News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Old Head or Nefyn & District
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:02:03 PM »
A couple of my friends told me some of the holes at Nefyn (Wales) are sounder architecturally than "most of Old Head's  holes".  Does anyone have  a  preference  between these two courses, especially in regard to the variety,strategy or fun to play qualities at the respective layouts ?

thanks

David Stamm

Re: Old Head or Nefyn & District
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
A couple of my friends told me some of the holes at Nefyn (Wales) are sounder architecturally than "most of Old Head's  holes".  Does anyone have  a  preference  between these two courses, especially in regard to the variety,strategy or fun to play qualities at the respective layouts ?

thanks

I have not played either, Mark, but I have often heard that Old Head is "all sizzle and no steak", as the holes are crammed in certain spots, supposedly.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
Mark:

Nefyn is wilder and more natural.  About half the course is inland, and only half on a narrow peninsula which includes blind shots, tees hitting over the previous green, and a giant sink hole in play.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
Your friend is crazy.  Nefyn may have three holes that are very good on the cliff top, but Old Head is much much better.  Old Head takes hits but I found it to be a solid golf course.  I did not find that holes were cramped.  Lahinch gets a bye on cramped because it is beloved.  Old Head suffers because the golf cannot measure up to its spectacular location.  The problem with Old Head is that it is so terribly expensive to play and out of sight to join.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Sabino

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
Old Head will knock your socks off, you will be so blown away by the terrain and scenery that a minute analysis of the architectural features will soon seen irrelevent. Old Head is not a popular course on this discussion board, but is great, none-the-less. I suggest you go with an open mind and tell us your view of the course when you return.
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Tom Dunne

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
Tommy Williamsen: I dunno, I think Nefyn's got more than just the peninsula holes going for it. #1, playing straight out to sea, is a solid opener, and the tee ball on #2 is one of the most exciting shots on the course. #3 and #4 aren't great, but at least are edge-of-the-earth golf. I agree that the second half of the front nine does lose a bit of steam--that should be obvious to anyone. Nefyn's peninsula holes, though, are pretty unforgettable.

I haven't played Old Head, so I'm not drawing any comparisons....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
Tommy Williamsen: I dunno, I think Nefyn's got more than just the peninsula holes going for it. #1, playing straight out to sea, is a solid opener, and the tee ball on #2 is one of the most exciting shots on the course. #3 and #4 aren't great, but at least are edge-of-the-earth golf. I agree that the second half of the front nine does lose a bit of steam--that should be obvious to anyone. Nefyn's peninsula holes, though, are pretty unforgettable.

To be fair I drove way out of my way to play Nefyn.  I had just played Royal St. David's and was heading back to England.  I decided to take the time to play the course.  I had heard that it was the "Cypress Point" of Wales.  I wasn't expecting that but thought, wow let me give it a go. Half way through the front nine I walked in and began on 11(if I recall the back "nine"is really a back eight.) and played the cliff top holes about three times.  I have to say that 12 is the most unusual hole I have ever played.  I played the back tees and had no clue where to hit it.  I hit it out toward the ocean found it and saw this gaping hole in the earth.  Now where do I hit it?  It was the highlight of the course.  I thought 13 was terrific and 15 and 16 very good.  But I wish I had gone to Aberdovey instead.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Dunne

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »

To be fair I drove way out of my way to play Nefyn.  I had just played Royal St. David's and was heading back to England.  I decided to take the time to play the course.  I had heard that it was the "Cypress Point" of Wales.  I wasn't expecting that but thought, wow let me give it a go. Half way through the front nine I walked in and began on 11(if I recall the back "nine"is really a back eight.) and played the cliff top holes about three times.  I have to say that 12 is the most unusual hole I have ever played.  I played the back tees and had no clue where to hit it.  I hit it out toward the ocean found it and saw this gaping hole in the earth.  Now where do I hit it?  It was the highlight of the course.  I thought 13 was terrific and 15 and 16 very good.  But I wish I had gone to Aberdovey instead.

Yes, I don't blame you. I *love* Aberdovey. In a ten round split with Nefyn, I'd go Aberdovey 9-1.  Nefyn's scenery is all-world, but I could play Aberdovey dawn to dusk until I'm blue in the face.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »
Mark,

Old Head is a spectacular sight that folks in Kinsale used to enjoy for picnics, but it really isn't much of a golf course if you are looking for interesting architectural features. Shortly after the course opened I was working in London and decided to fly over to have a look. After about an hour I was bored and headed back into town. Hoping to be more impressed I did go back and play it a few times, but my original impression was confirmed. If I go back to Kinsale, it will be for the food not Old Head.
Tim Weiman

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »
I think both courses are ok with a few standout holes and both are well over-hyped.  Neither really does much for me in terms of wanting to revisit, but both are worth seeing once if you are in the area and it isn't too much hassle.  Old Head is certainly more solid hole to hole and importantly it has better turf (much of Nefyn is very meadowy and gets a bit mushy).  However, if forced to choose I would take the price tag of Nefyn 10 out of 10, but believe me, I have no intention of playing Nefyn 10 more times. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful info....

I'm curious if either course has an outstanding group of par three holes.  I realize that each course has exceptional  scenery, but does either course have an ensemble of par threes that are very well designed, varied, or highly memorable to play ?

Dan Boerger

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
I'll chime in here on Old Head. The 5 par 3's there are solid IMO, but none are particularly unique from a design standpoint. 16 may be the most demanding 1 shotter, but I really like 7 and 11 for a bit more variety (their surrounds have more options).

However, the "scenery" is so linked to the hole that I don't recommend one even try to separate it. The sheer magnitude of the drop to sea level, the endless horizon and the exposure to the elements are very much part of the hole.

Old Head is expensive and I think the price alone makes a few golfers bristle, but I've never been there where I didn't have a top notch experience.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
I have to concur -- the feelings against Old Head have plenty to do with the top tier price one needs to pay. No doubt there are several holes that are frankly mediocre -- but one would have to be blind to ignore the really superb holes that are present. The other third of the course is about above average holes.

I like Nefyn & District but it doesn't have anything close to the overall quality of holes you find at Old Head.

I have to say I disgaree with what Tim W said. Old Head is not to be confused with the likes of the legitimate links of Ireland but it's more than just a scenic marvel as so many detractors are quick to say.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
There is a golf course in Hong Kong (whose name escapes me yet again) which is built on a peninsula. Are there any photographs available of the place I'm thinking of?

mark chalfant

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:27 AM »
Mark,

Robin Nelson's team did a public course there for the Jockey Club  in 2008. Some impressive photos the firm's website,
www.nelsonhaworth.com

Mark Hissey

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
That's the one I was thinking of. Thank you Mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back