News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Beechtree article in Golf Mag
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
Nice writeup in the new Golf Magazine about the closing of Beechtree.  Had a few quotes from some GCAers about the course and its strategies.

Best part of the article in my opinion were the quotes from the 74 year old starter who really talked about the family attitude the workers and regular players seemed to have.

Certainly a course that meant a lot to Tom D as he had a very special round there.  Maybe he can tell us a little more about it.

Chip Gaskins

Re: Beechtree article in Golf Mag
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »
I am pretty sure I didn't use the words "chocolatey-licoricey bouquet".  Hell, I can't even pronounce that. ???

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »
It is a nice article and I am pleased they spent a fair bit of time talking to the employees ... the pro and superintendent were equally in love with the place but I think they avoided comment because they were still employed and didn't want to sound like they were complaining.

Chip:  I was misquoted, too, but that's okay.  Did you really give me credit for lining up the eighth hole on the clubhouse?  I never saw a plan for the clubhouse until  the course was pretty much finished ... we architects always get more credit than we deserve.  ;)

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
Chip,

I was right next to you when you said it. And then you said the greens were velvety, smoochie, poochie. At that point I moved slowly away from you.
AKA Mayday

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »
I am pretty sure I didn't use the words "chocolatey-licoricey bouquet".  Hell, I can't even pronounce that. ???

Chip, THAT MADE my day, and probably Duffy Waldorf's as well!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Phil Benedict

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
I skimmed the article in Grand Central on the way home tonight.  Good picture of Chip Gaskins, corporate developer.  What is that exactly?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »
Tom-  It looks like I gave you credit for the clubhouse and #8 but reading the article was the first I heard of that site line off the tee, hmm, who knew?

Mike-  All I know is #17 green at Beechtree was one of the best I have ever played.  By the way, why didn't you tell me to go double short S&P in October!

Phil-  I am not sure what a corporate developer is either?  I know right this moment it means out of work :o

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
I remember similar feelings of discovery when I uncovered Washington Golf Monthly during a visit to a course in Pennsylvania.  I loved that magazine for its reviews of something then-unknown to western New York:  the UPGC (upscale public golf course.)  We had muni after muni after muni in the Buffalo area, with one former private club-turned daily fee.  Our explosion came ten years after the middle atlantic region's coming-out.  Things always seem to come later to western New York.  What I can't comprehend is how our multitude of private clubs stay in business, let alone private.  My guess is we have three tiers to the private sector:  old money, nouveau riche and no money.  It's the bottom tier that shouldn't be in business but is.

In one of those early Washington Golf Monthly editions, I remember reading about Beechtree and a number of other beltway courses and being completely intrigued by not just the number of courses, but the also the evident skill of the designers.  I will regret having not played Beechtree (Goose Creek and Raspberry Falls are my only two beltway notches), but that joke about the golf balls and the money in the Golf Magazine article...lame.  Hope the starter didn't tell it that often.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
I can echo the way Scott Weersing and I were treated by the Beechtree Staff in the 27 holes we played over the 2 days back in late October , a great course and a real shame it is gone.

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
 I finally read the article yesterday. I would never use the word "puzzle" to describe a subtle , strategic course. But, generally ,they got the gist of my thoughts.
AKA Mayday

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »
Any simple online link to this article??

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »

This is precisely the point I was trying to make a couple weeks ago to another poster about not believing everything you read in today's media.

Btw, nice pic, Chip, you look nothing like I imagined. :)

I'd expect to see many courses plowed under for housing in the future - just too much money to be made for most to pass up.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Hey, it's the late, great Jay Flemma writing or ghosting that article.  Gie him a break.

APOLOGY:

This article was not written or ghosted by Jay.  I just wrongly assumed so knowing that Jay had written another article on the Beechtree/GCA event.

Jay, I should not have made that flip and incorrect comment, and very much apologise for doing so.

Rich
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:04:20 AM by Rich Goodale »

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
 I know Jay was involved in making the article happen but I was called by a Golf Magazine person .
AKA Mayday

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 11:32:58 AM »
Not sure if its the same article or not, but Jay has an article on The Golf Channels website about Beechtree's closing.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15155&select=27693

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
Chip:  I was misquoted, too, but that's okay.  Did you really give me credit for lining up the eighth hole on the clubhouse?  I never saw a plan for the clubhouse until  the course was pretty much finished ... we architects always get more credit than we deserve.  ;)

It looked lined up to me too.  Very nice accident.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »
 Jay's article came from our comments after the round (which occured at the halfway house not the veranda  and I wasn't clinking any beer glasses since I haven't had a beer in 18 years! ). He was using a pc to get all of the comments. Although I have never been to Ballyneal , the rest of his qoutes of mine are correct. The part about my comments being "intelligent" properly captures the thinking that was behind the words ;D
AKA Mayday

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »
Please let me retract my comment that Jay Flemma wrote or ghosted that article.  Jay has informed me that he did not and that is enough for me.  I have added to my offending comment above to apologise for my mistake there.  lease let me apoligise again here to Jay.  Sorry.

Rich

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:10 AM »
A quote from the article.

"The course mascot was a sheepdog, Kyle, who followed you for several holes. He'd bite the tires on your cart, chase away geese. I loved that dog! It's a sad, sad thing."

Kyle, you certainly get around the best facilities, don't you.  :D

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back