News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dunlop_White

Flagsticks!!!
« on: June 05, 2002, 10:30:42 AM »
There are methods of restoration that contribute to “the look”, the original look of a classic design.  Lesco, Inc. used to offer the traditional, wooden-style flagsticks which golfers would have found in the early part of the 20th Century. The antique 'Woody Sticks' are thick (1.5")and short being just six(6) and seven(7) feet in height. They come in wide, green/white stripes and wide, black/white stripes. They are presently used at venues throughout Scotland and Ireland and are catching-on at classic designs throughout our country as well. Brad Klein and Ryan Blair, superintendent at Holston Hills, claim that these flagsticks contribute significantly to the traditional look.  I agree!

Lesco has discontinued the woody flagsticks though. Are there any alternatives???

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Dunlop_White

Re: Flagsticks!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 03:01:39 PM »
Mark Stovall at Lookout Mountain GC near Chattanooga, TN. I believe they may have made their own flagsticks which 'look' like the LESCO brand.

Ryan Blair at Holston Hills, Chris Sykes at Cherokee, Mr.Corbit at Hilton Head all are familiar with these classic sticks as has been conveyed to me recently by email.

Everyone stresses the six (6)footers! I know that they looked great at Holston!

Just got word that Cheesebrough, Inc. makes the Lesco type which I am looking for.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
Has anyone played a course that has wooden flagsticks as made by companies such as Cheesebrough (http://cheesebrough.com/)? Have any Superintendents had any luck with wooden accessories?

What does everyone else think of this style of flagstick?

H.P.S.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
I have a tough time spotting the flagstick on elevated greens with trees behind, especially if there's no wind to move the flag. This one would make it even tougher to see -- but it looks cool close up.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
Has anyone played a course that has wooden flagsticks as made by companies such as Cheesebrough (http://cheesebrough.com/)? Have any Superintendents had any luck with wooden accessories?

Pat,

Sutton Bay uses wooden flagsticks and bunker rakes, and they certainly give a vintage feel to such a modern golf course. I really liked them, but there are no trees at Sutton Bay, so visibility may be an issue at a parkland course.  I looked into these for my club awhile back, and they are expensive. I belong to a city course in a residential area, and invariably we lose dozens of flagsticks and bunker rakes each year to neighborhood kids sneaking on the course at night - and therefore, deemed it too expensive an option.

TK

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Tyler,

Why doesn't your course doesn't have a grounds crew that brings rakes and flag sticks in at night?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
Ronald,

Good question, I've asked this before and with the cost of labour what it is, they deem it not worth the effort. I feel that even if it is a net zero, I'de rather be paying the club staff than buying more flags & rakes, plus, it may give the kids less of a reason to hop the fence.

Tyler

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »

The Kingsley Club has flagsticks made by Cheesebrough - I love them.  The look great, feel great, and add to the experience.

The only downside to them for me is the last 10 inches into the cup - they are metal and don't give very much when a ball hits them with any pace.  I have had several chips (and putts during the Hundred Hole Hike) rejected due to the metal base...

Other than that, I think they are amazing and glad that the club made the investment in them...

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
Tyler, perhaps consider paying those 'neighbourhood' kids to pick the flags up at night - pocket money.
@theflatsticker

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100362943305524&set=a.10100362935251664.3112240.2329705&type=3&theater

The above was my attempt at posting a picture of myself and a flagstick at Arcadia Bluffs.  Have yet to see another course which featured the small ones.

hhuffines

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
Does anyone know who makes the natural type of flagpole used at Kingsley, and I believe, Crystal Downs?  Thanks !

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
You'd think this would be a good product to compliment the main production of pool cues.  I had met the owner or manager of Viking Cues years ago.  Their website says they are looking for new products to expend to.  This seems a no-brainer. 

http://shop.vikingcue.com/about-us

Certainly they have access to the wood and can lathe taper them to custom, quite easily, and it wouldn't be anywhere near as precise of work as making top quality billiards cues.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
I tend to like flagsticks that are very stiff and as such more sensitive to indicating wind direction

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »
Tyler, perhaps consider paying those 'neighbourhood' kids to pick the flags up at night - pocket money.

Wow, BINGO

The simple and very obvious ideas are often the best one :)

Chris,

as a boy quite a few of the moorland course used to have full metal flagsticks, thick at the top and thin at the bottom. They not only didn't have any give in them the ball seemed to ricochet of them at a higher speed and a decided clang. I can however tell you the biggest challenge to a 6-7 year old golfer was their removal and replacement in the hole due to their incredible weight.

Jon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
In the UK it would cost a ridiculous amount of money at many golf clubs to have someone go out and collect the flags, probably the equivilant of £30 per year on the subsciptions. Greenstaff are long gone so it needs someone to come in collect, open up store, shut store. An hours job, but what a pain in the ass. To be considered only when your losing two flagsticks a day.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »
I tend to like flagsticks that are very stiff and as such more sensitive to indicating wind direction

Mr. Mucci, that is now painfully obvious to me once you stated that, but I never had made the connection before - thanks for sharing...

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »
At one time Los Angeles Country Club made their own flagsticks, they are wooden with the smaller in diameter metal attachment at the bottom. 

Does anyone know of a good metal attachment that would allow some balls upon being struck to drop into the hole?  At my club they just bounce off.  Are there wooden ones which go all the way down into the cup so that the ball strikes the wood.  If so are these more forgiving?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

Mr. Mucci, that is now painfully obvious to me once you stated that, but I never had made the connection before - thanks for sharing...
Chris,
Years ago, at a club where i was the Green Chairman,  I wanted both sides of the flags to have the club logo, which was rather distinctive with historical significance.  The problem was the weight of the double sided flag and the lack of effect the wind had on it.
But, when I combining inflexible, thick steel flag poles and the double sided flags, the flags responded more than adequately to any wind.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
At one time Los Angeles Country Club made their own flagsticks, they are wooden with the smaller in diameter metal attachment at the bottom.  Does anyone know of a good metal attachment that would allow some balls upon being struck to drop into the hole?  At my club they just bounce off.  Are there wooden ones which go all the way down into the cup so that the ball strikes the wood.  If so are these more forgiving?

A Superintendent in the NE conducted an experiment to see if there was any difference in how various flagsticks, 1/2", 3/4" tapered, and 1" (which sounds like the same ones that you have at your club)  reacted to chip shots.

They sent 100 balls (at each flagstick) down a 10' piece of PVC pipe that was elevated 2' feet off the green at the loading end, and the end touching the green was set 14" from the hole. This simulated a direct hit at a medium pace.  

The results: 72% went in using the 1/2" flagstick, 67% went in for the 3/4" tapered flagstick, but the absolute worst was the 1" pole, not one ball went in during the test.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:04:43 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
Jim,

That makes sense, the thicker the flagpole the further the surface is from the center of the hole, or put another way, the closer the surface is to the perimeter of the hole, effectively reducing the available space in he hole.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »
Pat,
All the poles were standard issue and all were the same diameter (1/2") at their bases.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »
What type of wood is being used for the wooden flagsticks?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
Pat,
I haven't been able to find the original article, but here's another super's findings that are similar:

http://vbccgrounds.blogspot.com/

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
Pat,
All the poles were standard issue and all were the same diameter (1/2") at their bases.

Jim,

The base isn't where the ball enters the hole, and the point of deflection is closer to the perimeter of the hole, which will, when combined with the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction, will cause the ball to be further from the center of the hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
Maybe you guys are saying the same thing, but I think the issue is the firmness or dulled impact forgiveness of the pole at the point of where the ball hits the pin, caused by the weight and girth of the shaft going up which is reduced vibration the thicker the pole above the POI.  Thus less vibration, more recoil off the impact of the strike, repelling the ball away from the hole.

Or it is the angle of the dangle.  ::)

My lack of a hole in one lifetime may be that I'm employing too much LOFT....  ::) :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back