News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mitch jean

Re: NH golf course lawsuit
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
Steve: No, the Superior Court dockets are not on line.  The only way to review the pleadings is to go to the court.  Rockingham County is some distance from my residence.

mitch jean

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
The New Hampshire Supreme Court issued an opinion in the case yeasterday.  It upheld the trial court's grant of summary judgment (ruling that the course owner owed no duty to protect the plaintiff with regard to the risk of his ball striking the yardage marker located in the center of the fairway and that the risk was therefore assumed by him).

Hence, no recovery for his injury.

Ken Moum

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
The New Hampshire Supreme Court issued an opinion in the case yeasterday.  It upheld the trial court's grant of summary judgment (ruling that the course owner owed no duty to protect the plaintiff with regard to the risk of his ball striking the yardage marker located in the center of the fairway and that the risk was therefore assumed by him).

As is often the situation the final verdict is on cases like this makes sense--especially if you learn all the facts.

One of my favorite examples is the Macdonalds hot coffee suit.  Many obsevers thought the verdict was silly, but after reading the details it's hard to disagree w/ the jury.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

JC Jones

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

Thank goodness.  Did Supreme Court publish the opinion?  If not, is it available somewhere else?

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »
JC:

If you want to track golf and club related litigations and lawsuits your best bet is to get in touch with the National Club Association (NCA) in Washington D.C.

I have done a pretty good amount of golf related lawsuit tracking and research through them over the years. Some of the most interesting are ones that had to do with the privacy issue somehow. I remember one in particular where Sandra Day O'Connor wrote a most interesting opinion for the majority essentially sending it back where it came from to be resolved.  ;)

But probably the most interesting of all was that Casey Martin thing.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:45:46 AM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
The NH Supreme Court decision is not surprising. It is consistent with a long line of cases in which the affirmative defense of "assumption of risk" is given great weight.

That is true not just in the context of golf, but in virtually every other sport as well.

It's a shame that newspapers tend to report the (often sensational) trial level claims of the injured and rarely return to report later the final adjudication of the matter.

Bob

JC Jones

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »
JC:

If you want to track golf and club related litigations and lawsuits your best bet is to get in touch with the National Club Association (NCA) in Washington D.C.

I have done a pretty good amount of golf related lawsuit tracking and research through them over the years. Some of the most interesting are ones that had to do with the privacy issue somehow. I remember one in particular where Sandra Day O'Connor wrote a most interesting opinion for the majority essentially sending it back where it came from to be resolved.  ;)

But probably the most interesting of all was that Casey Martin thing.

Thanks for the legal research tip :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »
JC:

You're welcome. I wasn't sure if you realized there are people who do legal research on golf related stuff or even otherwise. Some believe lawyers sort of just enter into things simply to argue.  ;)

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
JC:

You're welcome. I wasn't sure if you realized there are people who do legal research on golf related stuff or even otherwise. Some believe lawyers sort of just enter into things simply to argue.  ;)

;D

TEPaul

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »
"Your Honor, I object to that response and those ridiculous looking dentures on the grounds that they tend towards not perpetuating the argument!"

"Counselor, see me in my chambers immediately for excessive foolishness in my courtroom."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »
We absolutely need tort reform in this country.

Aren't the dangers of hitting with the pole there readily apparent?  Don't they come out of the ground easily?  Didn't he possibly assume the risk by hitting without either removing the pole or moving his ball?

I hope they send him packing at summary judgment, but don't hold your breath on that...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JC Jones

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
We absolutely need tort reform in this country.

Aren't the dangers of hitting with the pole there readily apparent?  Don't they come out of the ground easily?  Didn't he possibly assume the risk by hitting without either removing the pole or moving his ball?

I hope they send him packing at summary judgment, but don't hold your breath on that...

I'll bet you $10 he loses and loses all his appeals.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
I accept your bet JC.  I think you are wrong that he'll lose and lose all his appeals.

Just as a non-bet guess, I'd imagine the case settles before trial and he gets something.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David_Elvins

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
I'll bet you $10 he loses and loses all his appeals.

I accept your bet JC.

;D ;D ;D
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
JC, for the record, I do hope you're right and that I have to pay you $10, because I don't want the lugnut to ruin it for everyone else, but I don't have much faith in that happening...

***UODATE*** I missed the end of the thread on page 1.  JC I owe you $10.

Hooray for N.H. sending the guy packing.  It's about time courts in NY started doing the same thing.  JC send me your address off-list.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:40:34 AM by Jay Flemma »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
Hey, I am not a lawyer, but I do remember a little lore.

The 'McDonalds hot coffee' famed incident; you know, $2,000,000 returned judgement? It was thrown out on appeal, right? I see this one so many times that it makes me nauseous to see how many do not know that the result of nearly all this frivilous crap is laughter and the boot.

The old 'tort reform' BS is nonsense. My friend who actually IS a lawyer will tell you that corporations win nearly every lawsuit case, and far more often than justice should allow. Why so? Because they have so much pull in the communities [my job etc] and because they have far more legal resources than John Q. The 'tort reform' crap is just politics get local govs, who are fed by the money from these sources, to enact protection legislation in return for 'donations'. I seem to recall that the Constitution of the United States [you know the one?] actually mentions specifically the right to sue for redress, yes?

All that said, I doubt this man will get 'redress' for an incident that most any juror will say 'pays your money and takes your chances' to. And if twelve close friends end up on his local jury, even they are unlikely. But IF they actually did give him cash, the appeal with kick it out.

Leave the Constitution alone please.

Doug

Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:51 AM »
Doug,

I've posted this before about the infamous "McDonald's coffee case" and I will every time someone here calls for "tort reform"
and refers to the case. I am still a lawyer but not actively practicing. The case was not "thrown out" on appeal. A settlement was reached before the appeal was decided.

TRUTH ABOUT MCDONALD'S CASE
There is a lot of hype about the McDonalds' scalding coffee case. No one is in favor of frivolous cases or outlandish results; however, it is important to understand some points that were not reported in most of the stories about the case. McDonalds coffee was not only hot, it was scalding - capable of almost instantaneous destruction of skin, flesh and muscle. Here's the whole story.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of her grandson's car when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served in a styrofoam cup at the drive through window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds. Other testimony showed that as the temperature decreased toward 155 degrees, the extent of the burn relative to the temperature decreases exponentially. Thus, if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.

McDonalds asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or home, intending to consume it there. However, the company's own research showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving.

McDonalds also argued that consumers know coffee is hot and that its customers want it that way. The company admitted its customers were unaware that they could suffer third degree burns from the coffee and that a statement on the side of the cup was not a "warning" but a "reminder" since the location of the writing would not warn customers of the hazard.

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee sales.

Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the local Albuquerque McDonalds had dropped to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.

The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 - or three times compensatory damages - even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

After an appeal, the parties reached a confidential settlement.

excerpted from ATLA fact sheet. ©1995, 1996 by Consumer Attorneys of California
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Steve, doesn't that still beg the question of what kind of imbecile puts a styrofoam cup of boiling hot coffee between their legs?  Car moving or not?  Doesn't a normal person think, "maybe I shouldn't do this because it's a styrofoam cup and it might spill?  That's like my friend yesterday who spent Thanksgiving in a hospital with her cousin who got his hand stuck in a corn grinder, or worse still, the ass-hole teenager kid who broke his neck when he tried to take a kiddie sled down a homemade mogul run and when he flipped over got a spinal cord injury.  Then when a lawyer asked him if he didn't think what he was doing was dangerous he said, "gee I didn't see any risk that would cause a spinal cord injury."

People should know enough not to shave with lawn mowers...and a few other common sense things too...

...and they especially should read the entire thread so they don't have to send $10 checks to Charlotte:):) ***hand raised***
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:14:55 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tim Martin

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
Steve, doesn't that still beg the question of what kind of imbecile puts a styrofoam cup of boiling hot coffee between their legs?  Car moving or not?  Doesn't a normal person think, "maybe I shouldn't do this because it's a styrofoam cup and it might spill?  That's like my friend yesterday who spent Thanksgiving in a hospital with her cousin who got his hand stuck in a corn grinder, or worse still, the ass-hole teenager kid who broke his neck when he tried to take a kiddie sled down a homemade mogul run and when he flipped over got a spinal cord injury.  Then when a lawyer asked him if he didn't think what he was doing was dangerous he said, "gee I didn't see any risk that would cause a spinal cord injury."

People should know enough not to shave with lawn mowers...and a few other common sense things too...

...and they especially should read the entire thread so they don't have to send $10 checks to Charlotte:):) ***hand raised***
Jay-I don`t know if you would make a very good candy striper. Compassion and empathy for only those that didn`t get hurt doing something stupid? The "ass-hole teenager kid" seems a bit harsh as teenagers pull these kinds of stunts constantly. Did you ever see Jackass? Have a heart-its Christmas time. :)

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
In case anyone is interested in Golf-related litigation, my wife gave me John Minan's book "The Little Green Book of Golf Law." It profiles 19 real-life cases on golf-related suits.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
I read that book, and it's terrible.  It picks the wierdest cases, then as filler, shifts gears to talk about golf rules to fill space...rules that have nothing to do with the legal cases.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back