News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Re: The greatest looking golf course trees IN THE WORLD!
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 01:50:51 PM »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »
OK, OK...some trees are very pretty on the golf course....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Norbert P

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 02:04:04 PM »

Barnbougle Dunes -  Trees to the side of #10.

I have better pictures of them in better light but this one was already in my photobucket files.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

john_stiles

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

Many years ago,  when I was too young,  I actually trespassed on CPC very late in the evening.  Just walked around a few holes, down and around 15th.    Those twisting trees, late in the cool gray winter evening, are pretty spooky.  You walk down the paths looking behind you and around.   If the guard had just jumped out from behind one of those trees,  I would have died of sheer fright.  Very spooky in the late evening and long shadows. 

Would make for a scary Stephen King golf novel,   someone jumping out with a knife and assaulting trespassers,  then going to a fancy party at the Beach Club with a beautiful girl on his arm.

ps ...those trees at the OC always look tall and majestic also

pps.....One of the greatest looking  'near-golf'   trees, and amazing that it has lived, logo for Pebble Beach,  is the grand Lone Cypress tree down on the 17 mile drive.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »
TE Paul,

If you really want to appreciate these photographically ... look no further then Ed Weston's frames from Point Lobos.

Tremendous.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tomas Hannell

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
Nice place for a Pimm's between rounds...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:36 AM »
John Stiles, I definitely get that scary sense looking at those trees and can imagine the fight one could get walking around them at night.  In fact, the trees bring the drawings found in the classic copies of Dante's Inferno, done by Gustave Doré to mind.  I'll bet a great cinematographer could really shoot one hell of a scene within those old roots and trunks. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
I thought these were pretty cool when I played there this pas summer.

I wonder how Art Hills got them to look so uniform?  ;)

David Stamm

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
The trees on the Monterey Peninsula are the most unique in the country, IMHO. It's such an amazing view on the Lookout Point at Cypress Point in the late afternoon/early evening. The Cypress trees look like they are full of memories. The Monterey Pines aren't too shabby either. I'm also fond of California Coastal Oaks, which can be seen from Ventura county northward. There will be quite a few neat specimens to be seen at the KP this year between Soule and Sherwood.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
Mike,

Is that Art Hills' Red Hawk GC on the Lake Huron side of Michigan?  If so, how good is it?  I have heard good things about it.  And, it falls after a certain of Hills' courses when I feel his associates have had more say in his designs and as a result a better product has been produced.

Chris

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
Chris,

No, it's the "Hills" course at Boyne Highlands in Michigan and it was probably the best of his courses I've played.   We liked it better than the more famous RTJ Sr. course on the site, which used to be a Golf Digest Top 100 pick.

Here's a few more pics..

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
Mike,

Thank you.  I will put this course on my list to play.

Chris

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
I thought for sure someone would say that this was the best looking tree on any golf course:

Steve Lang

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:29 AM »
 8)  Mike C,

I believe there were some major fires that helped wipe out the Michigan forests, as well as the 19th century lumber barons in the upper regions of the lower peninsula of Michigan,.. there are some very famous real big trees that survived them at Hartwick Pines State Park that you may have seen signs for off I-75 between Grayling and Gaylord, and there are many such stands of later growth replanted trees and more recently the odd christmas tree farms that were never harvested up there..

"Logging companies often did not confine their cutting to the area they had purchased. There was the practice of "logging a round forty," which meant buying forty acres and then cutting the timber around it in all directions far beyond the boundaries of the area to which title had been secured. By 1900 most of the pine in the Lower Peninsula was gone. Pine logging in the Upper Peninsula began to assume greater importance in the 1880s, and the virgin stands lasted until about 1920. The peak of Michigan’s great timber harvest was reached in 1889-1890 when mills cut a total of 5.5 billion board feet of lumber, mostly pine.

By the boom’s end, logging had stripped 19.5 million acres, none of which was replanted, leaving vast tracts of barren wasteland. The lumber barons attempted to unload the now worthless land by setting up demonstration farms, using large amounts of fertilizer to convince unsuspecting buyers that the soil was suitable for farming. Many small plots were sold to people who put up their life savings, only to find out after a couple of unproductive growing seasons that they had been cheated. Most of the barren land couldn’t be sold under any circumstances and it reverted to state ownership as the lumber barons abandoned it because they didn’t want to continue paying taxes on it.

During the depression of the 1930s, one of the projects assigned to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), made up of out-of-work young men, was to repair the damage done to the nation’s forests by clear-cutting. The CCC planted millions of seedlings and over time most of Michigan’s barren areas were reforested. However, some areas known as "stump prairies" still exist, even though it has been over a century since they were stripped of trees.

Today, over half of Michigan’s land mass is covered by forests. Logging, which never disappeared altogether, continues, especially in the state’s northern counties, but it is being done very selectively, to preserve and protect the remaining old-growth forests. Tree farming began in 1941, and now accounts for the overwhelming majority of the nearly 675 million board-feet of lumber that Michigan produces annually. Michigan also produces over 15 million Christmas trees each year, representing approximately 15% of the nation’s supply."

is that Joe Hancock up on that pile of sticks, after some winter pruning?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:39:50 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_Yates

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
Tom, I heartily agree with your opening statement.

What I think is amazing is that the beautifully sculptured tall "dead" tree standing to the left of the 14th green at Cypress (see the photo posted above) looks today exactly as it did when the course was built.  After reading Shackelford's "Alistair MacKenzie's Cypress Point Club" book and seeing a picture of the tree, I jumped in the car and drove down to Cypress Point to see for myself.

That tree was and is still there.  Obviously, it was an integral aestetic aspect of the original design.  Thankfully, those Cypress Point folks take care of their "dead" trees better than some courses take care of their live ones. 
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back