News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jonathan Cummings

Phil a little rusty?
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:54 AM »
Defending champ 5 over opening round at Scottsdale just a few slots above last place?  Dead last in driving accuracy hitting just 1 out of 5 fairways?  I guessing this is just an outlyer but....

JC

John Nixon

Re: Phil a little rusty?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
I thought he lost the playoff last year, and he's still one stroke better than the former world #1 player.      ;)

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »
I was thinking about making a similar post about Phil.  The last two or three years he has really lost it.  I wonder what is going on with his game?  He keeps talking about trying to change his swing with Butch Harmon.  I think a lot of players are always talking about " changing' their swing.  Phil couldn't hit a fairway to save his life yesterday. Maybe Phil should just tell Pelz and Harmon to take a hike and get all the voices out of his head. Although he is ranked 4th in the world, I honestly wouldn't put him in the top 20!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »
I think it's his equipment. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
I've got two of the three things he has going for him - an attractive, wonderful wife and some great kids. If I also had a brazillion dollars I don't know how worried I'd get about hitting fairways for a living either. Let's face it, not everyone has a killer instinct.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »
I've said this before, I'll say it again...Phil's done!
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

David Neveux

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »
Everyone has a bad round, I wouldn't worry about my boy Mil Phickelson, he's still a top player with a rediculous short game.  As soon as he starts hitting it better, he'll start winning majors again.  I think he'll probably get one this year, maybe two.  You'll are haters, which is a joke.  I would also agree with the attractiveness of his wife and money in the bank thing ;D

Keep up the good work hefty, i mean lefty. 

Nev

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Everyone has a bad round, I wouldn't worry about my boy Mil Phickelson, he's still a top player with a rediculous short game.  As soon as he starts hitting it better, he'll start winning majors again.  I think he'll probably get one this year, maybe two.  You'll are haters, which is a joke.  I would also agree with the attractiveness of his wife and money in the bank thing ;D

Keep up the good work hefty, i mean lefty. 

Nev

David,

He did have a marvellous short game,  before he ever went to Pelz, however in his penultimate tournament last year I think he took three or four shots to travel twenty odd yards.

His driving is awful and his physical condition looks absent without leave.

We may have seen the last of him as a contender.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
Looking on the bright side...

He's still a full stroke away from being in last place, so he's got that going for him.

John Keenan

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
So Phil misses the cut at the FBR? 
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »

Looks like no confidence in his driving, and I'm not sure that isn't creeping into his short game.
He can get that back.    He'll get at least one more major, and 4 or 5 others.

He had a great short game before Pelz so I hope he hasn't started to over-analyze the short game.

The mind doesn't really help once you get to thinking too much.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »
So Phil misses the cut at the FBR? 

This is putting it nicely, unless he birdies out the back 9 or something

Rick Sides

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
I honestly think Phil will not win a major ever again.  He just seems like he has too many thoughts and too many voices.  Golf is really a feel game and whenever you think too much or have too many people telling you what to do or not do, your game crumbles.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »
Four holes to go and no par 5s, one over for the day, six shots off the projected cut line.

David Neveux

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »
So he misses the cut at the FBR, who cares? 

He'll regain his swing, he's still at top player / contender, but  hey I like the guy so I'm obviously bias.  We'll wait and see, he's too good not make a comeback, but I don't think he's that FAR removed from his former glory.  His first victory at Augusta was the last fun Master's I've watched.  I'm predicting good things, so he misses the cut at his first event of the year, big whup.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
In 2005, Phil started his year with a T-56. Two weeks later he won the first of back-to-back tour events with combined totals of 36 under par.

In 2007 he started T-45, T-51, Cut. The next week he shot -20 and won at Pebble.

Everybody really needs to just calm down.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
Phil is no steady Eddie.  He is always going to have a few events where his game doesn't show up.

I did read that he spent the offseason working with devices to train his eyes for putting, and that is more cause for concern than his current score. 

John Keenan

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
Wow a device to train his eyes for putting.  Seems he would benefit more from practice an playing than watching infomercials. Next thing he will be wearing a Swing Jacket

I agree with the posts about Peltz. Phil came out with a killer short game and on occasion it still shows itself. I think the Rocket Scientist has not really helped Phil's short game.  Way too much thought and far too little feel
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Greg Holland

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »
In typical Phil fashion, though, he said after his first round that he was striking the ball much better than his score would indicate.  Of course, he only hit 3 fairways yesterday.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »
I think Matt does provide a voice of sanity and reason...well said!

But its still kinda funny to think that Phil may have a bit of the tin cup thing going on with gadgets and otherwise.  Was Dr. Molly Griswald spotted in the crowd asking for her stuff back?   ;D

Edit:

Phil finished at +7 for the tourney, but the cut line is only 7 shots away..who knows!!  :)

On the bright side, it looks like he won't finish in the bottom 10, could be worse..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:28:45 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Keenan

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
Interesting that defending champ JB Holmes missed the cut as well. Golf can be a funny game sometimes!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
JB Holmes is done as a contender.   ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
In 2005, Phil started his year with a T-56. Two weeks later he won the first of back-to-back tour events with combined totals of 36 under par.

In 2007 he started T-45, T-51, Cut. The next week he shot -20 and won at Pebble.

Everybody really needs to just calm down.

:)

David Neveux

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
CONGRATS TO HEFTY, I MEAN LEFTY.  WELL DONE, BUT DID ANYONE SEE HIS OUTFITS??  I think this victory and subsequent ones should carry an asterisk because of his shirts. 

Nev

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back