News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Gill

Re: New courses you're most looking forward to being opened
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »
Forgive me if I jump aboard the "can't wait for CommonGround" bandwagon.

It's an interesting course on a lot of levels - waiting for spring......
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
Hickory Stick
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
I too liked the photos of CommonGround . . . so much so that I joined the club, sight unseen.  Well, okay, I admit the outlay wasn't too substantial. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
That pine tree was planted twenty or thirty years ago.  I just didn't take it down.

The hole is a medium/short par 5 with the second shot coming substantially uphill toward the clubhouse ... you can't see the green very well from the fairway, nor whatever greenside bunkers we decided to create.  And the pine tree was there ... my thinking was that it would stop everyone from just bombing away at the green for fear they would wind up behind it for their third shots, and make them play left unless they were sure they could get past the tree.  I know that's not "classic" design by most people's standards, but I'll bet it works.

I am proud of the course but I hardly think it's going to be the most talked-about new course of the year.  It's just a nice story that it is public and affordable, leading a category that has pretty much vanished.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:09:10 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
Hmmm... public, affordable golf. I think you may be on to something here, Tom  :)
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »
Hmmm... public, affordable golf. I think you may be on to something here, Tom  :)

Public, affordable, architecturally interesting golf near major population centers is the only way that golf will thrive, and possibly even survive, during our grandchildren's times.

Ed Oden

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 12:24:32 AM »
How about Ballyhack?  The construction photos of Lester George's work there look terrific.

Ed 

Josh_Lesnik

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 01:03:45 AM »

-Bahia De Los Suenos!
-Common Ground (for all the previously stated reasons)
-Lost Farm (Barnbougle 2) - although I still havent seen the first
-I will admit to some curiosity for Tiger's course(s)
-Of course...Old Mac & Cabot Links

Mark_F

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »
St Andrews Beach Gunnamatta course - four years is a long time for a course to be opened. :P

Brett Waters

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »
The Lonnie Poole Golf Course @ NC State.....That way I don't have to drive 45 minutes on the weekend to play a decent public course!

Looks as if it is going to be pretty darn tough. Par 4's stretching to 549 yards, 486 yards, and 483 yards and a par 5 that measures 651 yards.

http://www.lonniepoolegolfcourse.com/default.asp...Not much on there yet.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 05:48:19 AM »
I'm still waiting for the Carthage Club, or even Papazian Hills...........

Screw those, I want to see Goodale Glen.

Tom

The latest working title is Contrarian Corner, and the land we are trying to secure is adjacent to  Happy Huckaby Hollow Golf Club and Holistic Healing Center (or HHHGCHHC, for short).

Rich

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
Rich:
Love it!  And it's a heck of an idea, because you know the one would just not be right without the other.

;D

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »
Ballyhack.  It's unbelievable already.

WW

Jim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
Can anyone supply opening dates on some or all these courses? 

Brian Joines

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
I'm not sure when Ballyhack opens but I'm very excited to see the final result. It looks like Lester and company have done a fine job.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
CommonGround opens May 23rd.

I remember hitting 3 irons in the dirt from the 18th fairway there with the other interns, trying to decide if the placement of the tree was too severe. I think that Tom is right though, that it may not be the most strategic, classic, or artful way to create an interesting second shot into what is essentially an unframed target, but it did work. Also, it allows for players to flirt with another bunker in the left of the second landing area for a better angle and closer third to the green. The bunkering is very different than the layout map on holes 5, 13, and 14.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
How about ones I would like to see get back on track?

Wicked Pony, 9 holes done, need the second 9
The Tribute. This one seems to have fallen completely off the radar as it is no longer in C&C's list of projects.
Sundoon

Do you detect a regional bias?

;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Trey Kemp

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
Cleburne Golf Links in Cleburne, Texas opens in late June/early July.  The course is on a nice piece of land next to Lake Pat Cleburne.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

John Burzynski

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Nicklaus' Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, MI.   http://www.harborshoresdevelopment.org/

I'll just have to figure out how to get access to the course when it opens.  There have been several intriguing legal battles over land and surrounding parkland on lake Michigan that is affected by this course.  It will probably be a 'one and done' play for me, more out of curiosity.

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
Nicklaus' Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, MI.   http://www.harborshoresdevelopment.org/

I'll just have to figure out how to get access to the course when it opens.  There have been several intriguing legal battles over land and surrounding parkland on lake Michigan that is affected by this course.  It will probably be a 'one and done' play for me, more out of curiosity.

John-

Is it supposed to be private?

Looking at the pictures of the construction the course looks ok...I'm guessing a $100-$150 greens fee if public?
H.P.S.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »
what's silva working on currently?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:29 AM »
Common Ground looks very interesting. Where is it located?
I am interested to see Dormie Club.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

John Burzynski

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »

John-

Looking at the pictures of the construction the course looks ok...I'm guessing a $100-$150 greens fee if public?

Pat:
I believe that the course will be private / member only, and I assume a green fee in that $150 range will probably be typical for this type of development in a large housing / condo complex if the course is open to the public.   A lot of private courses and exclusive perks exist in SW Michigan due to the high number of Chicago residents who have second homes in the area as summer getaways, as the area is only 1.5-2 hours away from most of Chicago.

Three or 4 holes will run next to the lake (that is the whole legal property and environment argument with a presently existing park on the lake) and I am sure it will be a nice but overly priced course.    There have been several legal battles, but I believe based on what I have seen in the local news that the legal options are exhausted for stopping the courses development.

PCCraig

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »

John-

Pat:
I believe that the course will be private / member only, and I assume a green fee in that $150 range will probably be typical for this type of development in a large housing / condo complex if the course is open to the public.   A lot of private courses and exclusive perks exist in SW Michigan due to the high number of Chicago residents who have second homes in the area as summer getaways, as the area is only 1.5-2 hours away from most of Chicago.

Three or 4 holes will run next to the lake (that is the whole legal property and environment argument with a presently existing park on the lake) and I am sure it will be a nice but overly priced course.    There have been several legal battles, but I believe based on what I have seen in the local news that the legal options are exhausted for stopping the courses development.

It really is amazing that the local summer economy is good enough that they are selling homes and able to support a new private golf course.

It's been about 4 years since I have been to Benton Harbor (I have made the trip 3 times to play in the Western Am...only qualified once, perhaps a good thing I didn't go pro  ::)  ;D   ) If I remember correctly isn't downtown Benton Harbor almost semi-industrial? 
H.P.S.

Doug Wright

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Common Ground looks very interesting. Where is it located?

Denver
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back