News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

County Louth Golf Club to host Irish Open
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
It was reported in the Irish Times that the 2009 Irish Open will be played at the County Louth Golf Club ( Baltray ) from May 14-17.
Announcements regarding sponsorship etc will be made soon.

Joel_Stewart

Re: County Louth Golf Club to host Irish Open
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »
Thats this year.   Don't they announce these things a little farther in advance to get ready?

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
This was announced a few months ago. I think (not 100% sure) it was offered to Mt Juliet, but they could not host it.
John Marr(inan)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »
Up until recently, the venue of the Irish Open was listed on the Euro PGAT website as "TBD" (To Be Determined).  The Irish Open has had a checkered past in terms of reliability, i.e. many gap years and even decades where it was not played due to lack of sponsorship.  An emerald "Open" championship it ain't.

Great to see Baltray getting the nod, however.  I've never played there but everybody I know and whom I respect who has sings its praises.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »
I am pretty sure this event was played at Baltray within the past 3-5 years.

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
David,

Baltray hosted the 2004 Nissan Irish Open:
http://www.europeantour.com/default.sps?pageid=127&pagegid=%7BAEFB93B0-EFF5-4C05-AB0F-FD08D947D944%7D&eventid=2004043&infosid=3
Quite a lengthy link that so hope it works?

When I played it in 2006 there were plenty of photos in the clubhouse of the top pros playing there.
A great course that I would recommend to anyone, and very friendly! I was let through by two woman on the 16th but a simple thanks and a nod wasn't enough they started chatting and asked where I was from? I said England and was immediatly told that her brother was a club pro in Derbyshire! Being from Derbyshire I only knew of one Irish pro in the area and this was because my brother was at the time one of his assistants, and yes it turned out that was her brother. Small World!!!

Can't wait to watch the pros playing there on TV!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
I second James' comments on the welcome at Baltray.  If you ever visit make sure to chat with the pro Paddy McGuirk.  Paddy is a great story teller and former champion of the Carroll's International, the precursor to the revived Irish Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back