News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Re: RTJ2 and their "Green Proclamation"
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
Total revamp...even a film..and a blog...and podcasts...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian Phillips

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
Happy Birthday by the way!!
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Adam Russell

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
Adam,
I am not sure why it bothers you when "no one makes the critical jump to advance the field as a whole".  Now it may very well be that others are leading and RTJ is catching up but at the same time, the Wright Bros. didn't start right out with the 747.  As you state, a perfectly balanced ecological golf course isn't feasible right now, but it may be in the future.  I get the sneaking suspicion that when all is said and done, it will actually take a lot of technology to make them so, not less.
Bother is too strong of a word. I more wish there was an architect that steps forward and says "LEED, green, Audubon, its not good enough. We're going as close as possible to building self-sustaining golf courses, ones that create natural resources and heal themselves. We might not get all the way there, but we will lead the field in the breakthroughs that will"... Just start the conversation and other smart people will react with true innovations.

I see other industries, other planner, LARs, architects taking big leaps towards self-sustaining design, yet GCA, the ones who would probably benefit most as an industry from adopting the most advanced, forward way of design thinking say "we got birds..."  Green is becoming very, very tired. I think its time someone broke the mold and went for it.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
Adam, the really "green" stuff has nothing to do with golf course design, its all about the land planning and engineering. Something most architects know little about or have no control over.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back