News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: Monty?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
Ollie played in our Foundation's fundraiser pro am a couple years ago.  The kicker was that he played the day after he had lost the playoff in san Diego.  He drove up that night (about 2 hour drive) came to the cocktail party and was absolutely incredible with everyone.  A total class act.

Not only that, I have to wonder how much better his already-outstanding career could have turned out, without those debilitating injuries. 

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
Monty always comes across to me at least as someone quite smug and not a very friendly guy...then there was that rules incident...then his whining about slow play before he gagged up on his approach to 18 (an even bigger choke than Leftys since he had hit his tee ball in the fairway)...........
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 04:00:23 AM »
Monty always comes across to me at least as someone quite smug and not a very friendly guy...then there was that rules incident...then his whining about slow play before he gagged up on his approach to 18 (an even bigger choke than Leftys since he had hit his tee ball in the fairway)...........
Interesting.  He's always struck me as one of the few tour players I'd actually enjoy a beer with.  He's witty and intelligent according to those I know who know or have met him.  That may not be how he comes across in the States, where he's clearly out of his element, or after a bad round (but hy should he be cheery and charming when he's had a bad day at the office) and he certainly takes himself too seriously at times.  As to his choke at WF, yes, that's a major he really, really should have won.  It makes no difference whatsoever to his suitability as Ryder Cup captain.

It's interesting that it was, apparently, Paul McGinley who first suggested that Monty should do the job this time round.  He has never struck me as close to Monty but he is another player who has been in and around Ryder Cup teams with Monty and played in the Seve Trophy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »
I believe there are some links to stories about the Monty "improved lie" issue at Geoff Shackelford's website.

Now that would be a shocker  ::)

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
Sam,

Good point! Though I have to admit that as a European I'm looking forward to seeing how Corey Pavin does as Captain. I'm not the longest hitter myself, so seeing how this little guy could still keep pace with some of the big hitters (like his 4wood to the last at Shinnecock) was always good to watch.

Cheers,

James

I just don't know what it takes to be a good captain, I don't think there is one tried and true way that gets the job done. Many different styles have gotten the job done, I suppose at the end of the days you're only smart if your players are making their putts.

There's a 50/50 chance that a given captain will get the job done.
Does anyone think the players really need "inspiring"?
The Captain's job may be the most over rated position in all sports.

One wonders how they even pull the trigger the other 30 weeks of the year without their Captain for inspiration ??? ???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back