News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: SCOTLAND!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Ed:  see my post above... was I wrong in advising Kyle to set up at least some meet-ups ahead of time, as expectations of always getting members to play with are a little far fetched?  I seemed to recall you reporting some disappointments.

And re getting around over there, again I'd say it's not THAT bad... your estimates are right... but isn't it also wise to maximize golf/fun time and minimize windshield time?

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »
Tom,
   I had tons of invites to get together, but the courses came first on my maiden voyage across the pond. I did specifically ask at every course to be paired with a local, but it did not happen once. I even told them I would be more than happy to pay the full green fee as I wasn't looking to decrease costs, but wanted to be able to get a local's insight into their course which I knew I wouldn't be able to glean everything from one or two rounds.
   When you make a tee time as a single, you will play as a single (except TOC), unless I just had a very unusual experience. As it was I golfed with someone on half my rounds which worked out to be a very good balance. Dornoch I golfed by myself, but had a chance to visit with David Tepper that evening and had dinner with Philip Gawith and his friends.
    On most of my golf trips I simply wake up early, golf 18-36 holes depending on the next destination, have dinner, go to sleep, repeat. I realize a vast majority of golfers don't enjoy that kind of pace, but I am always so energized on my golf trips that I don't notice it at all. My one concession to tons of golf is that I always use a pullcart on any trip longer than a couple of days. I have learned that that saves my legs and results in much better golf.
    Any drive less than 3 hours doesn't faze me. Before I moved I was fortunate enough to golf with Michael Robin at Riviera. Up until 1am packing, slept until 3am, drove down to LA, golfed with Michael and had a great time, returned home. Not everyone's cup of tea I realize. ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:39:49 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
Ed:  excellent.  Thus Kyle is wise to learn from your example... which was my point.

TH

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for relaying all of your personal experiences. It sounds like our intentions (1st international golf trip) are very congruent. I hope to play 36 holes on at least 10 of the 14 days I have between flights. I will definitely check into the hostels.

How is NC treating you? My folks are there this week helping my brother prep his house for selling. He is starting his fellowship at UCSF in July, after 10 years doing M.D., Ph. D., and residency at Chapel Hill.

All,
1-Reef Wilson suggested that making golf reservations in advance is not necessary as a single. Should I just keep a list of courses' phone numbers and call over the day before I want to play somewhere? I am aware of the walk--up policy at the Old Course. Should I reserve times in advance for the "big name" clubs (e.g. Carnoustie, Kingsbarn)?

2-Is it best to play the "big names" during the week to avoid crowds, hitting the "smaller" clubs during the weekdays?

Thanks again for all of your input and invitations. It will be good to finally get a genuine taste my ancestry.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Steve Salmen

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Kyle,

I think it's a good idea to call ahead, not necessarily for a tee time, but to be sure that you can play.

1.  There may be a club or inter club event
2.  The course could be closed ie for an outing
3.  Particularly important to call ahead on weekends.  Most clubs are private and their members, like ours, prefer weekends.
4.  Do not attempt to play TOC on a Sunday unless you make the cut at the Open.

Just my experience, and I've never been turned away.  Best of luck.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
It's a lot easier to email ahead and you can do it on your schedule that way.  It's nice when you show up and they say, "Oh hello Mr. Henderson, we're glad you are here."   Everybody at every club I ever visited in Scotland was just as nice as they could be.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
It's a lot easier to email ahead and you can do it on your schedule that way.  It's nice when you show up and they say, "Oh hello Mr. Henderson, we're glad you are here."   Everybody at every club I ever visited in Scotland was just as nice as they could be.
\

Sage counsel... and my experiences have been the same... with one exception:

MR. MONTY, AT TROON.

Not a nice man.

:'(

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
\

Sage counsel... and my experiences have been the same... with one exception:

MR. MONTY, AT TROON.

Not a nice man.

:'(

If wonder if that's where Jr gets his 'tude.......

I haven't made it out of Fife and East Lothian yet, except for Dornoch et al last trip, so haven't been to Troon yet.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »
Ah, Troon... funny thing is I went back years later and had a GREAT day there, doing their version of the Murfield thing... morning on Portland, lunch, afternoon on Old... and they couldn't have been more nice and more welcoming.  Of course for the price we paid they surely should have been....

I think we just caught Mr. Monty on a bad day.  Or maybe not.  But no need to cast aspersions... people are people and even Scots are not universally perfect.  We save that for the Irish.

;D

Brent Carlson

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »
Kyle,

Congrats on your trip.  I did the same as a solo last October for eight days.  Although it may seem intimidating, there are lots of advantages.  You can pretty much get on any course you would like, and can create your itinerary on the fly (should you choose).

The people of Scotland could not have been more accommodating.  You will likely find a local or "Yankee" for every game.  I was able to play a lot of good courses, including: Royal Dornoch, TOC, and the course east of Gullane.

My tips:

1. Definitely check out Allan Ferguson's book.

2. Be careful if you have not driven on the left side of the road before. 

3. Don't forget to explore the Scotland outside of golf.  36 holes a day is a lot of golf and definitely can wear you down.

4. Spend more time playing and less driving.  Play the good courses more than once.  Scotland will be there on your next trip.

4. Have fun!  Cannot beat the freedom of a solo trip.

Good luck.  Feel free to PM me should you like.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 04:52:48 AM »
Ed,

Thanks for relaying all of your personal experiences. It sounds like our intentions (1st international golf trip) are very congruent. I hope to play 36 holes on at least 10 of the 14 days I have between flights. I will definitely check into the hostels.

How is NC treating you? My folks are there this week helping my brother prep his house for selling. He is starting his fellowship at UCSF in July, after 10 years doing M.D., Ph. D., and residency at Chapel Hill.

All,
1-Reef Wilson suggested that making golf reservations in advance is not necessary as a single. Should I just keep a list of courses' phone numbers and call over the day before I want to play somewhere? I am aware of the walk--up policy at the Old Course. Should I reserve times in advance for the "big name" clubs (e.g. Carnoustie, Kingsbarn)?

2-Is it best to play the "big names" during the week to avoid crowds, hitting the "smaller" clubs during the weekdays?

Thanks again for all of your input and invitations. It will be good to finally get a genuine taste my ancestry.

Kyle

It sounds like you are wind shield time willing.  Here are a few suggestions:

1. If there are courses you really want to see, book your holiday around them.  There is no point in going through all the trouble you will to walk away disappointed.  But, be choosy about the must sees or your itinerary may feel like a forced march.

2. Get your weekends sorted.  Try to play the must sees on the weekend even if they charge a premium.  This frees up the much easier weekdays to poke your nose about and see where it takes you.  Plus, you may get lucky and hook up with some members for a game as these clubs are much more used during the weekend.  I have on more than one occasion been approached by members looking to get out when the tee was crowded.  Of course it was too late too save the green fee, but they may invite you back on another day at great savings and you will probably get some good advice about lesser courses to play.

3. If you are looking to walk up a load, get detailed schedules of visitors times and what is available before you leave. 

4. If you are looking to walk up a load, do it in areas with lots of good courses.  St Andrews for instance is a great walk up town.  All the courses can be played on the day at any time of the year provided you know the schedule of closures, comps etc. 

5. If you walk off a course and think it is great, play it again even if it is the next day.  It doesn't make much sense to go in search of when your car is already in the lot of a great course.  Often times, clubs will allow a second round at the day rate if you decide to go again on the same day even though that wasn't the original intent.  This is another great thing about weekday golf over here.  The secondary courses are generally empty on weekdays so going back out isn't often too hard. 

6. Take up invites whenever possible unless it mucks up a must see.  You never know where it may lead. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
Kyle,
    I would formulate a list of must see courses. Then prioritize them and start emailing to assess availability. There will be at least one course that isn't available on your chosen day, so then you have to start moving things around, and with that framework started you just fill in the holes.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 02:20:10 AM »
Two other options

1 Find an open competition to play in.  Will have 'interesting' companions and as many are at weekends you can get a discounted round when the course might otherwise be closed to you.

http://www.scottishgolf.org/index.cfm?objectid=9433383D-CE9C-8542-E9CB510BC6A412D1

2 Join a club for a week.  Haven’t got time to check which but, some of Crail/Elie/Leven/Lundin links will let you join for a week.  If you based yourself in St Andrews you could play an expensive round in the morning and then go to "your club" in the afternoons.  You might make some friends and it would also help with weekend access.

Enjoy
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
Two other options

1 Find an open competition to play in.  Will have 'interesting' companions and as many are at weekends you can get a discounted round when the course might otherwise be closed to you.

http://www.scottishgolf.org/index.cfm?objectid=9433383D-CE9C-8542-E9CB510BC6A412D1

2 Join a club for a week.  Haven’t got time to check which but, some of Crail/Elie/Leven/Lundin links will let you join for a week.  If you based yourself in St Andrews you could play an expensive round in the morning and then go to "your club" in the afternoons.  You might make some friends and it would also help with weekend access.

Enjoy

You can also join the St Andrews Golf Club for a week (25 quid I think) and have a place to hang your hat and change your shoes on the 18th fairway of the Old Course.  I would have done that last trip except for the amount of time we spent down at Lundin and Elie.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
Uncle Bill,
in this wonderfully enlightened country  ;D you can even join the St Andrews Club FOR ONE DAY for a Fiver.

Kyle, if you're interested go here:

http://www.thestandrewsgolfclub.co.uk/

and click on the 'Facilities' link.

and be sure to let us know when you're in Fife as I'd be happy to host at Balbirnie (if you can tear yourself away from the more obvious delights...)

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ed_getka

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »
Uncle Bill,
in this wonderfully enlightened country  ;D you can even join the St Andrews Club FOR ONE DAY for a Fiver.

Kyle, if you're interested go here:

and click on the 'Facilities' link.

and be sure to let us know when you're in Fife as I'd be happy to host at Balbirnie (if you can tear yourself away from the more obvious delights...)

cheers,
FBD.

Kyle,
    You most definitely should take up Martin on any offer to golf together. A great guy to spend time with.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:56 AM »
Kyle

There's 3 "must-sees" for mine..TOC / Royal Dornoch and Nth Berwick....

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
Kyle

Definitely in my itinerary. In fact, my current plan is to play Dornoch first and North Berwick last. Best bookends ever?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

It actually says to inquire at the bar. I can't think of a better place to recruit members for any club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Kyle

Definitely in my itinerary. In fact, my current plan is to play Dornoch first and North Berwick last. Best bookends ever?

My great trip in 2007 to play COT (The Old Course in Reverse) with John Krystynak started and finished with rounds at North Berwick!  It's that convenient to Edinburgh Airport.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:01 PM »
Kyle,

I offer up three pieces of advice:

1. Don't rush around trying to do it all at once - pick an area - so you have time for other things too. Trust me - it won't be the last trip over - Scotland gets in your blood.

2. Play at least one smaller club to enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere.

3. Buy and bring the best rainsuit you can get.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:11:58 PM by Ian Andrew »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
Kyle,

I offer up three pieces of advice:

1. Don't rush around trying to do it all at once - pick an area - so you have time for other things too. Trust me - it won't be the last trip over - Scotland gets in your blood.

2. Play at least one smaller club to enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere.

3. Buy and bring the best rainsuit you can get.

Agree 100% with #3.  And if you bring one, it won't rain!

Don't bother with an umbrella.  If you need it the wind will probably be blowing so hard it will just get destroyed!

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
Kyle,

Got your message second hand but couldn't reply direct. Can you contact me on niall.carlton@hotmail.co.uk. Basically should be ok for 4-6 June although comp on morning of 6th so it would need to be afternoon.

Cheers

Niall

ps. don't believe everything you read about the Scottish weather, just occassionally we do get sunshine so bring some sunscreen.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »
Thank you again for all that provided such useful input. Based on recommendations, my tentative course lineup is as follows. I will, god willing, have the good fortune to meet up with a couple of my GCA brothers in the Highlands and Fife as scheduled, but would dearly love to meet a few more from the treehouse around Aberdeen and/or Edinburgh. I'd love as much company as can be managed on my first international trek.

Date         Priority      Second Round (?)
Sunday 5/24   Arrival            
M    25      Boat of Garten   Tain
T    26      R. Dornoch*
W   27      Golspie        Brora            
Th   28      Nairn      Fortrose & Rosemarkie
F   29      Cruden Bay
Saturday 5/30      Royal Aberdeen   Murcar         
Sunday   5/31      Crail- Balcombie*   Crail-Craigshead*
M   1      Carnoustie (Champ)   Panmure
T   2      St. Andrews (Old)   (New)   
W   3      Kingsbarns (8:00...)   Elie   
Th   4      Castle (#7)
F   5      Gleneagles (Kings)   (Queens)
Saturday 6/6      Gullane (#1)      Gullane #2
Sunday      6/7      N. Berwick (West)   
M      6/8   Departure

* With GCA cyberfriend

Can anybody recommend reasonablly priced accomodations convenient to these courses and appropriate for a  male of modest means travelling alone?

Clean hostels or modest bed & breakfasts in safe neighborhoods are desired.

Muchas gracias, amigos!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
I can't speak to another persons stamina and wish for variety but for my part I would crash somewhere around Sunday the 31st and need three days to recover. I would suggest one or more of the following options:

A) treating the majority of those second rounds as unlikely optional add-ons if you really want that many days in a row of golf combined with that much windshield time

B) taking a day off the schedule some time around the end of the first week to catch your breath if you really want to play 36 a day and make multiple changes of region

C) arrange your itenerary with only the Highlands and Fife as places to stay, leaving out the overnight up around Aberdeen (i.e. just do a drive-by at Cruden Bay and get to Fife a day earlier)

D) or just plain old remove the 6-8 lowest priority of those 24 total courses and play the remainder of your schedule

It just seems too much. Even for those who want to squeeze in as much as possible on the "It's Monday so this must be Carnoustie" plan there's a limit to what your mind, body and soul can absorb in fourteen days. But again, you know your own limits and they may be very different from mine (very, very different in fact ;-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back