News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: SCOTLAND!!!
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »
That is darn cool you got to do the 36 hole day at Muirfield - I have told one and all it was one of the great golf experiences of my life when I did it - one of those "must do before you die" kinda things.  And very cool you got to hang with the members too, which indeed must have been different from the "visitor's day" - very darn fun in its own right, sharing the whole thing with a group of friends.

SO... did you take a caddie at Old Course?  If so, how was he?

Oh yes, next time, go west young man.. very cool you are already thinking about a next time!  That's how it goes... Scotland gets in one's blood and never really leaves.

TH
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:03:07 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
Kyle,

It was a pleasure meeting up and sharing so much deep fried food with you!  You haven't done Fife properly without a fish supper from the Anstruther Fish Bar.  Glad to hear the rest of your tour went as well as the first part and particularly glad to hear you got a chance to play Muirfield on a members only day.

I look forward to your photos and more detailed impressions.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Pretty impressive lineup Captain...  I think I'm tired and winded from just reading it  ;D .

No distilleries?

Very cool as well that you were able to hook up with GCAers as well.  Very envious.  Bound to drool when the pics come out.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Anthony Gray

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »

Kyle,

Any disapointments?

Anthony

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
You just met a member and got a round on Muirfield?

That is seriously lucky I know people who have lived in Scotland for 60 years and that opportunity has never presented itself.

I hope you enjoyed Scotland; we have had almost perfect weather by our standards for the duration of your visit.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Mark,
The pleasure was all mine. Thank you again for everything. I'm confident we'll cross paths again.

Vice Captain,
No distilleries. Booze is a bad call when you're walking 15 miles/day in the sun.

Mr. Gray,
I was dissappointed with Gullane, especially given what they charge for the #1 course. The Gleneagles courses offer compelling golf, but are also way overpriced. Then again, I paid next to nothing for my rounds at Dornoch and Muirfield, so I made out pretty well overall.

Still, I'd have been better off playing the Old Course and Kingsbarns again in lieu of those tracks at those prices.

Ross,
I was absurdly lucky. My host was a great. Very witty and generous, as were his pals in the clubhouse. My good fortune is rather unfathomable. One of his other pals , Ian, played with us at Carnoustie. Ian lives next door to PM Gordon Brown and has partnered with the venerable Rich Goodale in local matches. Small world.

The weather was actually better in Scotland than around my home in the San Francisco Bay during my trip. I'm very grateful. The bankruptcy is definitely worth the memories.

Huck, 
One of my foursome at the Old had a caddie (a very good one, caddied for David Gossett in the 1999 Walker Cup, lots of good stories). He helped everyone out with lines off of the tee and some yardages. Free advice isn't always bad. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »

Kyle

Welcome back and hope it was great fun.

Also looking forward to your in-depth thoughts and photos of your endeavours.

Am pleased you played 36 holes, which should have broken the ice and given you a real feel for each course. 

Can’t wait for your comments.

Melvyn

Thank you, MHM.

Fair warning: I have some nice things to say about the Castle Course.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »
Kyle - free advice is a great thing!  That seems perfect to me.....

And you had the trip of all trips my friend, for sure... as a great man once said to me, you can't put a price tag on a good time.

Interesting, when I played Gullane, it was cheap... yeah, paying top dollar for any of those wouldn't sit well with me either... drag they have discovered what visitors will pay, as have all the others.

TH

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Kyle

That's a great sounding trip.  You must have had a ball.  I look forward to hearing more about it.

I've played most of the courses on your itinerary but it's taken me more than 20 years to do so. Since I started typing this post I've been thinking as to whether it's best to do it in two weeks like you have or spend a lifetime doing it. My thought process hasn't formulated a satisfactory answer as yet!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tom Yost

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
Kyle - An awesome trip of which I can only dream!  I look forward to the photos.

Tom

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »

Kyle

As for the Castle Course, my complaint is with the location and what Kidd had to do to make it look and play as it does. I have also said that it may turn out to be a good course.

The problem is what had to be done to the land to make it what it is today. The site was never suitable for golf hence the millions and millions of pounds spent to create it. It was a complete rape and pillage of the landscape, ripping out the guts before making a Scottish Disneyworld out of what was left.

This is no New Course, no Jubilee or Eden for that matter. It is totally artificial and not IMHO becoming of St Andrews or The Links Trust. This course could have been made and dropped anywhere in the world, it is what it is, a betrayal to the golfing traditions of
St Andrews Golf. Its sole purpose is to make money as it has, no real soul left being destroyed in the turbulent destruction of the land during its birth.

I wait with interest for you comments and photos, but I for one will not be changing my opinion on The Castle Course anytime in the near future.

I am still sorry that I could not get you a round at Castle Stuart, because that I believe would have been an interesting report. Nevertheless, its sounds that you had great fun with your golf and that for me is the real purpose of the game. Also please to see your safe return home to friends and family.

Melvyn

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Melvyn,
For what it's worth, Kidd's take on the conceptual design for the Castle Course, as I understand it, was that the land there was ideal for golf upon a time but that farming had removed all of the topographical character. Thus, he had his crew reshape the land into a dunescape to provide a better canvas.

When I get around to posting photos and comments on The Castle Course, I'll focus on what I saw and how it played on that one specific day in the context of what I believe Kidd was trying to achieve (naturally through the lense of my own preferences). There's a lot to like, and a few things that the amateur architect in me would like to modify. I certainly prefer to have another golfing option in place of another Fairmont Hotel, but I understand your point of view.

Thank you again for trying to get me on at Castle Stuart. I hope to return someday and give it a whirl. It looks magnificent.

-Kyle

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »

Kyle

I do not nor have I ever adhered to the idea that it is OK to throw obscene amounts of money at converting a poor site into a course. For me it sends the wrong message to the public. Golf in its real form is not about money but about the challenge and enjoyment a golfer gets from playing the game.

The amounts spent over recent years on new courses have been IMHO bloody inexcusable and detrimental to the game of golf. The money, it would appear is being spent not necessary for the good of the game but for the mere fact that certain parties can affords these ridicules sums.  Site selection is, I still believe paramount to providing a good course. However, I will say that we have what we deserve for our total lack of real interest in GCA. That is why I still believe in this site and the importance of its message to those who want to read the thoughts of others on this subject.

Perhaps when so many in golf stop making so much money and they start to think about what golf and the real ordinary golfer wants, then things might improve. We here in GB&I are lucky with our club scene and the ability to play nearly every course in our islands.

Excuse my odd rant, but I believe that the fun and enjoyment that golf has given me over many years deserves, no, requires me to stand up for what I consider important as my way of giving something back to the game. Others are just willing to play golf and return zero to the game they protest that they love, but that as I said is not my way. As for the Castle Course, well money made that course and that is all that it is about IMHO.

Still looking forward to your unbiased report on the course.

Melvyn 

Sean_A

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »
Mark,
The pleasure was all mine. Thank you again for everything. I'm confident we'll cross paths again.

Vice Captain,
No distilleries. Booze is a bad call when you're walking 15 miles/day in the sun.

Mr. Gray,
I was dissappointed with Gullane, especially given what they charge for the #1 course. The Gleneagles courses offer compelling golf, but are also way overpriced. Then again, I paid next to nothing for my rounds at Dornoch and Muirfield, so I made out pretty well overall.

Still, I'd have been better off playing the Old Course and Kingsbarns again in lieu of those tracks at those prices.

Ross,
I was absurdly lucky. My host was a great. Very witty and generous, as were his pals in the clubhouse. My good fortune is rather unfathomable. One of his other pals , Ian, played with us at Carnoustie. Ian lives next door to PM Gordon Brown and has partnered with the venerable Rich Goodale in local matches. Small world.

The weather was actually better in Scotland than around my home in the San Francisco Bay during my trip. I'm very grateful. The bankruptcy is definitely worth the memories.

Huck, 
One of my foursome at the Old had a caddie (a very good one, caddied for David Gossett in the 1999 Walker Cup, lots of good stories). He helped everyone out with lines off of the tee and some yardages. Free advice isn't always bad. ;)

Kyle

Your take on Gullane seems to be quite common.  I would happy to return for £50, but reticent to do so for £85, however, I have seen a lot of courses in GB&I.  At $130 to play a private course on the sea with a lovely clubhouse, do you think Gullane is that over-priced?  When I put it in those terms, it doesn't seem so bad.  Even so, I doubt I will be returning soon.  As for Gleneagles, the rack rate of £155 is stupid.  But then I paid $365 to play Kiawah - that is stupid too.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Jansen

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
Edinburgh is a great city... spend some time walking around.

North Berwick was my favorite course.

Read In Search of Burningbush on the flight there.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »

Golf in its real form is not about money but about the challenge and enjoyment a golfer gets from playing the game.

Damn Straight!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
Kyle,

I am planning a very similar trip next May for my wife and myself.  The main difference will be 18 holes per day, with afternoons for castle exploration, scotch sipping, and rarely a replay round.  What was your perception of travel  between  your major destinations, such as Edinburgh-Dornoch, and Cruden Bay to St. Andrews?

David_Tepper

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
Brad -

From Edinbrugh Airport to Dornoch is about 200 miles. Figure it will take you 3 1/2 to 4 hours of driving.
From Glasgow Airport to Dornoch is about 225 miles. Figure  it will take you  4 to 4 1/2 hours of driving.
From Dornoch to Aberdeen is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive.
From Aberdeen to Edinburgh is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive. (not totally sure about that one!)

DT   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »
Dornoch to St Andrews a year ago was 3-1/2 hours, and we travelled via Dundee after checking the GPS mapping function on my iPhone - very cool.

Mark Arata

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
Heading over with David Kelly 8/29-9/13, hope our weather is as good as yours was.......and god I hope I find a golf swing between now and then........(although it has been 20 years now looking for one and I still havent found it yet)........

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »

Kyle

I do not nor have I ever adhered to the idea that it is OK to throw obscene amounts of money at converting a poor site into a course. For me it sends the wrong message to the public. Golf in its real form is not about money but about the challenge and enjoyment a golfer gets from playing the game.

The amounts spent over recent years on new courses have been IMHO bloody inexcusable and detrimental to the game of golf. The money, it would appear is being spent not necessary for the good of the game but for the mere fact that certain parties can affords these ridicules sums.  Site selection is, I still believe paramount to providing a good course. However, I will say that we have what we deserve for our total lack of real interest in GCA. That is why I still believe in this site and the importance of its message to those who want to read the thoughts of others on this subject.

Perhaps when so many in golf stop making so much money and they start to think about what golf and the real ordinary golfer wants, then things might improve. We here in GB&I are lucky with our club scene and the ability to play nearly every course in our islands.

Excuse my odd rant, but I believe that the fun and enjoyment that golf has given me over many years deserves, no, requires me to stand up for what I consider important as my way of giving something back to the game. Others are just willing to play golf and return zero to the game they protest that they love, but that as I said is not my way. As for the Castle Course, well money made that course and that is all that it is about IMHO.

Still looking forward to your unbiased report on the course.

Melvyn 

Again, I understand your point of view and don't disagree with any of your contentions. The motivations behind the building of the course and site selection are valid concerns. But, in the grand scale of golf developments, I can't imagine the Castle Course was/is anything near as costly to build and maintain as a place like The Madison Club in Palm Desert, CA. I also cringe at when I see the expansive fairways and lakes that permeate the ever-groing collection of golf courses in place like Dubai. Still, it may be that these expensive water gulpers are exactly what many "real ordinary golfers" want.

Just playing the Devil's advocate. I'm in your camp. Fight the good fight Melvyn!

My course report could not possibly be unbiased. I've seen a 150 other courses in the last 7 years. Plus, I read the posts of others on this board. I've been tainted!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »
Heading over with David Kelly 8/29-9/13, hope our weather is as good as yours was.......and god I hope I find a golf swing between now and then........(although it has been 20 years now looking for one and I still havent found it yet)........

Well, according to Mark Pearce, the U.K. had 4 nice days during all of 2008. I had about 12 during my 2 weeks there... I'll keep my fingers crossed on your behalf.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »
Kyle,

I am planning a very similar trip next May for my wife and myself.  The main difference will be 18 holes per day, with afternoons for castle exploration, scotch sipping, and rarely a replay round.  What was your perception of travel  between  your major destinations, such as Edinburgh-Dornoch, and Cruden Bay to St. Andrews?

I didn't mind the drives. I live in California where everything takes at least an hour to get to, even if it's only 10 miles away. At least Scotland is is covered in plants of vibrant greens, yellow and purples with ancient stone walls and sea views a plenty. California has many scenic places, but they are often separated by some ugly patches of 100 miles or more in diameter.

Edinburgh to Dornoch was a bit of a drive after being awake for 20 hours straight. It took 3.5 hours including one gas stop, as David claims. Cruden Bay to St. Andrews took slightly over 2 hours.

Royal Dornoch, Cruden Bay, and the Old Course are all worth a few hours of driving. ;)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
Kyle,
nice report, but where's the pics???!!!!
Gr8 2 meet U. Sounds like the rest of the trip was fantastic too.

Muchas gracias to Mark P for the kind invite. Crail is 2 good!!! On an architectural note, I noticed and we commented on how much the Craighead course depends on its greensites for any interest. They (Hanse) clearly spent more time and money on the green surrounds than any other part of the course. Ginormous, long, flat, relatively featureless fairways ending in hilarious, great fun, riotous greensites were the recurring feature for me. Pretty nice routing too though, using the back and forth to the ehm, FORTH so well!!! And the Balcomie of course never fails to impress (and remind me so much of my Uncle Bill McB too!!) The coolest 36 hole day on the planet?

Great day and thanks again,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »
Kyle,

Great itinerary!  Looking forward to your pictures.  How many base camps did you have?  Also, did you try the haggis and if so, what did you think?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back