News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Bertram

The Melbourne Sand Belt Clubs have combined to run a charity day in aid of the victims of the Bush Fires that have caused so much damage.

The event will be held on the Composite Course at Royal Melbourne on Monday March 30th.

Full details including the price will be posted as soon as they come to hand.

ed_getka

Re: Royal Melbourne Composite Charity Day for Victorian Bushfire Victims
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »
Andrew,
   Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I assumed many of the fires were in underpopulated areas, have many homes been damaged? That is great that the Sandbelt clubs are trying to help. I seem to remember Pine Valley did something after 9/11 to help out here in the US.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chris Kane

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
Ed, the fires weren't in urban areas - but have destroyed 1750 homes and killed 181 people.  This number is expected to rise towards 300 once all missing persons are accounted for.  Several towns have been wiped out. 

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
Chris,
   Thanks for the info. It is surprising how many people have died. Are the fires moving really fast due to high winds? It is sad to hear of so many lives lost.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:33:10 AM »
Ed

The fire, "wild fire" as described, travelled at in excess of 100 kilometres and hour. The areas are quite populated with many homes in valleys and on hill sides.

The previous club i was the pro at is near the area of some of the main damage and 35 members lost homes. Their description is that 1 minute the fire was a couple of kilometres away and before they had time to do anyting it was on top of them. With so many homes on hillsides the fire could come over the top of the hill with residents not knowing.
The heat caused builings to explode so it was not just teh fire.

A good friend made it out after leaving his house and driving through smoke at 90+ km an hour with the fire keeping up with him. scary.

Marysville is mentioned in the confidential guide and was one of victoria's prettiest towns.

I will have full details tomorrow or tuesday and i fully intend putting a group together for the day. The aim is to raise in excess of $100,000.

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Was Horsham the only course destroyed?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
Brad,

It sounds like the fairways and greens will come back well at Horsham.
They have by all accounts lost a lot of trees - and I will let you draw your own conclusions from that.

I am not sure of the fate Marysville Golf Club - but there is almost nothing left of the township.
MGC earned a place right at the top of Tom Doak's list of narrowest courses in the world

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
Andrew,
   Thanks for the feedback. I hope the fundraiser goes very well.

Chris Kane

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
I received an email about the charity day today:

$1000 per pair on the Composite, with a shotgun start, AM and PM fields.  Includes lunch, refreshments and prizes.

The sandbelt clubs are also arranging a scheme where golfers whose courses have been badly damaged will have (limited) access to the eight sandbelt clubs for a period of twelve months, at no cost.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Entry forms and further information have been posted at www.sandbelt.com.

Mark_F

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »
The sandbelt clubs are also arranging a scheme where golfers whose courses have been badly damaged will have (limited) access to the eight sandbelt clubs for a period of twelve months, at no cost.

Chris,

Do you know if that includes new members of those clubs? :)

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 05:56:57 AM »
Details still to be confirmed Mark.  But anyone who does what you're suggesting is the golfing equivalent of a looter.   

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:18 AM »
Details still to be confirmed Mark.  But anyone who does what you're suggesting is the golfing equivalent of a looter.   

I am sure the destroyed clubs would appreciate the increased revenue. Perhaps it could be set up that new members pay a bit more, with some stake going to the sandbelt clubs and the rest going to any repair and restoration efforts for the hurt club?

Terry Thornton

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »

It'd be as bad as jumping the fence at St Andrews Beach and playing for free on a course that had been kept going by people willing to pay for it

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Terry,

I really hope you're joking.  Equating a failed business venture and its aftermath with immorally taking advantage of what is I believe a very nice charitable gesture is a little distasteful. 

Terry Thornton

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
Terry,

I really hope you're joking.  Equating a failed business venture and its aftermath with immorally taking advantage of what is I believe a very nice charitable gesture is a little distasteful. 

Of course,...... winding up Chris is good sport though. Anyone taking advantage of the fire tragedy is beneath contempt. Unfortunately the news seems to have more to report in this area each day

Chris Kane

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
I am sure the destroyed clubs would appreciate the increased revenue. Perhaps it could be set up that new members pay a bit more, with some stake going to the sandbelt clubs and the rest going to any repair and restoration efforts for the hurt club?

Would you agree that the likes of Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath letting affected golfers play on their courses for free for twelve months is a very generous offer?  I think it is, and there is no need to extend the offer to undesirables who seek to take advantage of the tragedy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back