today.

As for pictures... well... Ran's are quite good.. and I doubt the trees changed much if at all from when he took them.  So one and all, please refer to Steve's post and you won't be far off!

TH

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »
Tom,

The MASSIVE cypress right of the fairway at #14 is unreal. This tree is HUGE, featuring limbs that have grown in then back out of the ground to resemble separate trees. However, the most amazing thing about this MONSTER is that in fact it is a single specimen.

After visiting Cypress Point, I immediately looked at a photo of the 14th hole in Shackelford's book to see what this tree looked like 80 years ago. Needless to say, it was much smaller. In fact, its growth over the decades has constricted the approach to #14. But you certainly can't get rid of this tree... which must be one of the most impressive on Earth!
jeffmingay.com

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
The snag at #3 on old mac is probably the coolest tree i've ever seen on a course.

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »

15th @ Cypress Point GC  (Sourced from ArtfulGolfer.com)

A few years ago, another Wayne (a Bay Area TV reporter, I think) brought up a thread about the amazing Tunnel Effect of these trees. Couldn't find it on the search though.

Fantastic tree species for wind sculpted (krumholtz) forms.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
You like these trees? 

From 14 fairway.

The left side of 14 green.  I've never seen anything like this.  Not a good place to miss!

The 14th fairway from behind 14 green.

The 15th tee.

The 15th on the walk from tee to green.

The 15th from behind the green.

The start of the walk from 15 green to 16 tee.  Maybe the most thrilling walk in golf?

I love these trees too.  They're gorgeous. 

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »
That's the stuff!  :o

Thanks John
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Thanks John:

I believe Craig Disher has that photo shoot of Wayne Morrison's and I asked him to post the ones of the trees on #14 and #15. Wayne got a bit more up close and personal with them.  ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »
Have just got to be on the 14th and 15th of Cypress Point.

It's been a number of years since I played out there a few times and I remember being impressed with them then but Professor Wayno Morrision was out there recently and did a massive photo shoot of the entire course and all the holes and I was just stunned by the mindbending beauty of some of those trees on both those two holes. Their shapes are phantasmagoric!!

I've seen a lot of courses, a lot of holes and a lot of trees on golf courses in my life and times and travels but never trees that amazing looking---actually none on any golf course anywhere that're in the same universe as the trees on those two holes.

If somebody has posted a thread about this on here, sorry about this one, I guess I missed it but since I did I thought I'd just mention it.

Incredible!

I am a beautiful tree buff, and no question, u have identified the best trees on the planet.

Great trees in SF, Olympic Club, Pastiempo, Riveria, 300 year old Oaks at a nember of clubs, 17 mile drive is greaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I have seen wonderful old Burr Oaks in Chicago.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
There is certainly something deeply appealing in the look of those knarled and bent and twisted old cypress trees at CPGC.   One sees pictures of some Japanese courses, and those Japanese Yew trees that are neat, but it seems no course has 'the look' in spades like Cypress Point.  

Why do golfers like that knarly, bowed, bent and twisted look of their trees?  Is it because that is what the golf swing will make of all of us sooner or later?  :-\ ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
".....in the look of those knarled and bent and twisted old cypress trees at CPGC."

RJ, buddy, over here and at Cypress Point it's spelled gnarled, not knarled. Only kangaroos and Australian people spell it knarled.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
Dig out Shackelford's Cypress Point book. There are some really passionate quotes by Mackenzie illustrating his amazement at seeing these amazing cypress trees as well.
jeffmingay.com

Craig Disher

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
A few of Wayne's photos:

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »
These poor excuses for trees only look good because of their unfortunate proximity to (intoned in deep, booming Don LaFontaine tones) 'The Hedge.....'

Kidding of course. I love these trees. Almost primeval in their aspect, they remind me of fossilised mastodon bones or something. I've often debated in my head whether or not they should replant the propped-up dead one in the 16th fairway. (On reflection, it's always NO!)

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
Craig:

Thank you for posting them. Aren't those photos incredible!?

Nice going Wayno.

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
Wow,  those are b-e-a-uutiful. 

Thanks Craig (and Wayne).
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
To give some sense of scale:

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
The ones in the foreground.....

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
Tom,

I wonder if those trees are made even more stunning by the lacey edges of the bunkers that tie in the terrain of the golf course with the trees ?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
Joe!

Why I oughta'!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back