News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PAW13

Alex Findlay
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »
I have been asked to help look into Alex Findlay's history in the Philadelphia area with particular interest in Walnut Lane.  Can anyone chime in here?  Tom Paul?

Kyle Harris

Re: Alex Findlay
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
Paging Joe Bausch!

Chet, PM me off line - we have a whole bunch of stuff! Why Walnut Lane?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
Hi Chet,

THis thread from a few years back is still relevant today.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6108.0.html

I'd echo Kyle's question...why Walnut Lane?   PM me privately if you wish.

Thanks!
Mike

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »
My Goodness gracious---great balls of fire, it's Pennsylvania great player, CHET WALSH----the fairly recent and crowd favorite winner of GMGC's AJDP Cup!!

I'm sorry, Chet, but I'm not up enough on the architectural details of Alex Findlay but there are some on this website who sure are. Off the top of my head, probably amongst others they would be Jamie Slonis and certainly Jim Nagle.

I have no doubt they'll see this thread and help you out. And then there's the ultra Philly old public course experts like Cirba and certainly the uber research-mole Joe Bausch. Bausch is a Villanova chemistry professor so if you want to know how to like set off like a homemade missile he should be able to help you with that too.

They should be able to tell you everything you want to know and more about Alex Findlay and Walnut Lane.

I might recommend Michael Bamberger too but he isn't on this website. He just loves Walnut Lane and if you want to talk to him about it get in touch with me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:04:11 PM by TEPaul »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »
One thing I will say about Walnut Lane - it exceeded my already high expectations. It's a bit rough around the edges, but there sure are some FUN shots out there.

The first 7 holes (those on the clubhouse side of the road) would make an ideal dream backyard for anyone on this website I think. Holes 3, 7, 12, 14, and 17 are as good a set of par 4s as one would find anywhere. I think there are maybe 4 bunkers amongst them, total.

I eagerly anticipate a return trip - which may be tomorrow if things settle out right. Any takers?

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »
By the way, Chester, I see your handle is PAW13. What the hell does the A which must be your middle name stand for? Let me guess; would it be Alphonso or maybe Algernon? Or would it be Alex which might help explain why you got picked for Walnut Lane?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:08:13 PM by TEPaul »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »
One thing about Walnut Lane that I've not seen ANYWHERE is the routing of the 4th-6th holes.

Three consecutive par 3s routed in what are essentially an equilateral triangle. The 4th is a long, downhill par 3 that is north of 200 yards I believe, the 5th is the famous "dogleg" par 3 that plays to 175 or so across a valley and the 6th is a slightly uphill proposition in the neighborhood of 160 yards. The 4th tee is the highest point in this routing and one can see play on the entirity of the first 7 holes from there.

Club Selection from the time I played there (note: Tees were up a bit and it was frozen):
4th hole: 6 iron, played to bounce short and run on, stayed a bit short
5th hole: 6 iron with a draw to carry green, overcooked a bit into the left fringe
6th hole: 9 iron to carry green, Thurmon Munson... no happiness found over there.

In the summer, I can see this stretch producing some interesting club selections and shot shapes.

PAW13

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
TP

The A. stands for Anthony, Chet is just a family nickname from the Hardy Boys books.

Mike thanks for the link, my contact is excited to see it and would like to see any original design copies of Walnut Lane if anyone has any.

Look forward to hearing from Jamie and Joe as well.

PAW13

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
Kyle & Mike

Please email me if you would like more info.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
Chet, I'm sure I have some info on Walnut Lane.  What are you looking for?

Edit:  ahhh, you want original design copies of Walnut Lane.  That I don't have.  But I know where to look.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:29:39 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PAW13

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
Joe

Any orignal course designs as well as connections to higher profile courses in the area like Tavistock and Llanerch.  I guess from what I have seen to date that he did Pittsburgh Field Club as well.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
Joe Bausch,

We NEED to get to the FPC archives.   

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Joe

Any orignal course designs as well as connections to higher profile courses in the area like Tavistock and Llanerch.  I guess from what I have seen to date that he did Pittsburgh Field Club as well.

I have a partial list of many courses he designed in the area.  And he was certainly involved in Tavistock and Llanerch. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
Joe Bausch,

We NEED to get to the FPC archives.   

Yes.   ;D

JNagle

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »
PAW13 -

You would be well served to see Llanerch and Tavistock.  Other courses worthy of a visit are Reading and Lebanon.  Findlay duplicated many bunker shapes and schemes on his courses.  Seeing the repetition allows one to gather inspiration for work that may no longer exist.  An obvious trip to Hagley may turn up some photographic images.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

PAW13

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
Jim

Thanks not sure the site visits are needed, request is more for historical value than redesign work at this point.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Also Coatesville and Reading.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »
Chet--

You need to go down and see the original 9 holes at Chester River Yacht & Country Club  in Chestertown, MD.  It's about 90 minutes south of Philadelphia.  There are some truly original greens, #13 in particular.  If you want some more info, PM me. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back