News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Keep an eye out for this guy
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Player blinded by his own ball

And his wife is claiming emotional damage.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Keep an eye out for this guy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:02 AM »
I hope the scorecard listed the yardage poles as moveable obstructions.

In Oregon a landlord just lost a lawsuit where a child fell from a second story window.

Was it a Top-Flight Cyclops? :-\

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »
What a nitwit. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:54:07 AM »
A hooker with a glass eye once told my buddy after they had kinky sex, that she'd "keep an eye out for him"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
In the eighties I was a super at an old public course in Chico, Ca. 

The irrigation system was rudimentary; the only controller for the back nine irrigation system was in the maintenance office, so it was hard to know if anyone was around when turning on sprinklers for maintenance, etc.

A golfer and his wife were on hole 11 in a cart, and as thought the hole was empty, turned on a sprinkler: The head popped up, and from a distance of 12 ft or so, the main stream hit him in his eyes as they drove along.

He sued, claiming emotional distress.......and get this, his wife sued, claiming "loss of consortium"!!!

Settled out of court.

Tom
the pres

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »
Player blinded by his own ball

And his wife is claiming emotional damage.

You want ridiculous lawsuits like this to go away,
go to a "loser pays" system.
What's next, warning signs on trees?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
I recall a lawsuit against a course and gca where a guy fell on a slope (a normal slope off a green)  For whatever reason, he couldn't sue, but his wife sued on the  "loss of sexual companionship" issue.  I don't know how that came out, but I get the feeling that the secondary wife lawsuit is a pretty standard legal tactic if there is any part of the injury that is personally culpable.

All of that said, with ground level markers, yardage books and GPS available, this is another nail in the coffin for the old 150 yard pole.  Some would say that is a good thing for golf.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »
I'd like to know who the plaintiff's "expert" is in this case and how he arrived at his opinion that yardage markers present a dangerous condition. I'm sure the defense will hire an expert too. Any architects here want to earn a nice fee?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:09:59 AM »
Remember:  The one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
In the '80s, I belonged to Rock Creek Country Club in Portland, OR.  They had rocks about the size of the famous one Tiger had moved in the rough on either side of the fairway at 150 yards.  Eventually someone skulled a shot that hit a rock and came back and hit him.  The rocks were removed, but there was no lawsuit.  No word if anyone sued for getting a branch in the eye as they walked by.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
Mike,

I don't think that statement, if made by the defense, will fly with a jury, even in New Hampshire.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Burzynski

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »
Honest story, I was there when it happened and saw it with my own eyes.  We are in a foursome waiting behind the tee box for another foursome to tee off, guy tees the ball up, hits a worm burner, it ricochets back off the wooden red tee marker at his partner and hits him right square in the nether regions.  Talk about loss of consortium...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
If this guy ever took lessons, I wonder if he was a good pupil?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »
Aye Joe, aye!

Tom
the pres

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »
To add insult to injury, this guy even had to take a penalty stroke.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
Another case to add to my growing list of pro bono clients?

A friend of mine was playing with his now ex-wife and two daughters.  The ex hit shot off the toe, richocheted off the ball washer to the side of the tee and hit her in the side of the head.  Down goes Frazier! Trying desperately not to laugh, Chuck discovered that she wasn't badly hurt.  Then he and his youngest daughter continued the round (gotta love kids), while Mom and oldest daughter went home. . .  Fairly shortly thereafter she decided she wanted a divorce (and is now wondering why her life suck so bad -- apparently thinking not working and playing tennis at the club every day would be her post-marital state as well. . . ).

C. Squier

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.  Then it's just blind fun.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
There may be some merit to the lawsuit, since the course for no apparent reason had the 150 yard post in the middle of the fairway. I believe the rest of the charges will be thrown out, but that one might hold.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

JohnV

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
He should thank his lucky stars he didn't keep his head down as he might be dead instead since it would have hit him in the temple.

Keith,  This was in 2006.   It was two shots back then.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
On the 15th at Pebble my tee shot from the back tee hit the tee sign, went on the road and hit a woman cyclying by, knocking her off her bike.  I have also seen the tee shot hit the little tee marker balls and come back (haven't done it) and witnessed tee shots take out low flying birds a second or so after leaving the clubface.  (environmental lawsuit in the making there)

I always was taught that the standard of care to golfers was a bit lower than to outsiders, like the cycler at PB, since they might not be aware of possible dangers coming their way.  In general, I think a golfer would know that a vertical object might be struck.

I played Giant's Ridge with Jesse Ventura when he was governor.  There were a lot of natural boulders on that course, some too big to move, so we left them.  His security detail was really nervous (as was I) when he insisted on playing it as it lay from close behind a boulder.  He missed it, but I always wonder when golfers ignore the real possibility of their shot strking something like that.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
A bag room worker I supervised a few years ago hit an approach shot near an irrigation pond that ricocheted off a skinny electrical pole and fractured the orbital bone in his eye.

Two weeks later when he was back at work and I was hitting balls on an off-day, he teased that I wouldn't be able to hit the caged range cart as he drove by from about 50 yards.  Of course, I missed.

And then pegged him in the hind quarters through a thereto unnoticed 2-inch gap in the back of the cage from 180 yards with a 3-iron.  It was a "stinger" in more ways than one, though thankfully his wallet took the brunt of it and was full of tip money for extra cushioning.

He found it all quite funny and thankfully I did not experience a Cosmo Kramer style lawsuit.  But I haven't taken any shots at range carts since.

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »
when i was playing Butler a few years ago a guy told me how one of the  maintenance workers got nailed on the fly by a big drive....hit him you know where.....he had to have it removed.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JESII

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
?

I'm lost too, Jim. The thread started in reference to a guy having one eye put out, then it evolves to a thread about a guy who had "ol' one eye" removed.....

http://www.imeem.com/people/xB3rMxS/music/FxeqquTK/heywood_banks_the_one_eye_love/

http://www.imeem.com/people/x4g2Ulf/music/Tu2cKUtL/heywood_banks_trauma_to_the_groin/

Joe
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:41:19 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Damon Groves

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
A foursome of guys is playing behind a foursome of ladies who were playing slow. The guys could not take it and started trying to hit close to move the ladies along. One of the morons hit it too hard and hit one of ladies on the green. She sued him for medical bills and general damages and got a decent award. Assumption of the risk covers me going down one fairway and getting hit by another guy that shanks it from the next fairway. It clearly does not cover trying to hit into the group ahead. Also, as it was an intentional act you get no insurance coverage.

Morale is don't be stupid and simply go up and say something to the group ahead instead of trying to get cute and hitting into the group ahead.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back